2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

How much bourbon have you consumed?

Very little, although I'm about to pour one.

Seriously, who is available at 8 who is not better replaced by, I don't know, 22 and an extra 2d this year and next?

Very little, although I'm about to pour one.

Seriously, who is available at 8 who is not better replaced by, I don't know, 22 and an extra 2d this year and next?

Well, the simple math says that whoever we take at 8 is several times more likely to hit the NHL than someone at 22. And then there's the timeline where even if #8 goes back to junior, they're probably NHL bound in a year....whereas 22nd could be 2-3 years down the line. If we're trading #8 it should be a player coming back, not picks.

Seriously, you of all people pining for more picks!?!?!?! GTFO!!!!! :p

Well, the simple math says that whoever we take at 8 is several times more likely to hit the NHL than someone at 22. And then there's the timeline where even if #8 goes back to junior, they're probably NHL bound in a year....whereas 22nd could be 2-3 years down the line. If we're trading #8 it should be a player coming back, not picks.

Seriously, you of all people pining for more picks!?!?!?! GTFO!!!!! :P

1.  The bourbon went down harshly.  

2.  Yes, seriously me of all people!  Actually, I'd love to see them trade the pick for a player, like you said.

3.  #8 doesn't scream "instant NHL" to me any more than #22 does, so I'd rather have more options.

1.  The bourbon went down harshly.  

2.  Yes, seriously me of all people!  Actually, I'd love to see them trade the pick for a player, like you said.

3.  #8 doesn't scream "instant NHL" to me any more than #22 does, so I'd rather have more options.

What pick was Risto in 2013? I have a strong feeling we are going to see Chrychrun drafted by the the Sabres. He may not make team next year but he is one hell of a prospect.

1. The bourbon went down harshly.

2. Yes, seriously me of all people! Actually, I'd love to see them trade the pick for a player, like you said.

3. #8 doesn't scream "instant NHL" to me any more than #22 does, so I'd rather have more options.

Neither one will be in the NHL next year as you stated, but when they are both in the league the player selected at eight has a better chance to be an impact player, then 22 does. Besides I do not expect the team to be a top cup contender for two more seasons, roughly the same time that the first round choice would be NHL ready.

Mike Morreale mentioned that although the top 14 in this draft are interchangeable, the talent level drops significantly in the latter half of the second round. If Murray moves the pick it would probably be for a roster player.

I want to see us trade up, talk with winnipeg or Columbus, I'm OK with trading #8 plus for a sure fire NHL player.

Not happening. Why would either of them trade the pick? The Finns are going to be stars and I can't imagine what it would take to move up.

The 8th pick is going to be a sure fire nhl player - definite top4 Dman with top pair potential.

Edited by Crusader1969

Could have been worse, could be picking #9 or #10 with the sens, canadians or bruins in top 3 as well :p

Also looking at it, the jets and blue jackets are bit screwed, they have enough wingers they need a 1C.

Don't think Chychrun will be around so it will be Juolevi or Sergachev.

Could have been worse, could be picking #9 or #10 with the sens, canadians or bruins in top 3 as well :P

Also looking at it, the jets and blue jackets are bit screwed, they have enough wingers they need a 1C.

Don't think Chychrun will be around so it will be Juolevi or Sergachev.

Sounds like a trade could be had there for some team with some young centers and a need for wingers. 

Sounds like a trade could be had there for some team with some young centers and a need for wingers. 

Was thinking what we could offer but don't think they'd want anything we would offer.   

Doubt murray would part with Reinhart and certainly not Eichel or O'Reilly.

And if the vessey rumours are true we don't need one :p

My takeaways. The significant results are Buffalo keeping #8 and Edmonton getting #4.

I think we agree with who goes 1,2 and 3. Had Edmonton seeded there, the players picked wouldn't have changed. Picks 4,5,6 and 7 would be made from a group of 3 remaining forwards or 2 defenseman, with the forwards likely to have been 2 or 3 of the four.

With Edmonton at 4, I think the odds of D going 4 increase, Buffalo at 8 is more likely to be looking at their third best D, or a forward that otherwise wouldn't have fallen, as a result of Edmonton picking 4.

