Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I can't stand him, at all. He puts up Ennis numbers but is more expensive, and unlike Ennis, he's not willing to take abuse to score, he dives all over the place, and acts like he's going to be shot by a sniper if he approaches an area where he might be within 15 yards of another body. And his stupid face is oh so punchable. He's everything everyone always hated about Derek Roy, except he dives more and produces less, all while managing to be a black hole defensively. He disgusts me.

So much pent up hatred :lol:

I'll take your word for it, I've never really analyzed his play. If he really is all that he sounds even worse than Yak, or exactly the same really

I can only imagine a trade talk with the Oilers. 

GM: So, I hear you guys are open for business? I'm really looking at RNH and Eberle as options, and I have defensive pieces I'm willing to part with.

Chiarelli: You don't want those guys, they're overrated and overpaid. Who you really want are Schultz and Yakupov. Elite offensive talents!

GM: Actually no, Pete, I don't want them. I want the players who are good. Let's talk RNH in light of your logjam at center.

Chiarelli: Right, sorry, I'm distracted trying to fix another lottery. Anyway, I think I'm willing to part with Nikitin or Hendricks for the right price.

GM: Look, Pete, I don't want to be rude, but your coach just exploded saying huge changes might need to be made. I called hoping to help facilitate a deal that gets you what you want while helping my club. 

Chiarelli: Yakupov it is!

I really think this is how it's going to go down.

I am confident that it's not TM playing the part of the GM though.

So much pent up hatred :lol:

I'll take your word for it, I've never really analyzed his play. If he really is all that he sounds even worse than Yak, or exactly the same really

And 3 Concussions to boot for Skinner.

Given that Murray is heavily into analytics I can't see him being in on Boedker.

The Skinner Interest is probably from the author of the article reading too much into the fact that the Sabres had two scouts in attendance when the Canes played the Sharks last week. IMO the Sabres Scouts were there to scout the Sharks

Edited by BRAWNDO

There's still a lot of murkiness to this deadline. Is Ladd/Eriksson for sure going to be traded. Aside from Boedker who for sure will be traded who is at the near top. I would say McGinn fits in just a little below Boedker to be fair.

Agreed, based on analytics McGinn is a better player

Mike Harrington ‏@BNHarrington  2m

Scouts go to hockey games so I don't connect dots too much buuuuut two from Tampa here tonight is interesting. #Sabres

Anaheim does have depth on D

Ryan Wolfe

Doug Armstrong at tonight's ANA/BUF game, so who do they want? Chad Johnson? #sabres #nhl

I doubt it. They didn't make the move to replace Allen for the 18 games he was out, instead they just rode Elliot right on through every single game. I doubt they'll go out and get Johnson for the month Elliot is out.

Any move St. Louis makes has to match money-wise because they're right against the cap. Probably makes us a good trade partner.

As I said earlier, due to injuries the Blues need a goaltender. Elliot is out and Allen just came off the IR. They may go for Johnson. Steen is also out for at least month. Maybe they'll go for McGinn. 

Rumors  :(

Dreger: "I don't see a scenario where Taylor Hall gets traded any time soon by the Edmonton #Oilers."

But....

Any big moves may have to wait until the summer, but Connor McDavid could be the only untouchable on the Oilers roster

Travis Hamonic probably won’t be traded by February 29th

http://thehockeywriters.com/hockey-headlines-trade-rumors-on-ladd-drouin-the-oilers-and-more/

Edited by WildCard

I will be interested to see whether any WNY media member has any advance insight from sources as to any trades that occur.

This is a continuation of an unfair narrative. The local media is among the most respected in the league and several members have held high post within the writers membership board. I personally could do without some of their twitter banter and don't even like a couple of them but they are as connected as most local guys. They speculate and throw out some names but thankfully they don't go the Larry Brooks or Bruce Garrioch card and just throw a bunch of names at the board and tell you when they are right 1% of the time. There is no doubt that the Sabres, like most teams prefer to feed national sources when it suits them but

if you think the local media is surprised by anything that ends up happening then you are just not paying attention.

I think you're underestimating most local guys in other cities, tw. Our local guys get beat to the punch on probably 90% of relevant-to-the-national-audience stuff. Having seen the local media when I lived near Pittsburgh Yohe is almost always on top of their stories.

A lot of local guys I see around the country are the first to say something appears to be happening. They'll say something like "I'm hearing Edmonton and Carolina are working on a trade" which then seemingly pushes the national guys in the right direction because they'll be reporting on it shortly after. But nobody had any clue the Weber deal was going down and that may be because none of the local guys had the slightest idea of it happening so the national guys didn't sniff around.

I think you're underestimating most local guys in other cities, tw. Our local guys get beat to the punch on probably 90% of relevant-to-the-national-audience stuff. Having seen the local media when I lived near Pittsburgh Yohe is almost always on top of their stories.

A lot of local guys I see around the country are the first to say something appears to be happening. They'll say something like "I'm hearing Edmonton and Carolina are working on a trade" which then seemingly pushes the national guys in the right direction because they'll be reporting on it shortly after. But nobody had any clue the Weber deal was going down and that may be because none of the local guys had the slightest idea of it happening so the national guys didn't sniff around.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but most of the national guys who are actually accurate with trades, waivers, etc.... get their information from player agents and the like and not the local media. Not that it never happens but their #1 source is someone affiliated with or is actually a player agent.

This is a continuation of an unfair narrative. The local media is among the most respected in the league and several members have held high post within the writers membership board. I personally could do without some of their twitter banter and don't even like a couple of them but they are as connected as most local guys. They speculate and throw out some names but thankfully they don't go the Larry Brooks or Bruce Garrioch card and just throw a bunch of names at the board and tell you when they are right 1% of the time. There is no doubt that the Sabres, like most teams prefer to feed national sources when it suits them but

if you think the local media is surprised by anything that ends up happening then you are just not paying attention.

I don't agree with this at all (other than the shot at Garrioch, who is a bozo; Larry Brooks, OTOH is much more plugged into the Rangers than any WNY Sabres media member is).

What is the bolded based on?

Good insight.  Thanks.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but most of the national guys who are actually accurate with trades, waivers, etc.... get their information from player agents and the like and not the local media. Not that it never happens but their #1 source is someone affiliated with or is actually a player agent.

Good point regarding agents.  I see no reason why local guys can't cultivate relationships with agents -- and I'm confident that many do.

This is a strange tweet. Isn't it a non sequitur? If scouts routinely go to games, why would a TB scout at a Sabres game be interesting?

I believe its unusual for Tampa to have two scouts at a Ducks Game. Josh Cooper who covers quite a few Ducks Games and is a hockey writer for Yahoo, also mentioned that is not a common occurrence.

Based on reports from Tampa they were there to scout RHD, who are RFA or team controlled as a potential trade piece for Drouin. As the Ducks are loaded with D Men, it would make more sense for them to be scouting Anaheim over Buffalo. Pysyk would be the only defenseman on the Sabres that fits what they are looking for.

Edited by BRAWNDO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.