Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

The bottom line is that Bylsma is a pretty good coach, but hasn't displayed any high end awareness or tactics.

I still think he's working strategy (i.e., rolling out his system).  He's not worried about optimizing the tactical game (i.e., the lines that will produce goals while giving up the fewest) right now because he's still working the system with a team that was working a totally different system last year, and has had >50% turnover over the last season.  So he may know that playing Eichel's line a little less, or tweaking certain line combinations, would be likely to improve the team's standings, but he's been ignoring that up until now because he's more worried about implementing and reinforcing his system.

Right now, he's teaching a teenager to drive.  At some point he'll get them to drive at a NASCAR level, but not yet.

I still think he's working strategy (i.e., rolling out his system). He's not worried about optimizing the tactical game (i.e., the lines that will produce goals while giving up the fewest) right now because he's still working the system with a team that was working a totally different system last year, and has had >50% turnover over the last season. So he may know that playing Eichel's line a little less, or tweaking certain line combinations, would be likely to improve the team's standings, but he's been ignoring that up until now because he's more worried about implementing and reinforcing his system.

Right now, he's teaching a teenager to drive. At some point he'll get them to drive at a NASCAR level, but not yet.

That's not what it looks like to me at all. I see a structured team that isn't optimized.

Not completely satisfied with DD but I will tip my hat to him for a couple of reasons. We don't quit. We have a good number of come from behind games. The team is not fully built yet and I do believe that if Lehner didn't get hurt we would have at least three more wins but you don't give up on this team down 3-1 or behind entering the third. That alone is massive improvement and has to come from him.

I still think he's working strategy (i.e., rolling out his system).  He's not worried about optimizing the tactical game (i.e., the lines that will produce goals while giving up the fewest) right now because he's still working the system with a team that was working a totally different system last year, and has had >50% turnover over the last season.  So he may know that playing Eichel's line a little less, or tweaking certain line combinations, would be likely to improve the team's standings, but he's been ignoring that up until now because he's more worried about implementing and reinforcing his system.

Right now, he's teaching a teenager to drive.  At some point he'll get them to drive at a NASCAR level, but not yet.

I think similarly about Bylsma and his plan for this team. There are no expectations of playoffs although I was and still am one of those who thaught/think they would/will make a run at the tournament. This season is about acclimation and development of the young players here in Buffalo and throughout the system. The Amerks are playing the same uptempo quick skating style that the Sabres try to play every night with varying results. I really believe DD wants an attacking team with all 5 guys engaged and active at both ends of the ice but he's limited by lack of experience among the younger players and lack of speed and skill among some vets. With Gionta he has to handle him with a certain level of respect. Gionta , amongst others of course, is the one behind the scenes teaching the kids how to be pros on and off the ice. By all accounts he is excellent at this job. I think DD "rewards" Gionta for this kind of team first attitude with some ice time here and there. Also, he's the captain and a respected vet by the players so u can't just blatantly disrespect him.

That's not what it looks like to me at all. I see a structured team that isn't optimized.

Also, this is the N H effing L, not USA Hockey.

But TBJ's operating theory might fit nicely with the notion that GMTM is eyeing another top pick ("we're trying to get younger," he said recently).

Also, this is the N H effing L, not USA Hockey.

But TBJ's operating theory might fit nicely with the notion that GMTM is eyeing another top pick ("we're trying to get younger," he said recently).

Tonight's game, and this season is called "reaping what you sow." The coach (with regard to the record this year) is irrelevant. I was against that which will not be named, but if this is the course we've chosen, I'm probably in for another year. We are at least another top pick away from being competitive.

I'm finding it hilarious that the most vocal supporters of the unnamed are the most upset about where we are.

Watching Eichel and Samson is indeed reaping what we sow. Sew. Sowed.

The team wasn't going to be ultra competitive this year but you can't act like coaching has nothing to do with us not being better.

As for your observation on the tank supporters, I haven't seen that pattern at all. Plenty of people are upset about where the Sabres are, leave the tank in the past.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Sew what?

sewing-machine-close-up.jpg

:lol:

Watching Eichel and Samson is indeed reaping what we sow. Sew. Sowed.

The team wasn't going to be ultra competitive this year but you can't act like coaching has nothing to do with us not being better.

As for your observation on the tank supporters, I haven't seen that pattern at all. Plenty of people are upset about where the Sabres are, leave the tank in the past.

How can I leave it in the past when it has everything to do with what we are watching today.

Curiously, where are they in terms of points relative to last year.  For that matter, where is the entire league?  It seemed like last year there were some truly horrible teams but this year no one seems to be clearly heading for the top draft pick given the absolute uncertainty of the top 3 picks.  As poorly as the standings say they are just below .500 right?  Trying to remember how close they were last year to that number.

Three points better.  And that's with Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Kane, and others who were not here last year.

Don't bother trying to convince me that they should only be three points better.  They should be fifteen points better.

Not to pick this scab again, but are we really pretending that this team would have a better record if Lindy was the coach?

I'm not going to bite.

But this team might have a better record if NOLAN was the coach.  Three points.

I don't understand why "developing the youngsters" and "going all out to win" are mutually exclusive?

Why do the players have to play dump and chase and play on poorly conceived lines to develop?

Seems that winning and playing well would be the best development tool and we should be going all out to give the best chance for those outcomes.

It is getting said that we are 3 points better than last year at this time, but we had just finished our 10-3-3 stretch about now and had gotten to within 3 points of the playoffs iirc. If we continue at this pace we will be ~20 points higher than next year by April, and despite my skepticism of Bylsma, I really don't think that we'll lose 14 in a row like we did last year, as well as go something like 9-30-something to end the year. I think we'll slightly pick up the points pace and finish around 77-83 points.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Three points better.  And that's with Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Kane, and others who were not here last year.