Let's assume Buffalo has Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev in that order. With Edmonton in the top three, Buffalo's looking at Chychrun or Nylander. Chychrun is likely the choice. With Edmonton at 4, the choice between Sergachev or Nylander is more likely than with Edmonton at 3.

Of course, this is far from a prediction. I don't have one. But Edmonton seeding 4 adds some certainty to that pick in terms of position. A defense starved team is now picking after the undeniable 3 best forwards are gone. Arizona may now be looking at Chychrun or Nylander instead of Juolevi or Chychrun.

You can adjust the defense ranking any way you like and keep the concept of "two D gone" at 8 and "1 unexpected F" remaining at 8 being more likely with Edmonton at 4 than with Edmonton in the top 3.

Afterthought: I don't have the Leafs Loathing some have. The thought of Ten years of Matthews / Eichel excites me as a fan.

Edited by N'eo

completely agree that 1 dman is off the board before the Sabres pick. 

Oilers are in a good spot - they can take the pick at 4 or they can drop back to a couple of spots to 7 and still get their #1 choice of dman (i think its Juolevi at this point). 

Dubois, Nylander and Tkachuk should fill the 5-7 spots. Calgary definitely could use the size that Dubios and Tkachuk bring on the wing. Arizona is set with Strome and Dvorak coming up as big time Centers. Canucks are the wild card, they can use help everywhere. but in the 5th spot  they get their pick of the 3 wingers and should take one. 

Sabres will then have a choice of Chychrun or Sergi. Im not 100% convinced, as some are, that Murray would never pick a Russian but I will give the "russian factor" some credence and guess that Chychrun is the pick.

1. The bourbon went down harshly.

2. Yes, seriously me of all people! Actually, I'd love to see them trade the pick for a player, like you said.

3. #8 doesn't scream "instant NHL" to me any more than #22 does, so I'd rather have more options.

There is a massive difference between the 22 and 8th pick in this draft. The level of player at 8 is worth much more than an extra 2nd round pick

completely agree that 1 dman is off the board before the Sabres pick. 

Oilers are in a good spot - they can take the pick at 4 or they can drop back to a couple of spots to 7 and still get their #1 choice of dman (i think its Juolevi at this point). 

Dubois, Nylander and Tkachuk should fill the 5-7 spots. Calgary definitely could use the size that Dubios and Tkachuk bring on the wing. Arizona is set with Strome and Dvorak coming up as big time Centers. Canucks are the wild card, they can use help everywhere. but in the 5th spot  they get their pick of the 3 wingers and should take one. 

Sabres will then have a choice of Chychrun or Sergi. Im not 100% convinced, as some are, that Murray would never pick a Russian but I will give the "russian factor" some credence and guess that Chychrun is the pick.

I'm looking at it this way --

The first three picks are the Big 3.  Then Tkachuk will be taken 4th or 5th.  So there are basically three mystery picks before us after that.  I see three excellent defensemen and three excellent forwards (McLeod, Dubois, and Nylander).  So that fact that we haven't dropped from no.8 means we'll still have multiple good options to choose from (and maybe GMTM has some other name he likes).

I'm looking at it this way --

The first three picks are the Big 3. Then Tkachuk will be taken 4th or 5th. So there are basically three mystery picks before us after that. I see three excellent defensemen and three excellent forwards (McLeod, Dubois, and Nylander). So that fact that we haven't dropped from no.8 means we'll still have multiple good options to choose from (and maybe GMTM has some other name he likes).

Yea, I really like where we're at. If the Dmen are all gone, that just means one of the top forwards slid to us. If the forwards are all good, we have our choice of the Dmen. Hard to lose really.

