Did GMTM take a veiled shot at Ted Nolan during the WGR interview?

matter2003

Forgot to post this but when I was listening to the interview and heard the comment I immediately thought it was a veiled shot at Nolan, who is not an X's and O's coach...

The section of the interview starts around the 12:00 mark of the interview where they are talking about what kind of coaching candidates he is looking for...

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Tim-Murray-discusses-Babcock/21546278

Anyway the comment was:

"These coaches are pretty smart, they're very aware of analytics, they're very aware of a lot of things...I don't think there's anybody, not even the most old school guys that are gonna come in here and say 'We're gonna work hard, we're gonna forecheck hard, and we'll let the chips fall where they may.' There's way more preparation involved than that.  These guys aren't stupid.  This is a big job, and they come in prepared and try to wow you."

I was like...whoa...sounds like a direct shot at Nolan's "work hard and forecheck hard" mantra, lol

Edited by matter2003

Teddy Nolan was a fine coach and an admirable guy. His coaching (not his coaching style) was no longer what the Sabres needed. Time for a new coach.

I'm sorry, but if Nolan was a fine coach he wouldn't have so many issues finding and holding down a real job. OHL teams don't even want to hire him, what do you think that says?

Also, and this isn't directed at you necessarily, but what makes Nolan so "admirable?" I've seen that sentiment before and I've never understood it. Between the rumors from his first stint and his lack of relationship with GMTM, I don't see how anyone could believe Nolan was some great guy. 

Ted Nolan hasn't handled the politics of the front office well through his career, or at least is perceived around the league in that manner.  That has had an impact on his coaching career as much as his technical knowledge of the game.  He was never going to coach here beyond the tank period, and he surely knew that.

I really believe Murray when he said he was open minded about keeping Nolan prior to the player interviews.

From the reaction of the team after he was let go, along with player summations of how the season went, it seems that they weren't happy with what Nolan brought to the team. 

It could be that his coaching system worked 20 years ago, and today with the advanced technology and knowledge that is out there available he just never kept up with the times.

I think a more simple atmosphere like minor hockey might be better fit for him.

Forgot to post this but when I was listening to the interview and heard the comment I immediately thought it was a veiled shot at Nolan, who is not an X's and O's coach...

The section of the interview starts around the 12:00 mark of the interview where they are talking about what kind of coaching candidates he is looking for...

Anyway the comment was:

"These coaches are pretty smart, they're very aware of analytics, they're very aware of a lot of things...I don't think there's anybody, not even the most old school guys that are gonna come in here and say 'We're gonna work hard, we're gonna forecheck hard, and we'll let the chips fall where they may.' There's way more preparation involved than that.  These guys aren't stupid.  This is a big job, and they come in prepared and try to wow you."

I was like...whoa...sounds like a direct shot at Nolan's "work hard and forecheck hard" mantra, lol

Nope. No. And arrrrrgh. Way too much parsing going on here.

1. Murray never interviewed Nolan.

2. And Murray just said that there is not anybody that would do what he is describing. (Why would that not include Nolan)

Murray stopped thinking about Nolan more than a month ago. (Unlike this board)

If there is anyone not stuck in the past it is GMTM.

2. And Murray just said that there is not anybody that would do what he is describing. (Why would that not include Nolan)

Parsing as in taking parts out and putting stuff in?  Not at all..well, other than taking out the "ummm"/pauses, etc that Murray said/did.  That quote is unaltered, its exactly what he said---I went back and typed as I listened to the audio...

Parsing as in taking parts out and putting stuff in?  Not at all..well, other than taking out the "ummm"/pauses, etc that Murray said/did.  That quote is unaltered, its exactly what he said---I went back and typed as I listened to the audio...

I'm with Matter on this.... it is written as it sounds...

I am glad I got to listen to that segment.  Is it just my take, or did he insinuate that Harrington made stuff up?  He said only four people knew the results of the meeting and none of them talked.

I am coming around to him..  albeit slowly...  I think he needs to have a killer draft beyond Eichel though.  He needs to bring in a real veteran for this team that has us all swooning.  Last year's vets were caretakers.  This year he must add a puzzle piece.

Can someone edify me on the "Sabres are liars" reference?  Not sure I have the context for that.

