Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

Technically my usual complaint is I want more flow, not necessarily more scoring :P

I also want more flow. Scoring isn't my complaint. Good post.

One begets the other. If the NHL isn't going to call interference then you'll never have flow no matter what you do.

Agreed. No interference calls = no flow. Where the problem lies is the general fan base. The NHL is a business. They'll provide what sells the most tickets/increases tv ratings. What is a head scratcher is the common complaint of the lack of scoring. If refs make the calls the amount of interference will drop, which would improve the flow of play and possibly increase scoring. 

Edited by Thanes16

Yep. Adding more junk ice does the opposite of what most people expect. That's exactly where you want the other team - skating around the perimeter.

This is really only true once a team is set up in a zone.  However, wider ice should also lead to the forwards being able to create more space when entering the zone and that could lead to scoring chances on the rush.  It also increases the chance of scoring when a player gets pulled out of position.  

It's not the holy grail, but I don't think it's nothing either.

This is really only true once a team is set up in a zone.  However, wider ice should also lead to the forwards being able to create more space when entering the zone and that could lead to scoring chances on the rush.  It also increases the chance of scoring when a player gets pulled out of position.  

The Sochi Olympics games were played on wider rinks and scoring was a problem. Goals weren't coming as average joe expected. 

Unless the source I checked was wrong, there were only 2.35 goals scored per game in the Sochi Olympics. Sure, it's made up of teams w/ little practice, but it does give an idea of how the widening of rinks may not increase amount of goals scored in the NHL. 

Know I posted this earlier, but this is CBS Sports opinion on it. 

"The misnomer is that since there is more ice to play on, there is more room to create and space to make passes. The flip side, though, is that play along the boards is that much further from the net and keeping teams to the outside results in sharper-angle shots from longer distances."

Edited by Thanes16

Not true. When dealing w/ a rush, you want to take the forward out wide - keeping him away from the prime scoring area known as the slot. With a wider rink, there is that much more real estate to allow them to have.

You also, on odd man rushes, have longer distances between players when making passes - which equates to lower completion percentages.

There's a reason that the Sabres and Bruins in the 70's had more 20 & 30 goal scorers than anyone else, besides having very good front offices - they played on 2 of the smallest rinks in the league.

Not true. When dealing w/ a rush, you want to take the forward out wide - keeping him away from the prime scoring area known as the slot. With a wider rink, there is that much more real estate to allow them to have.

You also, on odd man rushes, have longer distances between players when making passes - which equates to lower completion percentages.

There's a reason that the Sabres and Bruins in the 70's had more 20 & 30 goal scorers than anyone else, besides having very good front offices - they played on 2 of the smallest rinks in the league.

And in an era known for leaving the puck carrier alone and its interference calls. [/sarc]

Nothing needs to be done. This is just the natural ebb and flow of scoring in the NHL.

You definitely want to keep the forward wide, but in order to do so you have to skate wider yourself.  This leaves open space for a player to flow into.  If you don't keep close the player will have space to make a cut and then we are back into a 1 on 1 battle which for the most part negates rink size except that its possible for a player to have more attack speed due to slightly more space.  (Assuming the defender has played the forward too loose).

The longer pass piece I think plays out statistically, to a certain point.  But I also watch players hit long passes from their goal line onto the tape of a player at the opposing blue line. It will favor speed players over slower players to be certain.  The space is still going to be there.

As for the Bruins and Sabres I think you can make an argument about their ability to play small area games but that doesn't mean it was the reason they scored more.

Finally, for hte Olympics argument (from Thanes) - you are talking about a single tournament in which the best players in the world have been conditioned to play in a smaller space.  The coaches are conditioned to coach in smaller spaces.  In short, the game basically played like a regular NHL game.  The extra space was there but players aren't necessarily using it.

A winder rink wouldn't immediately translate into increased scoring.  The play styles have to adapt to the rink as well. 

You definitely want to keep the forward wide, but in order to do so you have to skate wider yourself. This leaves open space for a player to flow into. If you don't keep close the player will have space to make a cut and then we are back into a 1 on 1 battle which for the most part negates rink size except that its possible for a player to have more attack speed due to slightly more space. (Assuming the defender has played the forward too loose).

The longer pass piece I think plays out statistically, to a certain point. But I also watch players hit long passes from their goal line onto the tape of a player at the opposing blue line. It will favor speed players over slower players to be certain. The space is still going to be there.

As for the Bruins and Sabres I think you can make an argument about their ability to play small area games but that doesn't mean it was the reason they scored more.

Finally, for hte Olympics argument (from Thanes) - you are talking about a single tournament in which the best players in the world have been conditioned to play in a smaller space. The coaches are conditioned to coach in smaller spaces. In short, the game basically played like a regular NHL game. The extra space was there but players aren't necessarily using it.