The list of all-time top-10 Sabre picks

2015 2) Jack Eichel

2014 2) Sam Reinhart

2013 8) Rasmus Ristolainen

2003 5) Thomas Vanek

1996 7) Erik Rasmussen

1987 1) Pierre Turgeon

1986 5) Shawn Anderson

1983 5) Tom Barrasso

1983 10) Norm Lacombe

1982 6) Phil Housley

1982 9) Paul Cyr

1972 5) Jim Schoenfeld

1971 5) Rick Martin

1970 1) Gil Perreault

The list of all-time top-10 Sabre picks

2015 2) Jack Eichel

2014 2) Sam Reinhart

2013 8) Rasmus Ristolainen

2003 5) Thomas Vanek

1996 7) Erik Rasmussen

1987 1) Pierre Turgeon

1986 5) Shawn Anderson

1983 5) Tom Barrasso

1983 10) Norm Lacombe

1982 6) Phil Housley

1982 9) Paul Cyr

1972 5) Jim Schoenfeld

1971 5) Rick Martin

1970 1) Gil Perreault

With all the assets used for scoutingnow, I wonder if we'll still see Players like Rasmussen drafted in the top 10.

Since someone asked in the other thread... first mock picks 1-8

1) Toronto: Matthews, this is the easiest one because they were practically drafting him yesterday even before they won

2) Winnipeg: Laine, he's easily the 2nd best or maybe best player in the draft. He will make their centers better

3) Columbus: Puljujarvi, well they could use some center help, they are excited to the have the 2way Finn providing excellent playmaking from the wings

4) Edmonton: Chychrun, this team sucks still but Chychrun will be their pick because I can't seem them taking another Russian after Yakupov

5) Vancouver: DeBuois, they want a big all around center who can replace Sedin and this is just about the only option, that said Debuois is very good

6) Calgary: Tkachuk, well I could see them going a different way, I think of Tkachuk's late season play and he made the OHL playoffs his bitch

7) Arizona: Juolevi, I was tempted again to put Sergachev here but I think they have 3 swedes on defense already so keep that in mind, Juolevi just fits them

8) Buffalo: Sergachev, Murray gives 0 f##ks. Well I was tempted to figure out ways to make defenders slide or to have Buffalo just take a forward, I think Murray swings for the fences and takes Sergachev because he has the potential to be the best defender in this class, he will go back to juniors to work on consistency and not losing his man in coverage but should be a valuable player for us in 1-2 years.  

This mock is subject to change. I hear Edmonton would trade #4 overall for a top defender so that could be interesting.  

Before the lottery, Benning said he would likely be taking a defenceman at five.

If it's Chycrun then this holds, but Vancouver fans are convinced it's Juolevi.

In his six drafts in Ottawa and two in Buffalo, Murray has never drafted a Russian.

Edited by dudacek

Before the lottery, Benning said he would likely be taking a defenceman at five.

If it's Chycrun then this holds, but Vancouver fans are convinced it's Juolevi.

In his six drafts in Ottawa and two in Buffalo, Murray has never drafted a Russian.

What good Russians has he passed on though?

Since someone asked in the other thread... first mock picks 1-8

1) Toronto: Matthews, this is the easiest one because they were practically drafting him yesterday even before they won

2) Winnipeg: Laine, he's easily the 2nd best or maybe best player in the draft. He will make their centers better

3) Columbus: Puljujarvi, well they could use some center help, they are excited to the have the 2way Finn providing excellent playmaking from the wings

4) Edmonton: Chychrun, this team sucks still but Chychrun will be their pick because I can't seem them taking another Russian after Yakupov

5) Vancouver: DeBuois, they want a big all around center who can replace Sedin and this is just about the only option, that said Debuois is very good

6) Calgary: Tkachuk, well I could see them going a different way, I think of Tkachuk's late season play and he made the OHL playoffs his bitch

7) Arizona: Juolevi, I was tempted again to put Sergachev here but I think they have 3 swedes on defense already so keep that in mind, Juolevi just fits them

8) Buffalo: Sergachev, Murray gives 0 f##ks. Well I was tempted to figure out ways to make defenders slide or to have Buffalo just take a forward, I think Murray swings for the fences and takes Sergachev because he has the potential to be the best defender in this class, he will go back to juniors to work on consistency and not losing his man in coverage but should be a valuable player for us in 1-2 years.  

This mock is subject to change. I hear Edmonton would trade #4 overall for a top defender so that could be interesting.  

Juolevi is Finnish?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.