Not happy with Eichel?

Doohickie

According to SBNation, EIchel does not have to declare himself for the draft.

"The NHL entry draft is one of universal eligibility. If you're 18 and real (or not), you are eligible to be drafted into the NHL. One doesn't have to "declare"."

WE WANT TARO!!

WE WANT TARO!!

I've been critical of Murray, but people are taking his "disappointment" way out of context.  It is right and appropriate to say you are disappointed in not drafting first.  That is just common sense.  Not sure why people equate that to disappointment in Eichel.  I didn't hear that at all.  I'm sure if Murray had another chance, he would have just given the sterile, canned GM answer.

I like your insight. One of the benefits of sterility is the elimination of out of context conversations. One of the costs of candor is the examination of context. I am glad GMTM is candid. However, I know it will result in the occasional pretzel twisting conversation around motive.

I like your insight. One of the benefits of sterility is the elimination of out of context conversations. One of the costs of candor is the examination of context. I am glad GMTM is candid. However, I know it will result in the occasional pretzel twisting conversation around motive.

Holy understatement, Batman.

I am ANGRY!!!

I feel like we've been CHEATED. TWO YEARS in a row. I feel like as Buffalo, we can't win. Things are rigged against Buffalo. A S_hole like Edmonton has had four cups already, now they have four overall #1 picks in six years. I don't know much about Eichel; he's doing things against college kids; but I do know that Connor McDavid was THE PRIZE and we should have been entitled to draft him based on our finish and we didn't because of some CROOKED DEAL, not unlike NO GOAL.

I just feel it's in my right to express this as a Buffalo fan for many decades: whether it's the league or in the stars, Buffalo is always destined to come in second At Best. It's Charlie Brown trying to kick the football TIL THE END OF TIME. Deal with it.

Just like NO GOAL, just like THANK YOU SABRES, just like WIDE RIGHT, Buffalo has reacted with shock and dismay. The good losers. Heads hang dejectedly, hands holding heads. Classy losers. It's all right again this time, we compensate, we got another generational player.

The fact is the Sabres should have EKBLAD and McDAVID by now.

Just once, I want to see anger among the Buffalo fans, not just by useless internet comments but by actions. I want to see rioting in the streets, like the St. Patrick's Day Riot when Clarence Campbell showed up in Montreal for a game after he had suspended Maurice Richard for the year for striking a linesman. I want to see PASSION translated into actions. I want to see Gary Bettman COWER the next time he comes to Buffalo.

I would've said in previous years I am angry and I want an investigation but sadly more and more I realize what George Carlin said is true. They don't investigate themselves.

Edited by 716

I want to see PASSION.  No of this SISSY "I'm okay with JACK EICHEL" stuff!  JACK EICHEL is not who we deserve.  We deserve MCDAVID! MMMCCDDDAAAVVVIIIIDDD!!

After WIDE RIGHT. And NO GOAL. And TRADING MARSHAWN LYNCH FOR A BURRITO AND A FEW NAPKINS. And MY WIFE CHOKING ON A CHICKEN WING BONE. And NOW MCDAVID!

Edited by qwksndmonster

Some of the first people to routinely haul out the "troll" insult are the biggest trolls on this board.

If arguing that the most likely outcome actually occurring is a fix against the Sabres isn't trolling, then what is it? Mathematical incompetence? Stupidity? Would you prefer an assault on somebody's intelligence? The troll accusations directed at 716 seem appropriate in this case. 

Honestly, I'm not really sure what 716's motivation was. I didn't know if it was a sincere or sarcastic post. When I posted just after qwk, that was just a lucky two-fer.

Some of the first people to routinely haul out the "troll" insult are the biggest trolls on this board.

...but the pig likes it. ;)

There's a big difference between trolling and sarcasm.

According to SBNation, EIchel does not have to declare himself for the draft.

"The NHL entry draft is one of universal eligibility. If you're 18 and real (or not), you are eligible to be drafted into the NHL. One doesn't have to "declare"."

Not necessarily true. Eichel's birthday is in October. 

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/rules/

Eligibility: Any North American player who turns 18 by September 15 and does not turn 20 by Decemeber 31 is eligible for the draft. Any non-North American player can be drafted at any age if they are at least 18 by September 15. If a player is 18, they must declare themselves eligible, but if a player turns 19 by September 15th, they are automatically eligible for selection in the draft.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

There's a big difference between trolling and sarcasm.

Not necessarily true. Eichel's birthday is in October. 

