GDT: The Lottery (Eichel is OURS)

Johnny DangerFace

He was so disconsolate about not getting Connor McDavid that his exit interviews at the lottery came with the deadened intonation of a hostage reading a list of demands.

I stopped reading at that point.  Two things wrong with that phrase.  The first is even relating such a subject to this situation.  The second is that even if the author had used a more appropriate comparison the point is that Tim Murray has the same damn expressionless intonation in everything he does.

Hey Tim, congratulation on getting married! -   "Thanks, she had the best odds to make a good life moving forward.  You never know. It's free to listen to other offers."

Hey Tim, congratulations on the birth of your first child! - "Thanks, the future is uncertain for him.  You expect he'll be successful but he could be a criminal. We'll see what happens."

Hey Tim, sorry to hear about your dog passing away. - "Thanks, at that age you have to expect something to happen. It's likely going to be a bad outcome."

I stopped reading at that point.  Two things wrong with that phrase.  The first is even relating such a subject to this situation.  The second is that even if the author had used a more appropriate comparison the point is that Tim Murray has the same damn expressionless intonation in everything he does.

Hey Tim, congratulation on getting married! -   "Thanks, she had the best odds to make a good life moving forward.  You never know. It's free to listen to other offers."

Hey Tim, congratulations on the birth of your first child! - "Thanks, the future is uncertain for him.  You expect he'll be successful but he could be a criminal. We'll see what happens."

Hey Tim, sorry to hear about your dog passing away. - "Thanks, at that age you have to expect something to happen. It's likely going to be a bad outcome."

If you had kept reading, you would have found that the author believed McDavid benefited from being linemates with Dylan Strome...which ya know, factually, didn't even take place.

"They see McDavid as The Next Sidney Crosby. They see Eichel as The Next I Dunno Steve Yzerman Or Something. Both are going to probably end up as all-time great players, but you'd rather have Crosby than Yzerman. And it's not a slight against Yzerman — or Eichel for that matter — to say that."

If I had the choice between Yzerman and Crosby, I take Yzerman every single time.

"They see McDavid as The Next Sidney Crosby. They see Eichel as The Next I Dunno Steve Yzerman Or Something. Both are going to probably end up as all-time great players, but you'd rather have Crosby than Yzerman. And it's not a slight against Yzerman — or Eichel for that matter — to say that."

If I had the choice between Yzerman and Crosby, I take Yzerman every single time.

I caught that in the article and thought the same thing.

Hey there Monkeygirl,

Good to hear from you.

And is that Russian lady friend of yours named Anna, by chance?

As in Anna kournikova? Haha, no, these are Tatar Russians we hang with. Very unique ethnically. My life is very UN-like.

Anyways, hey to everyone and hopefully I'll post more often. Why not eh?

As in Anna kournikova? Haha, no, these are Tatar Russians we hang with. Very unique ethnically. My life is very UN-like.

Anyways, hey to everyone and hopefully I'll post more often. Why not eh?

You probably missed the whole Russian Sabrespace thing over the last couple months, kicked off by the poster formerly known as Yuri changing name to Anna Akhmatova. You'll see Russian dalliances in several posters' name history (myself included).

Edited by MattPie

You probably missed the whole Russian Sabrespace thing over the last couple months, kicked off by the poster formerly known as Yuri changing name to Anna Akhmatova. You'll see Russian dalliances in several posters' name history (myself included).

Yes I seem to have missed that between all the poopy diaper changes but I am slowly emerging from the dust and I am ready for good hockey in buffalo! And I am totally enjoying the playoffs!

Edited by Monkeygirl

Indeed. Anyone remember which thread had all the pictures of Russian athletes?

GDT when the Yotes beat the Sharks

"They see McDavid as The Next Sidney Crosby. They see Eichel as The Next I Dunno Steve Yzerman Or Something. Both are going to probably end up as all-time great players, but you'd rather have Crosby than Yzerman. And it's not a slight against Yzerman — or Eichel for that matter — to say that."If I had the choice between Yzerman and Crosby, I take Yzerman every single time.

I kinda liked this one as well

What we can also do here, though, is look at Eichel in comparison with the other No. 1 picks of the last few years. It's not a stretch to say that if he had been born a few weeks earlier, he would have been No. 1 overall ahead of Aaron Ekblad. In fact, he'd probably have been the No. 1 pick in any recent draft year that wasn't Nathan MacKinnon's, and he likely would have given MacKinnon a run for his money. Just look at the points-per-game situations for each of the No. 1 picks from 2005 (Sidney Crosby) to last year (Ekblad) and see how Eichel and McDavid alike stack up.

Yes I seem to have missed that between all the poopy diaper changes but I am slowly emerging from the dust and I am ready for good hockey in buffalo! And I am totally enjoying the playoffs!

I failed to pass on my congrats on the blessed news.

Alhamdulillah.

-----

#wilbursightning

I'll say another thing for that article, it brings up a really good point in how we evaluate NCAA play. We've built a pretty solid foundation on which we can judge prospects in the juniors because the league has been very consistent in its play and talent. But the NCAA is a totally different league. It's gotten much better, and the range of talent/physicality is much different. It's easy to dismiss how impressive Eichel's play is when you look at his 71pts to McDavid's 120pts. But then you take into account his competition, freshman status on the top line of a should be National Champion team, and it really wows you. 

The article mentions the Clutterbuck Multiplier, when Cal switched from the NCAA to Juniors midseason and blew the competition away. I'm glad Jack played in the NCAA as it probably makes him more NHL ready, but man would it be fun to see how he would have faired in Halifax with Ehlers on his wing. Ehlers, who put up 100pts without Jack. I think if he did play in juniors and had that opportunity to put up those ungodly stats like McDavid did, people wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him as the automatic 2nd. 

I hear you. RosePie turned 8 months over the weekend and she's finally at a point where we can reasonably expect her to entertain herself for periods of time so we can get things done. Unfortunately, I spend too much time here and not anything useful.

Who says edmonton doesn't pick eichel :p

The entire population of Canada who can't tolerate the idea that a generational Canadian talent could in any way be second to a generational American player. Don Cherry would commit hari kari on national TV if that ever occurred (although, that would be an easier sight to behold than his normal attire).

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.