Don't bother trying to convince me that they should only be three points better.  They should be fifteen points better.

I'm not going to bite.

and they might not. Nolan was and is an awful coach......."we need to try harder"...that's how Nolan coaches

I don't understand why "developing the youngsters" and "going all out to win" are mutually exclusive?

Why do the players have to play dump and chase and play on poorly conceived lines to develop?

Seems that winning and playing well would be the best development tool and we should be going all out to give the best chance for those outcomes.

Yes, yes, yes. Because when a franchise that tanked for two years finishes near the bottom in the third year with a new cast, losing is close to becoming entrenched. It's all some of these kids have ever known. You're halfway to being Edmonton, or one of the many teams that never were seen again after bottoming out. The outcome isn't necessarily going to be Pittsburgh or Chicago. If this season is proceeding according to Murray's plan, he's an idiot.

I'm not going to bite.

I have to admit, I think all of those guys are playing well, with the exception of Kane, who so far looks like he doesn't fit into whatever system we're pretending to play.

Also, guys like Foligno, Moulson and Gionta just aren't playing at an NHL level, simple as that.

Not sure how I feel about the D and goaltending, but I do know I'm not happy with basically half the forwards on this team.

I have to admit, I think all of those guys are playing well, with the exception of Kane, who so far looks like he doesn't fit into whatever system we're pretending to play.

Also, guys like Foligno, Moulson and Gionta just aren't playing at an NHL level, simple as that.

Not sure how I feel about the D and goaltending, but I do know I'm not happy with basically half the forwards on this team.

Those six words.

It is getting said that we are 3 points better than last year at this time, but we had just finished our 10-3-3 stretch about now and had gotten to within 3 points of the playoffs iirc. If we continue at this pace we will be ~20 points higher than next year by April, and despite my skepticism of Bylsma, I really don't think that we'll lose 14 in a row like we did last year, as well as go something like 9-30-something to end the year. I think we'll slightly pick up the points pace and finish around 77-83 points.

Excellent points all around.

I can say that while also still disliking Bylsma, right? If not, your points sucks, down with Bylsma!

I'm not going to bite.

Well, then I won't.  But you shouldn't ignore the compression in the standings this year.  You should also account for them playing many games against the top teams in the league so far.  

Harken back to the halcyon days of late October early November when the board was afire with playoff matchup talk. The difference is the goaltending has regressed to the mean and the speed of Pysyk supporting on the third pair is missing. We still lack finishers on the wing. I was not a fan of the hire, but I see some signs that the "structure" he is trying to install will bear fruit. Eichel is improving in his own zone because his responsibilities are pretty consistent. When he was struggling offensively he could still focus on those and keep his confidence up. Reinhart has been given a fairly conservative but well established role and he is excelling. Risto is becoming more of the O threat we hoped because the go no go decision points are more simple and apparent. The pk is much more disciplined.

The beer league structure of last year is gone. I still think we need some different players to be more competitive in the long haul but I will give a first year coach with a very young team some time. I see development and that is all I hoped for this season.

Good post.

Run?  Ennis saw Ovechkin coming and turned his back at the last minute expecting Ovechkin to stop. Ennis got all he deserved on that play.  It's the kind of crap that's been discussed elsewhere on the checking from behind and the propensity of players to put themselves in harms way now because they expect a player will not hit them.  Ennis should have prepared for the hit and he would have come out of it okay.

I think Pittsburgh has bigger issues than Bylsma.  They should be miles ahead of where they are.  It's clear something is rotten in there and until that is cleansed they are going nowhere.  I hesitate now to think Bylsma had too much to do with that.  I don't like dump and chase either.. that's one thing I wish would change.

Curiously, where are they in terms of points relative to last year.  For that matter, where is the entire league?  It seemed like last year there were some truly horrible teams but this year no one seems to be clearly heading for the top draft pick given the absolute uncertainty of the top 3 picks.  As poorly as the standings say they are just below .500 right?  Trying to remember how close they were last year to that number.

This year is a pass.  I still think the leadership is not gung ho for the top of the standings.  I think Pysyk is a huge loss.  They have a few more pieces to move around and the team improves dramatically next year.  I'll be unhappy if they are not in the playoffs next year.

Randall Flagg addressed this pretty well already, but a couple other things:

Although it was said we are only 3 points ahead of where we were last year at this point, our record at that point was clearly a mirage, coming off that unsustainable win streak. At the pace we are on now, we will finish 17 points ahead of where we were last year, with 71 points. That 8 wins more, a pretty respectable increase.

As for the league as a whole, Columbus is on pace for a last place finish with 68 points. Last year, three teams finished with less than that, and 2 in the 50s. That shows that although we are currently in 29th, what we are on pace for this year, 71 points, was good for 26th last year.

The strength of competition so far this year seems to have been higher, too, with all those early Western Conference games. But that is just a guess. I would have liked to be even more improved of course, like others here, but a 17 point improvement would be nothing to sneeze at.

I expect to contend for a playoff spot next year. I would obviously like to see us make it, but I don't expect it, at this point. It's not easy to make the playoffs when there are 16 teams in our conference fighting for 8 spots. After you separate the top 6 or so, you basically have 10 teams competing for 2 spots.

This is also a league where the defending Stanley Cup Champion LA Kings missed the playoffs the year after wining the Cup. It's hard to expect things in this league, sometimes.

Edited by Thorny

I expect to contend for a playoff spot next year. I would obviously like to see us make it, but I don't expect it, at this point. It's not easy to make the playoffs when there are 16 teams in our conference fighting for 8 spots. After you separate the top 6 or so, you basically have 10 teams competing for 2 spots.

post-136-0-75438500-1451870072_thumb.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.