Edited by wjag

I am glad I got to listen to that segment.  Is it just my take, or did he insinuate that Harrington made stuff up?  He said only four people knew the results of the meeting and none of them talked.

I am coming around to him..  albeit slowly...  I think he needs to have a killer draft beyond Eichel though.  He needs to bring in a real veteran for this team that has us all swooning.  Last year's vets were caretakers.  This year he must add a puzzle piece.

Can someone edify me on the "Sabres are liars" reference?  Not sure I have the context for that.

Not the Sabres are liar, Babcock lied. That's what Adam Benigni of Channel 2 asked Babcock, if he lied to the Sabres. Remember the reports were that the Sabres felt they had a deal, and were "livid" when Babcock went to Turrano.

Parsing means analyzing, not altering.  He's not accusing you of altering anything.

I really wonder if the fact that coaches like Murray described (Nolan) being gone from the NHL are the reason we are getting the kind of hockey that everyone has been complaining about. When every play is analyzed down to the smallest detail, and every player is analyzed down to the smallest tendency, when everyone is coached to do the right thing on every play, doesn't it make sense that the only outcome left is the flukey goal?

Anyway the comment was:

every coach has strengths and weaknesses...

no matter what any says, someone can find an insulted/injured party that fits.

I really wonder if the fact that coaches like Murray described (Nolan) being gone from the NHL are the reason we are getting the kind of hockey that everyone has been complaining about. When every play is analyzed down to the smallest detail, and every player is analyzed down to the smallest tendency, when everyone is coached to do the right thing on every play, doesn't it make sense that the only outcome left is the flukey goal?

Wow, great take.

I've been thinking this for a while. Everyone is coached to make only safe passes. Everyone is coached to take away time and space — short shifts, up-tempo. Never get outmanned, clog the crease. The players have gotten so smart and disciplined you see three or four breakdowns a game instead of three or four a shift.

The gap between the fourth-liners and the first-liners has shrunk so much. And the way goalies play is night and day to what it used to be.

The Torrey Mitchells of the word have no hands but they can skate with the big boys and they are coached to play low-risk games.

Look at a game from the '70s: those defencemen Perreault made look like idiots could barely skate backwards.

The goalies Rico embarrassed were kicking out legs and hands hoping they got to the right part of the net before the shot.

The league would be a much better place if Tommy McVie was back behind the bench and Bernie Wolfe was his goalie

Edited by dudacek

Except there are well run teams like the Hawks that use analytics and still create many scoring chances.  The problem is that the way the rules are enforced means that teams can Rangers their way to victory.

I think your point paints a vivid picture of why scoring is so far down from where it was in the 80s.  Entire teams know how to play defense, and do.

I've been thinking this for a while. Everyone is coached to make only safe passes. Everyone is coached to take away time and space — short shifts, up-tempo. Never get outmanned, clog the crease. The players have gotten so smart and disciplined you see three or four breakdowns a game instead of three or four a shift.

The gap between the fourth-liners and the first-liners has shrunk so much. And the way goalies play is night and day to what it used to be.

The Torrey Mitchells of the word have no hands but they can skate with the big boys and they are coached to play low-risk games.

Look at a game from the '70s: those defencemen Perreault made look like idiots could barely skate backwards.

The goalies Rico embarrassed were kicking out legs and hands hoping they got to the right part of the net before the shot.

The league would be a much better place if Tommy McVie was back behind the bench and Bernie Wolfe was his goalie

I watched a 1987 Islanders/capitals playoff game last night. There were guys falling down on the ice every single shift. It had a very beer league feeling about it .

Wow, great take.

Its a great take but its nothing new. People have been talking about coaching killing the game since the days of the New Jersey Devils. This along with a league that believes that parity leads to a financially healthy league gets you the kind of game we have today. Once guys like Yzerman and Lemieux become a bigger voice at league meetings, maybe then we will get a league that wants its star offensive players to excel.

This along with a league that believes that parity leads to a financially healthy league gets you the kind of game we have today. 

What is wrong with parity? I like unpredictability and the opportunity for all fans to get a chance to enjoy their team. A league with little parity has the tendency of having certain teams have 15 years runs while others get into the playoffs once due to miraculous play.  Non-believers of parity are typically on the side of a team which benefits from it, or a backs a team who should start dominating.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.