2015 NHL Playoffs -- Round 1

Hoss

I was gonna ask about Bo.  Was he the Zemgus Girgensons of that draft?  Is he even better?

I think Horvat may be better than Zemgus. I like Z, don't get me wrong. I think that Horvat has that extra little something that makes him very special. I truly believe the Canucks trade (Schneider) for his pick was a blessing for the Canucks long term. For a rookie player, he was very reliable. Number one on the team in face-offs by a mile. Got quicker as he got leaner/stronger and better as the season went on, which is rare for a lot of rookies.

But I love Z

The overall quality level of playoff teams this year is as low as it has been in recent memory.

The big bad Bruins who used to be a significant obstacle to emerging from the East didn't even qualify...Pittsburgh gone without too much fuss...

It will be interesting to see what the Sabres can do next year, in what I presume to be a non-playoff season.

They could surprise.  

The overall quality level of playoff teams this year is as low as it has been in recent memory.

The big bad Bruins who used to be a significant obstacle to emerging from the East didn't even qualify...Pittsburgh gone without too much fuss...

It will be interesting to see what the Sabres can do next year, in what I presume to be a non-playoff season.

They could surprise.

Look no further than Calgary, the youth totally took that series over.

I think Horvat may be better than Zemgus. I like Z, don't get me wrong. I think that Horvat has that extra little something that makes him very special. I truly believe the Canucks trade (Schneider) for his pick was a blessing for the Canucks long term. For a rookie player, he was very reliable. Number one on the team in face-offs by a mile. Got quicker as he got leaner/stronger and better as the season went on, which is rare for a lot of rookies.

But I love Z

Not at all surprising to hear that he got better as the year went on.  He's a very similar player to Zemgus, but always had a higher ceiling (according to scouts).  Glad to hear he's coming along.

But I love Z

I agree on Horvat. A future leader of that team. Already leading in a lot of ways. Sometime over the next couple of years the torch will be passed from the Sedins to younger guns like Horvat.

They could surprise.  

I don't think the overall quality level is lower, part of the reason the Pens went without much fuss is because of how good the Rangers are. Incredibly boring, but really good. They almost completely shut down the Pens offense in 4 out of the 5 games. 

I do agree though there appears to be less dominant teams this year, it really seems like the playoffs are wide open and it's anybody's game at this point.

Edited by Thorny

At least it's not the NBA... Only one interesting series that anybody was torn on who would win.

The rest were pretty much locks. Yuck. Crap league.

That's what happens when you have sub-.500 teams in the playoffs. I don't watch enough of it to know how that happens, but it seems every year the 6-8 seeds are below .500

3 sweeps, 2 series at 3-1, 1 series at 2-1. and 1 series tied at 2-2

Edited by WildCard

These announcers for the Sens-Habs game are so pro-Sens it makes me nauseous. A blatant trip and the one goes off on how you can't call it at this point Ina a playoff game...

Earlier on the terrible whistle they said they were right to blow the whistle because you can't have a scrum around a goaltender...

The game I watched, they kissed Price's keister all night.

I dunno, while I'm fully aware what a hot goaltender can do...I just can't bet on a team whose fortunes rise and fall on one.

Understood.  I think that team is more than just Price, but I hear you.

I thought PhD was talking about Dubnyk?

That said... I can't imagine Minnesota matching Chicago and beating them four times.

I also don't think Montreal can score enough to beat the Rangers four times (if they both make it to ECF).

I thought PhD was talking about Dubnyk?

That said... I can't imagine Minnesota matching Chicago and beating them four times.

I also don't think Montreal can score enough to beat the Rangers four times (if they both make it to ECF).

Nah, I was talking about Price. I think the Habs miss the playoffs if he doesn't have a Hasek-like season. I think Minnesota is overall a much better team...they don't need Dubnyk to be otherworldly, they just need him to be good.

That was an awful whistle in Ottawa, but as mentioned by the broadcasters, the coach remained very calm. Ottawa needs a break here, they've been playing well enough

These announcers for the Sens-Habs game are so pro-Sens it makes me nauseous. A blatant trip and the one goes off on how you can't call it at this point Ina a playoff game...

Earlier on the terrible whistle they said they were right to blow the whistle because you can't have a scrum around a goaltender...

I was listening to the Sens radio broadcast while cleaning the garage, and the announcers were opening questioning the quality of the officials for the entire series. I don't know if that had merit since I didn't see any of it, but it was surprising how negative they were.

I was listening to the Sens radio broadcast while cleaning the garage, and the announcers were opening questioning the quality of the officials for the entire series. I don't know if that had merit since I didn't see any of it, but it was surprising how negative they were.

I didn't follow the whole series but in that particular game I though the refs let a lot go which is typical in playoff hockey, if anything Ottawa that game I believe had several more power plays that the habs, including one with 3 minutes to go, Ottawa couldn't capitalize and looked terrible on the PP. The whistle was def early on that goal, but from the ref angle and the way price made it look, he fooled the refs into thinking he had in locked up. Honest mistake, but costly and unfair in a 1-0 hockey game

Tampa decided to show up tonight. Tyler Johnson has been incredible this series. Kids headed for a big paycheck sometime down the road if he keeps this up.

Game 7 for the Isles-Caps, anyone watching this one? Predictions?

I want the Caps, I'll guess 4-3 Caps.

Edited by WildCard

I don't think the overall quality level is lower, part of the reason the Pens went without much fuss is because of how good the Rangers are. Incredibly boring, but really good. They almost completely shut down the Pens offense in 4 out of the 5 games. 

I do agree though there appears to be less dominant teams this year, it really seems like the playoffs are wide open and it's anybody's game at this point.

Your second paragraph is closer to what I was trying to get at.

I suppose my point was that, whether real or just perceived, it seems like there isn't a single team in the East that scares me as a Sabres fan.  A few years ago, I couldn't have said that.

I think there is room for some type of creative spark to hit the Sabres which sees us in the playoffs sooner than anyone would guess.

Whether or not that hits this upcoming season, though, is another matter.  It might another couple of years away.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.