GDT: The Lottery (Eichel is OURS)

Johnny DangerFace

Right so when the hell does he say "I'm disappointed for our fans"

Later in the article they reference it:

“I feel for our fans,” Murray said. “I mean, we went through a tough year, and I think that they were extremely excited about Connor, certainly because he plays in Erie.”

Murray reaffirmed his belief that the lottery system is not fair for rebuilding teams, saying the worst team should get the No. 1 pick. The league does not agree, because of clear concerns of teams tanking for draft picks. In fact, the rules are tightening for bottom-feeders with the top three choices selected via lottery starting next year.

“It’s not the disappointment in the player. It’s just the process for me,” Murray said. “... It would be fine with me if they phoned me and told me you didn’t win. But this is what they do. Thankfully it’s a short drive from Buffalo. I’d hate like hell to be flying across the country to take part in it. It’s part of what our league does and it’s created a lot of buzz. So I don’t want to be a buzz-kill on this.”

Edited by The Jokeman

It has nothing to do with Buffalo, the lottery is just that 

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-draft-lottery-a-historical-perspective/

It's EVERYTHING to do with Buffalo.  Look how well Edmonton has managed in the lottery in the past 6 years.    

Bottom line - Eichel is good.  McDavid is better.   We came in 2nd best yet again.   

uhh I give up on finding this. Every media source links to the same tweet and yet I honestly can't find this in the presser.  I asked the Sabres and the Toronto Sun guy about it.  Goodnight Sabre land.  We can figure this out tomorrow but Tim Murray gushed over Eichel's ability to jump to the NHL next year so idk.  

it.  We get Jack Eichel, I am stoked. 

uhh I give up on finding this. Every media source links to the same tweet and yet I honestly can't find this in the presser.  I asked the Sabres and the Toronto Sun guy about it.  Goodnight Sabre land.  We can figure this out tomorrow but Tim Murray gushed over Eichel's ability to jump to the NHL next year so idk.  

###### it.  We get Jack Eichel, I am stoked. 

Nice take here. Thanks for trying to track down this quote. I think it was an embellishment of his presser comments.

This will be a distant memory when Eichel is taking the opening face off of the season next October. He's at least our best C since Patty and my hunch is he'll end up being the best since Bert by the time it's over. 

GO SABRES!!!

My problem with that is everyone is quoting that one guy.  Part of his quote comes from the press conference and I can find it.  Murray talks about how you would want the best player.  After that he does not say "I'm disappointed for our fans"  unless wgr edited the presser which doesn't seem like they did

Yeah i don't hear him saying that either.

Also i love Eichel, bigger, more physical and better shot.

Guess i need a new avatar, now the tank is officially over.

Edited by Heimdall

Exactly.

Did you keep reading after page 6?  Man, to think that so easily could have been us.  There are Coyote fans in tears tonight.  Many fans blaming that late 'meaningless win' against SJ and how they are cursed.  The fan base here would be saying the exact same thing if roles reversed.  I actually do feel for Arizona tonight.

To be honest, we should all be excited he is out west, I really didn't want him in Toronto, boston. 

Colorado, dallas, and la were a big no no for me as well.   He'll look good next to hall though, but still can't see them making the playoffs unless they make huge leaps in D and goalie.

Did you keep reading after page 6?  Man, to think that so easily could have been us.  There are Coyote fans in tears tonight.  Many fans blaming that late 'meaningless win' against SJ and how they are cursed.  The fan base here would be saying the exact same thing if roles reversed.  I actually do feel for Arizona tonight.

I posted in that forum toward the end.  Even wished them luck in the lottery.

I posted in that forum toward the end.  Even wished them luck in the lottery.

I almost posted but feels like rubbing it in at this point.  Two weekends ago is the difference between our board and theirs.  I wasn't even stressed about the lottery as Eichel looks amazing.  The drop between 2 and 3 is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>between 1 and 2 IMO.  I can't imagine how this week even went for Yotes fans leading up to the lottery.  So much pressure.

The guy that admitted that he wished he could stop thinking about McDavid so much...yeah, big mystery on what he is disappointed about.

P.S. I don't have an active Twitter account.

That GMTM says stupid things when you put a microphone in front of him?  

Not that you care but I'm sure both of you saw the reaction of the fans at 716 no? You know that place by the rink. They were packed and the collective expression they let out fits perfectly with what Murray said.

