2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Yes, I realize my post was unclear. Juolevi I think would fit better with the 3 swedes they have more than a Russian

I haven't watched enough of Sergachev, is he a more polished Zadorov?  Or the fact that I think the size and Russian factor means I'm just generalizing?

i don't usually like entering the "fantasy" trade game but if the Sabres really like Tkachuk - would you consider moving up? Not sure they have the ammo to get to 4th because the Oilers would be looking for a dman and I don't think the Sabres have one that would temp them besides Risto.

If Tkachuk is available at 5 - what would it take? Girgensons or Pysyk, pick 8 and a prospect like Cornel / Baptiste? Is this too high a price? 

i don't usually like entering the "fantasy" trade game but if the Sabres really like Tkachuk - would you consider moving up? Not sure they have the ammo to get to 4th because the Oilers would be looking for a dman and I don't think the Sabres have one that would temp them besides Risto.

If Tkachuk is available at 5 - what would it take? Girgensons or Pysyk, pick 8 and a prospect like Cornel / Baptiste? Is this too high a price? 

I wonder if The Oilers would be a better trade partner, particularity if Pysyk is involved. Their D-Corps is in such a mess Pysyk would be welcome addition as an initial 2nd pairing D. Only moving down four slots would allow them to grab another D Man as there is no absolute consensus on the ranking of the top 3 D. 

Probably, because if we're taking a forward (which sounds fairly likely with Vancouver fans thinking Benning loves Juolevi and Edmonton being there for Chychrun) we need those chips to fix defense.

Since the consensus seems to be 8 and 4 will give players of roughly equal value, the price, to me, seems high.

I wonder if The Oilers would be a better trade partner, particularity if Pysyk is involved. Their D-Corps is in such a mess Pysyk would be welcome addition as an initial 2nd pairing D. Only moving down four slots would allow them to grab another D Man as there is no absolute consensus on the ranking of the top 3 D.

I'm assuming the islanders and hamonic would make much better sense for them than Pysyk

So, the more I read about Chychrun the more iffy I am on him. He sounds an awful lot like Bogosian with respect to having every physical tool you could ever ask for, but missing the hockey IQ to capitalize on it. I kinda hope he's off the board before we pick.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

So, the more I read about Chychrun the more iffy I am on him. He sounds an awful lot like Bogosian with respect to have gone every physical tool you could ever ask for, but missing the hockey IQ to capitalize on it. I kinda hope he's off the board before we pick.

I've heard people say that Bogosian (as a prospect) is the most accurate comparison for Chychrun more than once.

So, the more I read about Chychrun the more iffy I am on him. He sounds an awful lot like Bogosian with respect to having every physical tool you could ever ask for, but missing the hockey IQ to capitalize on it. I kinda hope he's off the board before we pick.

Was there anything specific you read that was troubling?

I'm on the Juolevi train Edited by WildCard

Hmm, I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks!

Yea, it wasn't "OMG run for the hills" bad, but could be the reason he went from consensus #2 overall to maybe the 3rd Dman taken. I certainly didn't follow him last year, but it's not hard to imagine scouts falling in love with his physical traits while thinking the mental stuff would sort itself out with experience...then the season happens, the mental issues are still there, and he drops a little.

I'm on the Juolevi train

Me too. Think I'd go Juolevi > Sergachev > Chychrun at this point.

This is why i didn't think he was Murray type.

This is why i didn't think he was Murray type.

Maybe. Do we know what a Murray type is yet on the blue line? There's not a ton to go on. He acquired Bogosian in the Kane trade (though I still think that trade was really about Kane, he had to like Bogosian enough to take on the contract), has praised McCabe this year, and has spoken openly about wanting Pysyk to be more aggressive (as opposed to speaking highly of the portions of his game that work). If Chychrun really is in the Bogo/McCabe mold as far as style and tools go, I don't see a strong argument that he isn't a Murray player, though I'm open to being convinced.

In fact, this entire thing confuses me. Murray is on record as saying that he feels hockey sense is the single most important trait for a player, and that is certainly reflected in his forward moves (prime example being taking Reinhart when he had the pick of the forward litter), but doesn't appear to be there with his blue line to this point. Even though most are higher on Bogosian and McCabe than I am, I don't think many would single out their hockey sense as one of their best traits. Has he just been unable to match his desire to the available talent?

Edit: I meant to also say, I found it interesting in (I think) his last WGR interview this year that he was still unhappy with their defensive gaps, while musing something like "maybe it's personnel, I don't know." Don't recall Schopp or Bulldog pressing him on that point, would have liked to hear him expand upon it. Basically, I find it hard to know where Murray stands on defensemen.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Maybe. Do we know what a Murray type is yet on the blue line? There's not a ton to go on. He acquired Bogosian in the Kane trade (though I still think that trade was really about Kane, he had to like Bogosian enough to take on the contract), has praised McCabe this year, and has spoken openly about wanting Pysyk to be more aggressive (as opposed to speaking highly of the portions of his game that work). If Chychrun really is in the Bogo/McCabe mold as far as style and tools go, I don't see a strong argument that he isn't a Murray player, though I'm open to being convinced.

In fact, this entire thing confuses me. Murray is on record as saying that he feels hockey sense is the single most important trait for a player, and that is certainly reflected in his forward moves (prime example being taking Reinhart when he had the pick of the forward litter), but doesn't appear to be there with his blue line to this point. Even though most are higher on Bogosian and McCabe than I am, I don't think many would single out their hockey sense as one of their best traits. Has he just been unable to match his desire to the available talent?

Edit: I meant to also say, I found it interesting in (I think) his last WGR interview this year that he was still unhappy with their defensive gaps, while musing something like "maybe it's personnel, I don't know." Don't recall Schopp or Bulldog pressing him on that point, would have liked to hear him expand upon it. Basically, I find it hard to know where Murray stands on defensemen.

I think you hit it on the head with the bolded.  It's not like those kind of D men are made available very often.  You need to find a Colorado looking to move one that they can't afford.  We may see one or two shake loose in the coming months.  I assume we'll see how much GMTM really values them.

I think that next to hockey sense Murray values difference-makers, guys who want to make plays.

McCabe and Bogo have that. Pysyk does not, even though he has the hockey sense.

I think he valued Bogo over Myers because they both have lukewarm hockey sense, but Bogo is more of a warrior.

He got Gorges for the intangibles, so we didn't go all Edmonton through the rebuild.

He hasn't acquired any other defencemen of note.

Edited by dudacek

He picked Guhle when Kylington and Rasmus Andersson were still on the board, perhaps people who know these players better than I do could pull some information out of that. 

IMO, he seems to like bigger forwards with good shots. His defense seems to be agile, fast, and offensive. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.