Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

5 outta 8 will be from Central again these playoffs....Jets don't smarten up, they won't be participating.

Too many players not living up to expectations and I'll be the first to admit that Myers is one of them.

I'm okay with Staf's play this year and would say he is playing the best on his line...

The thing that really gets me about that division is that over the last two years, every single team has made the playoffs.  And that includes the impossible to explain Avs division title.  Fortunately for you guys, that's at least one team that probably won't sniff the playoffs again anytime soon.

Buff and Ladd being UFAs after this season puts the Jets in a tricky situation.  Buff will turn 31 this season; Ladd will turn 30.  They are both good players, but they haven't really taken the Jets anywhere and will be expensive to keep -- especially Buff, who could easily sign a $60MM contract and then put on 40 pounds.

Buff and Ladd being UFAs after this season puts the Jets in a tricky situation.  Buff will turn 31 this season; Ladd will turn 30.  They are both good players, but they haven't really taken the Jets anywhere and will be expensive to keep -- especially Buff, who could easily sign a $60MM contract and then put on 40 pounds.

I think if I were the jets I would ride the season out until the deadline. If I am in the playoff race with a decent team, go for broke. If not sell off those guys for good prospects and picks and then turn the team around in a year.  If they resign both I don't think it helps them do anything but spin their tires.  I could see them keeping 1 of those guys.

No. The Jets have played 12/19 games this year outside of their division. In which they are 6-4-2. Better than their record in the central, but not outstanding. That's a 96 point pace which, while good, would get them a tie for 5th in the Atlantic last season.

That's just grand, but the Atlantic is trash this year, and I do believe that this six game stretch doesn't define the Jets this season, like the Wild's seven game losing streak last year didn't have them with high lottery odds or the Sabres 10-3 stretch in December didn't make them a playoff team. Projecting 12 random games and comparing them to standings from last year when teams were different does nothing for me, even though I do admit that I could be wrong. I just think that Jets team would wind up ahead of every team but Montreal.

Stafford is a -11 (worst forward on Winnipeg along with Lowry) and Myers is -9 (worst defenseman on the team).  The key to this trade is how the prospects pan out.  But on the NHL players Bogo + Kane offer far more than Myers + Stafford.  I was among the most anti-Myers on this board for years and I remain so.  He just isn't that good.

Stafford is a -11 (worst forward on Winnipeg along with Lowry) and Myers is -9 (worst defenseman on the team). The key to this trade is how the prospects pan out. But on the NHL players Bogo + Kane offer far more than Myers + Stafford. I was among the most anti-Myers on this board for years and I remain so. He just isn't that good.

I don't agree that the prospects are the focus of this trade. It was always about Myers. He's the big fish. Stafford was a UFA, he should not be viewed as anything. The prospects are looking to be what we thought they were. Late first early second round picks with a limited chance for NHL success.

That's just grand, but the Atlantic is trash this year, and I do believe that this six game stretch doesn't define the Jets this season, like the Wild's seven game losing streak last year didn't have them with high lottery odds or the Sabres 10-3 stretch in December didn't make them a playoff team. Projecting 12 random games and comparing them to standings from last year when teams were different does nothing for me, even though I do admit that I could be wrong. I just think that Jets team would wind up ahead of every team but Montreal.

If we don't want to project out a small statistic sample size, we can go with the eye test. The Jets do not look like a good team right now. It's not that they are losing, it's how. I will also say that I could be wrong, but living in Winnipeg right now and see seeing them play a lot, they don't look like the same team as last year. Even in the hypothetical world in which the Jets do end up ahead of every team in the Atlantic but Montreal, at this point that would in my opinion speak more to the level of play currently in the Atlantic than the Jets themselves.

But I highly doubt they finish above everyone in the Atlantic but Tampa. I get that the central division is tough, but at the end of the day it isn't anything to hang one's cap on. If you are worse than, say, 4 teams in your division, sure, you may be ranked higher in other divisions, but you aren't really a real playoff contender even in the unlikely scenario that 5th in your division equates to 5th in your conference. You're still 5th in your conference.

I don't agree that the prospects are the focus of this trade. It was always about Myers. He's the big fish. Stafford was a UFA, he should not be viewed as anything. The prospects are looking to be what we thought they were. Late first early second round picks with a limited chance for NHL success.

I agree with this.

Thorny is right, the Jets aren't close tot he team they were last year. To many people taking games off and non-stellar goaltending..... you need above average to stellar goaltending to be a serious contender. The Jets aren't getting it.

On a side note, I thought Armia was the 2nd best player next to J.C. Lipon at last week's Moose/Wolves game. The up and coming Hellebuyck didn't have a very good game in goal.

Edited by Ducky

Thorny is right, the Jets aren't close tot he team they were last year. To many people taking games off and non-stellar goaltending..... you need above average to stellar goaltending to be a serious contender. The Jets aren't getting it.

On a side note, I thought Armia was the 2nd best player next to J.C. Lipon at last week's Moose/Wolves game. The up and coming Hellebuyck didn't have a very good game in goal.

Yup. Last year, when watching Jets, they often seemed to be outworking their opponent. The typified "hard to play against". They were a good team. This year, while I'm not saying they can't turn it around, watching the Philly game in person was an eye-opener. Completely different team, it was surprising.

Staf played with Scheif and Perrault. A couple of guys with more games under their belt than Lowry and Burmistrov.

On a side note, the local forums and papers want Chevy to bring in Hamonic....everyone says Myers for Hamonic, I say DO IT! Add Postma or a 4th even.