What is it with the Sabres and Goaltending?

mjd1001

Ryan Miller

Last year with Sabres, .923 save percentage

With Blues:  .903

This year with Canucks:  .913

Jonas Enroth

Last year with Sabres:  .911

This year with Sabres:  .903

This year with Stars:  .873

Neuvirth

This year with Sabres:  .918

With Isles:  .882

Anders Lindback

With Sabres this year:  .926

With Stars:  .875

Why is it with just about everyone they try, the goalies are playing better for the Sabres than anywhere else?  And the difference in numbers is pretty dramatic in most cases, not just a case of simply 'seeing more shots'?

Edited by mjd1001

Ryan Miller

Last year with Sabres, .923 save percentage GAA 2.72

With Blues:  .903 GAA 2.47

This year with Canucks:  .913 GAA 2.47

Jonas Enroth

Last year with Sabres:  .911 GAA 2.82

This year with Sabres:  .903 GAA 3.27

This year with Stars:  .873 GAA 3.35

Neuvirth

This year with Sabres:  .918 GAA 2.99

With Isles:  .882 GAA 2.91

Anders Lindback

With Sabres this year:  .926 GAA 2.67

With Stars:  .875 GAA 3.71

Why is it with just about everyone they try, the goalies are playing better for the Sabres than anywhere else?  And the difference in numbers is pretty dramatic in most cases, not just a case of simply 'seeing more shots'?

Numbers aren't as dramatic when one looks at the goals per 60 minutes given up. The style the Sabres play leads to a LOT of initial shots from outside or bad angles. Tends to inflate the S%.

Another thing you see is that Buffalo can't hold possession even against 3rd and 4th lines. 

These guys, usually playing with a lead, are taking tons of low percentage shots.

They are generally only out there to win the zone, - so they fire away.

I think Nashville's 4th line the other night took about 12 shots in about 12 minutes. (or at least it looked like that). 

With the exception of Miller, the others went from semi-starters to backups or vice versa. Apparently it's a lot easier for a goalie to get into a rhythm with regular work, plus, each knows that at least for now, playing well will get you more starts.

Familiarity, scheme, and knowing what you have in front of them.  I would say Miller is superior to both in terms of his reads most of the time.  Neuvirth showed to be coming on and I really hope he's targeted this offseason.  If he wants to come back. 

With the exception of Miller, the others went from semi-starters to backups or vice versa. Apparently it's a lot easier for a goalie to get into a rhythm with regular work, plus, each knows that at least for now, playing well will get you more starts.

Makes you wonder if GMTM is looking at the backup goalie UFA market.... take the best backup and give him playing time = solid starter?  (And maybe that's our current starter but I don't see GMTM limiting his search to stock on hand).

Something something sample size something blah.

What we're most likely seeing is the inherent randomness in goaltending playing out before our eyes. It just takes a huge number of shots to be reasonably certain how good a guy is, and even then, there's going to be significant yearly swings, to say nothing of game to game variation.

Miller is average

No, he just wasn't elite. Unless the Olympics were right around the corner.

And now I will punch a big, old-school stapler into my right thigh, very near the family jewels, over and over to try and release the pain from my soul.

Ryan Miller

Last year with Sabres, .923 save percentage

With Blues:  .903

This year with Canucks:  .913

Jonas Enroth

Last year with Sabres:  .911

This year with Sabres:  .903

This year with Stars:  .873

Neuvirth

This year with Sabres:  .918

With Isles:  .882

Anders Lindback

With Sabres this year:  .926

With Stars:  .875

Sabres allow tons of shots, many of which aren't necessarily great chances just a result of the other team being in our zone a lot...this likely inflates our goaltender's numbers quite a bit...

Wonder if GM's around the league will start looking at this and not believing our goalies are that good when trading for them in the future

Wonder if GM's around the league will start looking at this and not believing our goalies are that good when trading for them in the future

Only if the Sabres continue to play a high-shot-count defense.  If, once the tank is complete, they have a neutral Corsi number and have about the same SOG as opponents, then the last two years will be viewed as an aberration.  

No, you actually broke it.

The if is linked to the neutral Corsi number phrase, not the tank is complete phrase. What I'm saying is if the Corsi number goes back to neutral, the recent Corsis will be seen as an aberration. But I don't expect that to change until the tank is over so I squeezed that clause (once the tank is over) in there between the commas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.