2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Patrik Laine averages 5.5 shots/gm for Tappara through 46 gms this season. He averages 17:16 of ice time/gm. Has 17-16-33 this season

I realize this equals only 253 shots but still something I find interesting. 

Thanks, there were no SOG or shooting % columns anywhere I looked, so this helps. It's interesting, but I'm not concerned. Before Ovechkin came to the NHL he scored 13 goals in 37 games, and again I'm having trouble getting a shooting % for that season, but with how much he shoots, I imagine that it was similarly low if he only potted a goal every 3 games. Perhaps it's a function of both players playing on bigger ice, or playing in a professional men's league as teenagers, or something.

Hot off the press:

Bob Mckenzie's top 15

http://www.tsn.ca/laine-closes-gap-on-matthews-atop-tsn-draft-rankings-1.478128

Now if Sabres land the 2nd pick I'll have to hold off on buying my Tappera jersey.

more Laine news:

http://futureconsiderations.ca/laine-to-join-finland-at-worlds/

This leads me to believe, due to the lack of consensus on defenders, that the defenders will slide a little.

One thing to keep in mind about Laine and Puljujarvi is that they were born in April and May respectively. This means each are 7 and 8 months younger than Matthews. Just something to keep in mind especially with Laine's late season surge. It will be interesting to watch the IIHF Worlds in June

Not sure where to put this but here seems about correct.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/how-would-the-2015-nhl-draft-unfold-if-we-did-it-again-today/

If the 2015 draft were held today. It has some interesting insight and 1 Mr Brendan Guhle jumped up to #28 in this exercise. Also for fun the comments section has stuff like this "This article is nothing more than a hit piece on the Boston Bruins' scouting. There was nothing wrong with the choices the Bruins took."

Oh bless your hearts Bruins' fans. Your team had one of the worst executed drafts in recent memory and not surprisingly we are seeing it start to play out. I personally like the guy arguing they drafted based on need because it totally ignored players like Kyle Connor and Brock Boeser who are rated higher now but could have been drafted by Boston then. WAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Copied from the defense thread:

This draft I have followed less than the previous 3 years just because I have been busy but I have been fighting to catch up. I do not see a defender currently who can jump from the draft to the NHL realistically. Chychrun has some work to do, Juolevi has some strength to gain, Sergachev has some positioning and NA game to work on. Out of those 3 Juolevi seems to be the safest bet and the one most consistently in the top 10. Sergachev though is talked about because he has a lot of offensive upside and he hits like a truck. Chyrchrun is really good all around and needs to add strength, the problem with him is it seems like everyone has a difference of opinion on him. Some are like holy crap he is similar to Ekblad while others are like well Juolevi and Sergachev have more to offer.  Realistically as an NHL gm though, I would give any of them that I draft another year in Juniors because I think they all need it. Will they need 2 years? I honestly couldn't say, depends on their own work ethic and growth. 

I think the real thing that happened with Chychrun was that scouts wanted to see a bigger jump from his first year in the OHL to his 2nd and that didn't really occur so it soured them a little. Just my hypothesis. Chychrun did have the most points out of the 3 but Sergachev had the most goals and most games played.

They are defenders so points is not the best indicator of talent here but since they are all OHL boys, here are their numbers. 

Sergachev: 17g, 40a, 67gp, 0.851ppg

Juolevi: 9g, 33a, 57gp, 0.737ppg

Chychrun: 11g, 38a, 62gp, 0.790ppg

Edited by LGR4GM

I still trade it

No way unless you can get a top 10 NHL dman who happens to shoot left and are convinced you're signing Stamkos and/or Vesey. Karma is we get the #1 or #2 pick but this is Buffalo, so I'm guessing it's #9. #8 or #9 still gets us a top LHD so ....

They are defenders so points is not the best indicator of talent here but since they are all OHL boys, here are their numbers.

I still rank Serg #3 of this group

Some more Chychrun stuff

"A shot generating machine due to his ability as a puck handler and as a high slot presence, Chychrun finished third among OHL defensemen in shots on goal this season, leading all draft-eligible defenders by a large margin with 199 shots in 62 games (2016 NHL Draft defensemen Cam Dineen was closest with 165). His shot totals also surpassed many top draft-eligible forwards, including Matthew Tkachuk and Alex Nylander. He could have easily scored more, limited to 11 goals by a 5.5 per cent shooting percentage. And it wasn't for the lack of a good shot (he has a quick wind-up with a low, powerful kick that he gets in good areas)."

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/4/26/11502426/2016-nhl-draft-profile-jakob-chychrun-is-the-best-defensemen-in-the

No way unless you can get a top 10 NHL dman who happens to shoot left and are convinced you're signing Stamkos and/or Vesey. Karma is we get the #1 or #2 pick but this is Buffalo, so I'm guessing it's #9. #8 or #9 still gets us a top LHD so ....