A winder rink wouldn't immediately translate into increased scoring. The play styles have to adapt to the rink as well.

And as play styles adapt to the wider rinks, different types of play will also develop to counter the new style of play. The puck will continue to be kept on the perimeter. Widening the rinks will not increase goal scoring. NHL needs to keep it simple. Just enforce the rule book. Call interference when it happens. The game would eventually flow better and goal scoring would increase.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, that's a long piece.

Could you summarize, please?

If not that's OK.  I will assume it is outstanding, since you say it is ... I trust you almost as much as I trust chz.

Focuses on his upbringing - growing up the youngest of four boys in a family of five on an acreage in Michigan, and how his home life shaped him. Family of professional achievers, and real solid citizens.

Lots of testimony about his work ethic and the way he treats people right.

Late nights and early mornings building and practicing on a backyard rink and homemade golf course in the woods. He was a state champion golfer, but was still playing house hockey at 15. His dad was shocked he got drafted.

Family calls his calm, cerebral presence behind the bench a false front. his brothers call him Goober.

Ridiculously competive, but never in an abrasive way.

Give it a read if you get a chance. Really well written piece.

• 2 months later...

At this early point, Bylsma plays his top forwards more than every other coach, and it's not close. 23 teams have forwards in the top 50 in ice time per game, there are 5 Sabres. 

(3) O'Reilly

(11) Ennis

(14) Kane

(36) Eichel

(46) Gionta

Other teams top 50 in minutes:

Pittsburgh

(1) Crosby

(19) Kessel

(27) Malkin

Kings

(2) Kopitar

Oil

(4) RNH

(5) Hall

Devils

(6) Zajak

(7) Henrique

(23) Cammallari

Canucks

(8) Sutter

(17) Sedin

(25) Sedin

Stars

(9) Seguin

(24) Benn

Sens

(10) Stone

(22) Turris

Flames

(12) Monahan

(20) Gaudreau

Hawks

(13) Kane

(16) Toews

Flyers

(15) Giroux

(41) Voracek

Hurricane

(18) Staal

Blues

(21) Steen

(28) Tarasenko

(39) Backes

Wild

(26) Koivu

(37) Granlund

(40) Parise

Caps

(29) Oshie

(38) OV

Wings

(30) Zetterburg

(49) Abdelkader

Jets

(31) Ladd

(43) Little

Ave

(32) MacKinnon

(35) Landeskog

Bruins

(33) Eriksson

(34) Krejci

(44) Bergeron

Mighties

(42) Getzlaf

Sharks

(45) Pavelski

(48) Marleau

Canadiens

(47) Plekanec

Preds

(50) Forsberg

Bylsma plays Gionta wayyyy too much.  And he should probably give Ennis less ice time, too.  It might be a result of his forward pairing system.

It really is by design. By using pairs, Bylsma is basically rotating pairs and then mixing in a third forward. 

But it really allows him to double shift his best forwards without disrupting the rotation. 

It really is by design. By using pairs, Bylsma is basically rotating pairs and then mixing in a third forward. 

But it really allows him to double shift his best forwards without disrupting the rotation.

Agreed. The issue is so far Gionta is neither part of a pair, nor one of our best forwards.

I looked at Bylsma's last couple years in Pittsburgh, and that team had normal numbers.  The last few years the only players that were eyebrow raising was the number of minutes Kovalchuk was getting in New Jersey and the minutes that Toronto's first line were getting, but that was only 3 in the top 50

Good article on Byslma's impact

Bylsma came in with a system that suits today’s NHL and immediately implemented that plan with his hockey club.  The drastic change in philosophy is evident on the ice.  Over the first 9 games of the season, Buffalo has 52.0 even strength Corsi for percentage which is currently 9th in the league above teams like Tampa Bay and Anaheim.  If you recall last season the Sabres were one of the worst Corsi teams in NHL history.  To go along with that large improvement, the Sabres are also 4th in the NHL in shots allowed at 26.6 per game.  Another category that Buffalo was dead last in last year at 35.6 per game.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-bylsma-effect/

I absolutely freaking love everything about Bylsma. He just seems to be the perfect fit for this team and I can't wait until he hoists the Cup. I really feel like this is going to happen within just a few years.

He's really impressed me with his forward pairing system and how he's continued to be a student of the game in his off-time. He's showing that his excellent regular season record with the Pens was no fluke.

That said, his real test will be the first playoff series. I want to see how HD reacts to his system being countered. I'm not sure that he's the coach to get this team the cup, but he'll do right by this talented group of kids no matter what.

I absolutely freaking love everything about Bylsma. He just seems to be the perfect fit for this team and I can't wait until he hoists the Cup. I really feel like this is going to happen within just a few years.

I think we're better off with DD than with Babcock.  Give GMTM credit for not only bringing Bylsma in, but in stocking the pond for him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.