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/rules/

Eligibility: Any North American player who turns 18 by September 15 and does not turn 20 by Decemeber 31 is eligible for the draft. Any non-North American player can be drafted at any age if they are at least 18 by September 15. If a player is 18, they must declare themselves eligible, but if a player turns 19 by September 15th, they are automatically eligible for selection in the draft.

That has to be something that website took from the CBA prior to the 2005 lockout.  There is nothing in the current CBA that requires anyone to declare for the draft.

That has to be something that website took from the CBA prior to the 2005 lockout.  There is nothing in the current CBA that requires anyone to declare for the draft.

This is from NHL.com. So you're right. The date for the 19th birthday was extended to December 31. Either way, they must "opt in". Prior to May 1 OR 7 days after his team has completed competition. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

Entry Draft Eligibility

All players age 19 or older [(i) any player who will be age 18 on or before September 15 in the year in which such Entry Draft is held, or (ii) reaches his 19th birthday between September 16 and December 31, both dates included, next following Entry Draft, can attain eligibility by delivering to the League a written notice (Opt in Form) prior to the later of May 1, or seven days following the date such player finishes competing on his team in the year in which such draft is to be held.] are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:

(i) A Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;

(ii) A player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;

(iii) A player who previously played in the League and became a free agent pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement;

(iv) A plyer age 21 or older who had played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19 or 20

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This is from NHL.com. So you're right. The date for the 19th birthday was extended to December 31. Either way, they must "opt in". Prior to May 1 OR 7 days after his team has completed competition. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

Entry Draft Eligibility

All players age 19 or older [(i) any player who will be age 18 on or before September 15 in the year in which such Entry Draft is held, or (ii) reaches his 19th birthday between September 16 and December 31, both dates included, next following Entry Draft, can attain eligibility by delivering to the League a written notice (Opt in Form) prior to the later of May 1, or seven days following the date such player finishes competing on his team in the year in which such draft is to be held.] are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:

(i) A Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;

(ii) A player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;

(iii) A player who previously played in the League and became a free agent pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement;

(iv) A plyer age 21 or older who had played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19 or 20

It seems like they may have carried that over from the old rules because there is no mentioning of that at all in the CBA.  Here is the cut and paste from the current CBA:

8.4 Eligibility for Claim.
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;
(iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent
pursuant to this Agreement;
(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous
Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North
America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the
League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d); and
(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry
Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free

Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d)

I'm a bit confused by what you linked to on the NHL website.  How did you get to that link?  The only place I even see the words "Hockey Operations" doesn't have an active link.

not true, its just you

I am ANGRY!!!

I feel like we've been CHEATED. TWO YEARS in a row. I feel like as Buffalo, we can't win. Things are rigged against Buffalo. A S_hole like Edmonton has had four cups already, now they have four overall #1 picks in six years. I don't know much about Eichel; he's doing things against college kids; but I do know that Connor McDavid was THE PRIZE and we should have been entitled to draft him based on our finish and we didn't because of some CROOKED DEAL, not unlike NO GOAL.

I just feel it's in my right to express this as a Buffalo fan for many decades: whether it's the league or in the stars, Buffalo is always destined to come in second At Best. It's Charlie Brown trying to kick the football TIL THE END OF TIME. Deal with it.

Just like NO GOAL, just like THANK YOU SABRES, just like WIDE RIGHT, Buffalo has reacted with shock and dismay. The good losers. Heads hang dejectedly, hands holding heads. Classy losers. It's all right again this time, we compensate, we got another generational player.

The fact is the Sabres should have EKBLAD and McDAVID by now.

Just once, I want to see anger among the Buffalo fans, not just by useless internet comments but by actions. I want to see rioting in the streets, like the St. Patrick's Day Riot when Clarence Campbell showed up in Montreal for a game after he had suspended Maurice Richard for the year for striking a linesman. I want to see PASSION translated into actions. I want to see Gary Bettman COWER the next time he comes to Buffalo.

I would've said in previous years I am angry and I want an investigation but sadly more and more I realize what George Carlin said is true. They don't investigate themselves.

1st the Sabres wanted Reinhart from the start IMO

2nd we tanked this year to ensure we got one of the top 2 players both generational talents.. Mission accomplished.

Not sure why the anger.. I'm Slightly disappointed but no anger.. we accomplished what we hoped to accomplish

It's pretty simple actually. For once, it would be nice if Buffalo had the best of the best. If we were on all of the headlines, had the spotlight, the poster-child, etc. I'm disappointed too, but you get more attention for winning than anything else, so if Eichel and Murray bring a Cup to Buffalo, we'll have our moment in the sun.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.