Getting a top 10 NHL dman would be relatively easy with Matthews as bait

Vesey and Stamkos aren't comparable. And besides, I don't think we need or want another Stamkos, or another top end forward. I would rather trade the pick for an OEL or someone lesser, than Matthews/Laine. 

How do we not need another Stamkos, and, do we have one now? Not Eichel......yet. I know he'll cost $10m per but this type of opportunity virtually never comes around. Not sure a top 10 LHD would be so easy with a top pick. ARI said they wouldn't trade OEL for it and do you want Subban at 9m per through a 2022. Call me crazy but I pay Stamkos the $ and keep the pick.

Edited by ct fab

How do we not need another Stamkos, and, do we have one now? Not Eichel......yet. I know he'll cost $10m per but this type of opportunity virtually never comes around. Not sure a top 10 LHD would be so easy with a top pick. ARI said they wouldn't trade OEL for it and do you want Subban at 9m per through a 2022. Call me crazy but I pay Stamkos the $ and keep the pick.

We do have a Stamkos now, and yes, it's Eichel. Did Jack put up 40 like Stamkos? No, but next year, or the year after, he will. Just because a rare opportunity comes along does not make it the right thing to do. 

PK Subban > Stamkos is a pretty easy decision in my mind, and that's not even factoring in our needs. He's younger, healthier, and cheaper. 

Keep the pick and sign Stamkos, and congrats, you're the Oilers. That is an extremely unbalanced team. No team in the NHL would survive with that type of lopsided investment in one area of a team

Looking forward to the #Sabres winning the #NHLDraftLottery on Saturday!

Other things to keep in mind; Chicago, LA, and other teams are in cap trouble. 

Edited by WildCard

We do have a Stamkos now, and yes, it's Eichel. Did Jack put up 40 like Stamkos? No, but next year, or the year after, he will. Just because a rare opportunity comes along does not make it the right thing to do. 

PK Subban > Stamkos is a pretty easy decision in my mind, and that's not even factoring in our needs. He's younger, healthier, and cheaper. 

Keep the pick and sign Stamkos, and congrats, you're the Oilers. That is an extremely unbalanced team. No team in the NHL would survive with that type of lopsided investment in one area of a team

Looking forward to the #Sabres winning the #NHLDraftLottery on Saturday!

Other things to keep in mind; Chicago, LA, and other teams are in cap trouble. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is more optimistic about this lottery than last years. 

I think it's the Leafs not getting the first overall pick. If they get Matthews and Stamkos after one season of "losing properly" their fan base will be ramped up to new levels of insufferability:

Literally the only thing I care about at the lottery is Toronto losing.

I had charts awhile back I snagged off Steve Burtch's twitter about how Chychrun gets more ice time than the other two. Could certainly make a case his raw production may be due to more opportunity. Just something to think about.

Aaaaannnndddd I found them. Here:

post-3647-0-84397800-1461813659_thumb.pngpost-3647-0-94874600-1461813668_thumb.png

I had charts awhile back I snagged off Steve Burtch's twitter about how Chychrun gets more ice time than the other two. Could certainly make a case his raw production may be due to more opportunity. Just something to think about.

attachicon.gifJuolevi v Chychrun.pngattachicon.gifSergachev v Chychrun.png

Seriously, if Toronto falls back to 4, and we stay at 8, Saturday will be like Christmas morning.

I think after looking at some of the video I can find and reading the stuff, Chychrun is my #1 by a hair. 

If he is there when we draft, I'd be very happy with the pick. I've thought for a while now that the era of the true stay-at-home defenseman is gone. We need more skill in our defense corp IMHO.

Seriously, if Toronto falls back to 4, and we stay at 8, Saturday will be like Christmas morning.

I'd be happy with them sliding to #3. While I still love Puljujarvi and don't want Toronto to have him, I think the consensus is pretty clear he's a tier below Matthews and Laine. Missing out on the elite talent to land the near-elite talent is perfect for the Laffs.

Juolevi v Chychrun.png Sergachev v Chychrun.png

How much about strength of competition should we consider? I'd guess Chychrun is playing harder minutes

Sergachev is my preference. I think he has more of a feel for transitional hockey while still being a solid dman in his own zone.  And he gets shots through the first line of defense. I would be happy with any of the three, but Sergachev has something that I can't quite put my finger on that I like.

Sergachev is my preference. I think he has more of a feel for transitional hockey while still being a solid dman in his own zone. And he gets shots through the first line of defense. I would be happy with any of the three, but Sergachev has something that I can't quite put my finger on that I like.

I like Sergachev a lot. He's just a hair behind Chychrun for me at this point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.