Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

I was happy we got him because he is good on the Powerplay.   But seeing he was never going to sign with us and we got enough bottom 6 guys im not sad he got traded.

I'm still wondering what Barbashev will become.  That was the consensus pick from this board on day 2 of the draft last year and we went with Lemieux instead.

I wish we'd have had a stronger draft after Reinhart last year.  

I'm still wondering what Barbashev will become. That was the consensus pick from this board on day 2 of the draft last year and we went with Lemieux instead.

I can't get worked up over kids who are a long shot to have any sort of impact on their team

But if he's playing half the season in the WPG year two.....that's a good deal. 

I'll be curious to see how much time he gets.  I don't get the impression that he's a guy that will be on the fast track to the NHL.  I like your suggestion there that he wants up being a frequent call up by year two, but not a full time guy.

I'm still wondering what Barbashev will become.  That was the consensus pick from this board on day 2 of the draft last year and we went with Lemieux instead.

I put it in the context of, we drafted what we needed to get Kane, and all is good with that draft.

I'd be surprised if Lemieux saw time on the 2nd PP to be honest. He might on the farm though.

He is, supposedly, one of the better players at development camp that is going on right now.

I think Armia also stays on the farm to start the season. He needs to be more consistent without the puck from what I am reading.

Ehlers has the best chance to make the big team. Maybe Morrissey.

I am anxious to see what Hellebuyck does at TC.

I'd be surprised if Lemieux saw time on the 2nd PP to be honest. He might on the farm though.

He is, supposedly, one of the better players at development camp that is going on right now.

I think Armia also stays on the farm to start the season. He needs to be more consistent without the puck from what I am reading.

That's been his story for three years now.

Armia without the puck is the thing. He's got a terrific shot, but struggles to see, and find the space - from what I've seen. It could all click in for him - or just as easily it might not. 

What was there to like about Stafford?  Perhaps it was his "grit," lackadaisacal attitude, "hustle;" should I go on?  What drove me crazy is that Lindy continually used him in shootouts.  He appeared clueless, lazily floated in toward the net, made no moves on the goalie, and got off a weak shot that never went in.  When the Sabres drafted him, it was said he was a tough two-way player.  I'm from Missouri on that one.  Perhaps money soothed his dynamic soul.

I give you Fu Man Drew:

http://youtu.be/mcYzDk_ZQsA

edit:  dammit, I still can't figure out the new YouTube links.  :(

Edited by biodork

I tried that but it didn't work before!

Of course now it will work to make a liar out of me. D'oh.

Idk, your other URL is different but now you should be able to embed videos with reckless abandoned, like that liger fellow. 

Idk, your other URL is different but now you should be able to embed videos with reckless abandoned, like that liger fellow. 

:lol:  Maybe I was just impatient... I'd tried the link from the browser bar but the video didn't show up after editing the post so I don't know what I did wrong.  Oh well.  Interwebs: 1, biodork: 0.

• 5 weeks later...

So, the trade ended up being Kane, Bogo and Kasdorf for Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux and Roslovic.

It will take a few years to see how the youngsters develop. Staf re-signed so it is up to Armia, Lemieux and Roslovic to shine and show what they can do. Armia got rave reviews in the development camp. Morroissey, Petan and Armia were the 3 best layers on the ice.

So, the trade ended up being Kane, Bogo and Kasdorf for Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux and Roslovic.

It will take a few years to see how the youngsters develop. Staf re-signed so it is up to Armia, Lemieux and Roslovic to shine and show what they can do. Armia got rave reviews in the development camp. Morroissey, Petan and Armia were the 3 best layers on the ice.

You're bound to get that with Armia though given that he was one of the oldest guys out there.  He's got a lot more pro hockey under his belt than most of those guys so he damn well better look good.  I'd equate it to the random undrafted 19 or 20 year old kid leading his junior team in scoring.

Why didn't that work in the AHL last year?  In his 21 games after the trade he scored 2 goals.

Good point. But, it could be a number of things. Maybe this summer the trade really sunk in and Armia is a new man. Maybe the observers in the Peg are seeing what they want to see. Maybe Armia is Drew Stafford with less drive.

I just noticed that in my absence The Peg signed Drew S. to a two year contract.  At a rise in pay, no less ...

:w00t:

He's not a bad player.  He was just in a situation here in Buffalo.  All the leadership ahead of him was traded away and he was considered part of that "rotten core."  He's showed that he has the talent to play in the league but with all the going around in Buffalo I think he was having trouble getting up and going to work in the morning.

I'm not sure if the situation in WPG is any better, but sometimes you just need a change of scenery.

The Winnipeg play-by-play guy was on Hockey Hotline the other day and said it was likely that Stafford would start the season on the top line, replacing Frolik. 

I'll say it again:  Stafford has all the physical tools but not the mental focus and edge needed to be a consistently effective player.  If Winnipeg needs him to hold down a top-line slot, they are in trouble.

You're bound to get that with Armia though given that he was one of the oldest guys out there. He's got a lot more pro hockey under his belt than most of those guys so he damn well better look good. I'd equate it to the random undrafted 19 or 20 year old kid leading his junior team in scoring.

Even at a more appropriate age, Armia has looked great in prospect camp and scrimmages. But I'm starting to wonder if he has the hockey sense to translate that skill to success in real games.

The Winnipeg play-by-play guy was on Hockey Hotline the other day and said it was likely that Stafford would start the season on the top line, replacing Frolik. 

I'll say it again:  Stafford has all the physical tools but not the mental focus and edge needed to be a consistently effective player.  If Winnipeg needs him to hold down a top-line slot, they are in trouble.

Drew Stafford has officially become that guy your company hires who management really likes but who actually doesn't do any real work and no one can figure out why he hasn't been fired yet.  

And I will say it again for the three hundredth time, those close to the situation say Stafford's troubles are two fold, he is actually super hard on himself and he lacks basic hockey sense. The tools are there but knowing where be when to be there is lacking and he tends to go into long funks in a crisis of confidence. He is not too unlike Vanek without the hockey sense.