Stop this PA type crap already. Do you think Eichel's not aware of the crush Buffalo has for McDavid? Think it's going to bother him? Just stop it already.

And most fans with a clue would be more disappointed about not having pizza logs until October than about drafting Jack Eichel. 

GO SABRES!!!

Post of the day!! :beer:

Did you keep reading after page 6? Man, to think that so easily could have been us. There are Coyote fans in tears tonight. Many fans blaming that late 'meaningless win' against SJ and how they are cursed. The fan base here would be saying the exact same thing if roles reversed. I actually do feel for Arizona tonight.

I wanted Arizona to get McDavid if he could go to a different team. I'm still believe like Murray does worst team picks first. I'm no fan of any draft lotto. I get why these leagues put it in place but the best league in the world doesn't even do it. I'm sick of hearing people talk about Murrays comments. We ain't getting McDavid and Eichel is a damn good player. It should be an interesting series between Erie and the Soo Greyhounds as you have a big physical team with 2 Sabres prospects on plus Darnell Nurse is on the hounds. I think Murray has something up his sleeve and is going to make a move at the draft or after to speed up the rebuild. I look at the roster this year that was having trouble scoring and now move Kane, Eichel, Reinhart into the lineup plus move Psysk and possibly McCabe into the lineup and this team should be pretty darn exciting to watch.

To be honest, we should all be excited he is out west, I really didn't want him in Toronto, boston.

Colorado, dallas, and la were a big no no for me as well. He'll look good next to hall though, but still can't see them making the playoffs unless they make huge leaps in D and goalie.

I would have been pissed if Boston or Los Angeles would have landed him. That u give 2 bubble teams that are both still really good but have offseasons would be a disaster. Really! How would that be fair? Thank god it didn't. But I'm not happy that Edmonton received another #1 pick. I'm sure Flames fans are pissed because it seems like Edmonton has a silver spoon in their mouth. If they were the worst team all those seasons then fine. I'm a believer that the worst team in any sport gets the top pick. Players and coaches aren't purposely throwing games. Edited by SabresBillsFan

Leave it to our fan base to get into a spitting contest because we're drafting #2 instead of #1. We're getting Jack Eichel, and that's awesome. Our best draft pick since Perreault. Be happy and hug.

I hope you are not surprised by any of this. Even if the Sabres would have won the draft lottery there would be complaints. It's what this fan base does best. 

I would have been pissed if Boston or Los Angeles would have landed him. That u give 2 bubble teams that are both still really good but have offseasons would be a disaster. Really! How would that be fair? Thank god it didn't. But I'm not happy that Edmonton received another #1 pick. I'm sure Flames fans are pissed because it seems like Edmonton has a silver spoon in their mouth. If they were the worst team all those seasons then fine. I'm a believer that the worst team in any sport gets the top pick. Players and coaches aren't purposely throwing games.

Why is giving one of the worst teams in the league a chance at McDavid automatically fair? It's not fair to McDavid. It's not fair to the NHL? And it's not fair to fans outside of the team that drafts him? Lottery in it's self is not "fair." Wouldn't "fair" be eliminating the draft all together? There's nothing fair about any draft, you want fair then make every draft eligible kid a free agent. That's fair. 

Time to embrace Jack Eichel.  I really loathe the Oilers from hear on out.  It's not their fault for winning the lottery, but really they develop their players terribly.  I preferred McDavid in every sense, but it is what it is.  

Why is giving one of the worst teams in the league a chance at McDavid automatically fair? It's not fair to McDavid. It's not fair to the NHL? And it's not fair to fans outside of the team that drafts him? Lottery in it's self is not "fair." Wouldn't "fair" be eliminating the draft all together? There's nothing fair about any draft, you want fair then make every draft eligible kid a free agent. That's fair. 

Your sentiments on the drafting process in team sports makes some sense in an "anarchist" sort of way.  However, how is not helping the lower teams improve off of a bad situation not the way to get McDavid who is the best player in the draft.  That is how drafting has worked from day 1.  Your a team of the Buffalo Sabres not the LA Kings or Anaheim Ducks.  I'm confused at this thinking.  So rather than get a McDavid type player, you'd rather have Buffalo further suffer and reward a team who but 5-6 years ago was in the lottery?

There's nothing fair about any draft, you want fair then make every draft eligible kid a free agent. That's fair. 

