2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

I think after looking at some of the video I can find and reading the stuff, Chychrun is my #1 by a hair. 

Agreed.

We do have a Stamkos now, and yes, it's Eichel. Did Jack put up 40 like Stamkos? No, but next year, or the year after, he will. Just because a rare opportunity comes along does not make it the right thing to do. 

PK Subban > Stamkos is a pretty easy decision in my mind, and that's not even factoring in our needs. He's younger, healthier, and cheaper. 

Keep the pick and sign Stamkos, and congrats, you're the Oilers. That is an extremely unbalanced team. No team in the NHL would survive with that type of lopsided investment in one area of a team

Looking forward to the #Sabres winning the #NHLDraftLottery on Saturday!

Other things to keep in mind; Chicago, LA, and other teams are in cap trouble. 

I'm not really on the pursue Stamkos bandwagon but I don't agree with this at all.

An oversimplification, but it still applies. The Oiler's are a forward heavy team with all skill player. Adding Laine and Stamkos gives you just that

Maybe I misread the rest of the conversation.  If we are picking top 3 then we are getting another elite forward and I really wouldn't go after Stamkos at that point.  But if we end up picking 8th I think one of the D will be available to us so I would be fine signing Stamkos and drafting a D.

I would rather trade for a top pairing D then sign Stamkos but I think the odds of landing him are greater then finding a team willing to part with a top pairing potential dman.

We still have Risto and promise in Pysyk, or moreso McCabe.  They don't have that.  Especially their Risto.

Edited by Derrico

Oilers are forward heavy, but they have failed because they didn't bring in veteran leaders to nurture the Young forwards. Sabres have that in Gionta, gorges, Mcginn (when he was here), even O'Reilly (I realize he's young but he plays/practices the right way. Saying we could turn into the Oilers if we sign Stamkos is possibly right - yeah the Oilers of the 80s. Comparing the Oilers of now to the Sabres is funny.

Oilers are forward heavy, but they have failed because they didn't bring in veteran leaders to nurture the Young forwards. Sabres have that in Gionta, gorges, Mcginn (when he was here), even O'Reilly (I realize he's young but he plays/practices the right way. Saying we could turn into the Oilers if we sign Stamkos is possibly right - yeah the Oilers of the 80s. Comparing the Oilers of now to the Sabres is funny.

Legwand, too. He did more talking on the bench than our coaches. He was always teaching somebody something, it seemed. I hope he comes back for one more year. 

GO SABRES!!!

Like I said, it's an oversimplification meant to demonstrate how an unbalanced team looks

Would you trade down? An article on if the leafs pick 4th but with some good looks at teams trading out of the early first round 1-5th pick. My general sense of the matter is that it almost never works.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/25/leafs-first-round-pick-trade-precedents/

4th pick I would be tempted as sabres GM, enough LHD out there for us to pick, but wouldn't go further down than #7

Could Laine have passed Matthews?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/patrik-laine-no-1-draft-lottery-mvp-finland-winger-world-junior-champion-auston-matthews-edmonton-oilers-mike-liut-octagon/

If Sabres get the #1 pick who are you taking? If you have been reading my posts for the last 6 months you know who I want lined up with Eichel.

If we are picking first, I'll go as far as to say it's got to be Laine. It really looks like his upside could be higher than Matthews, but even if it's not, Laine and Matthews are so close that it creates a situation where you have to decide between the two based on need. With Eichel, Reinhart, and ROR filling out our centre depth chart, drafting that franchise winger is the right play.

You probably trade down to 2 though and grab him there, as you could pick up a little something extra in the process. Chances are the team drafting 2nd is eyeing a centre.

Having said all that, if there's an opportunity to trade 1st overall for an OEL, that's still my first choice. It's OEL, then Laine.

This leads me to believe, due to the lack of consensus on defenders, that the defenders will slide a little.One thing to keep in mind about Laine and Puljujarvi is that they were born in April and May respectively. This means each are 7 and 8 months younger than Matthews. Just something to keep in mind especially with Laine's late season surge. It will be interesting to watch the IIHF Worlds in June

Another thing boosting Laine's case.

I like Sergachev a lot. He's just a hair behind Chychrun for me at this point.

Draft Buzz hockey on Chychrun who they rated #11 over: "Chychrun's defensive ability is overblown - even moreso if you extrapolate to the pros and level off some of his strengths. If he's just as susceptible to miscues and getting beaten like the rest now, and his offensive ability isn't as potent as Sergachev's, why wouldn't you go with Sergachev?"

Draft Buzz hockey on Chychrun who they rated #11 over: "Chychrun's defensive ability is overblown - even moreso if you extrapolate to the pros and level off some of his strengths. If he's just as susceptible to miscues and getting beaten like the rest now, and his offensive ability isn't as potent as Sergachev's, why wouldn't you go with Sergachev?"

Interesting. How do you feel about Chychrun's defensive game?

I've only seen Chychrun play once. He didn't impress me, just played a solid two way game. This was early in the season before the Finns and others passed him. He didn't seem to be a potential #1 overall as was mentioned last year.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I watched Ekblad about 8 times in his draft year and thought his size was the only thing standing out. He was solid at both ends but didn't scream first overall.

Maybe I expect too much from these young Dmen.

One note about Ekblad.  When he played in the top prospects game Orr v Cherry, he still looked exceptional among a collection of exceptional players.  I did not get that same impression from Chychrun.  

Everything you need to know about the lottery; includes the process and a full table of everyone's odds for every scenario

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=880413

I think we save that for dumping in the Niagara river in protest if Edmonton wins again. The Buffalo Maple Syrup Party would be epic.

I won't even be mad if Edmonton wins, I'll laugh because I know the NHL will be far more pissed

I think I'm intrigued by Chychrun's skating and size. Chychrun has a much better offensive season in his rookie year scoring 16 goals in 42 games compared to just 11 in 62 last year. Though, I read that he was really trying to concentrate on his defensive game last season and didn't join the rush as much as he did the year prior. 

Sergi is has much of the same attributes but is a big time hitter as well but then you have the "russian factor".

Then again, maybe Joulevi would be the best to pair with Risto?

The nice thing about the way the draft should shake out is that the Sabres are either going to get one of the top 3 Forwards in the draft if they get lucky tomorrow.  if not, they will get one of the top 3 Dmen in the draft. 

I think they are looking pretty good no matter how the ping pong balls drop tomorrow night.

I think we save that for dumping in the Niagara river in protest if Edmonton wins again. The Buffalo Maple Syrup Party would be epic.

I'll be celebrating because it means the Leafs didnt win.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.