From a fans point, that's fair if you have a owner with deep pockets that doesn't mind spending, but not very fair to the fans of teams that don't want to or don't have the resources to get into bidding wars for top talent.

I'm not crazy about the lottery system as it is/was now, but I prefer it to just automatically rewarding the bottom team with the 1st pick. Hopefully the brain-trust of the NHL  :blink: will find a better option.

The team was terrible for the last 2 years in hopes of getting the best player in this draft. Not the 2nd best.

I pulled this as I was going through the thread and then you built upon it.  For what it's worth they weren't terrible two years ago so they could draft 1st this year.  They only have to be terrible one year.  Still, as the system goes no team is guaranteed the top pick so unless you are a moron you can't lose to get #1.. you can only lose to get pick 1 or 2.  The fact that you completely ignore that and believe that somehow the Sabres weren't aware of this fact is ridiculous.  It happened last year to the Sabres.  Clearly they know how it works.

Anyhow, the bottom line is this. We do have loads of good young talent here now. The B.S. is done with and so is the tanking. It is most definitely time to move forward with Jack. I just hope we get a very good coach with a very good system. This will be the next really important move by our GM. God bless you Jack and Tim Murray, please bring respectability back to this franchise. I have not worn my closet full of Sabres gear in 3 years and am dying to break it out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why wouldn't you wear the Sabres stuff?  What does that say about you?  I'd wear it.  When people make a comment you just say "I'm here through the good and the bad."  End of story.  Otherwise.. find another bandwagon.

Seriously.  Or any media training at all.

Just off the top of my head, here's what you say: "Of course you always want to draft first, but we're not disappointed right now and our fans shouldn't be disappointed either.  We know there are two really special players coming out of this draft and we're excited to add one of them. Better days are coming for this team."

Whining about how you always want to have the best and not the second best, or how the NHL should have never changed the odds in the draft last Summer sounded ****ing terrible tonight.

Because that's the line of crap everyone spews and no one believes. If he had said that we'd be on here picking him apart for being delusional about not wanting the #1 pick.  He lays it out exactly like it is.  The fact that some people can't handle reality doesn't surprise me. He's not whining, he's making an absolute statement.  Who the hell chooses the second best of anything willingly?  Who?  No one.  It's stupid.

He hates the system.  And you know what cracks me up is that so many people on here are bitching about the system too.  So here we are blasting Murray for getting shots in on the NHL while also taking those same shots.  This place amazes me sometime.

Potentially the difference between Crosby and Bobby Ryan, for starters.

Hate hate hate.  It's all you got.  All of the people who get paid to evaluate talent seem to disagree with you.  So, please give me some reason why I should give your comment here any merit?

"I'm disappointed for our fans." -GMTM

What does that tell you?

It tells me that he hates the fact the NHL has a lottery and because of that "our fans" have to deal with no getting the #1 pick.

Puck Daddy is generally reliable. Are you suggesting that this quote was never uttered to anyone?

Rolling Stone was deemed pretty reliable too.. until they had a UVa rape story to run with. 

Does it suck they don't pick #1?  Sure.  Does it suck they get Eichel?  No.. not at all.

Get over it.  This team will be a lot better next year and there is a lot of talent.  

At this point I swear people on here would find something to complain about if the Sabres won the Stanley Cup.

Later in the article they reference it:

So he's not bummed about getting Eichel, he's bummed that a team like Edmonton can just luck into the first overall pick despite how lucky they've already been over the last few years. He thinks the process is jacked up and that fans of teams like ours, who go through this stuff and it's not fun, deserve to have the number one pick over a team like Edmonton.

I think that's a reasonable shot at the process.

I watch McDavid play here in Erie all the time. Connor loves Sherry Bassin the owner. The Oilers owner has forced Bassin to declare bankruptcy. Connor's dad offered his lawyer services to Bassin. Oilers have been trying to buy the Erie Otters for about four years now. That's a slap in the face. I would imagine the Connor doesn't want to play for the Oilers. 

I wonder if the McDavids will pull a Lindros. Or maybe tell MacTavish he won't sign if they draft him. I think Connor has too much class for that. But who knows? It must be a very uncomfortable position for him to be in. I think he handled it well. Being mentored by a pro like Bobby Orr (his agent) probably helped.

I don't think this is over.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.