Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

There was a long storied conversation on the board about trading Tyler myers. Ryan Getzlaf's name came up frequently. Most posters thought Getzlaf wasn't enough for our young franchise defenseman. Then the tank happened, Myers was exposed for what he was, a decent 2nd pair Dman, and the thought of getting a return like Getzlaf was laughable.

Then we traded him for Bogo and Kane...

Now that's a thread I would pay to read

Misrepresentation of the argument. Getzlaf's contract situation made him little more than a year and 3 month rental, while Myers was locked up for 8+years.

Any deal would have been contingent on resigning Getlaf. This is true of almost any trade involving an expiring deal unless it's known the player in going to FA, like a trade deadline deal.

Any deal would have been contingent on resigning Getlaf. This is true of almost any trade involving an expiring deal unless it's known the player in going to FA, like a trade deadline deal.

That's why no deal could be done.  We were discussing it a full 7 or 8 months before we could've resigned Getzlaf.  I'm pretty sure by the off season the trade rumors stopped.  I doubt he was ever available.

I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks Myers is really worth at this point

I'm hoping Hamonic... if we don't re-sign Buff, I'd keep Myers and be out of the Hamonic trade, though.

He creates a lot of offense from the back end.

That's why no deal could be done.  We were discussing it a full 7 or 8 months before we could've resigned Getzlaf.  I'm pretty sure by the off season the trade rumors stopped.  I doubt he was ever available.

Qwk has it -- an extension for Getzlaf wasn't possible at the time of the discussions.

Well, no, not really. The reason the deal couldn't be done was because Anaheim would never have done it.

Then, all of a sudden, all the players involved in the trade are playing well and everyone is happy....just in time for Christmas.

Everyone except Armia.....he was called up and hasn't seen a minute of ice time.....why do teams do that? Let him get top line minutes on the Moose if you aren't going to play himm. It's not llke your farm team is half way across the continent....bewildering.

That's what we need is ANOTHER RHD.

He is a good skater and punishing hitter....the O side of his game hasn't materialized as expected so shouldn't be counted on for a lot of point generation. He's big and has a good shot but takes some dumb, inopportune penalties. He played well on the PK. He can handle a lot of ice time. He was getting better defensively under Maurice but wasn't under Noel's system. A solid aggressive 2nd pairing D man. Has to limit his injuries as he is making top dollar and only plays 3/4 of the games and I would say that is his biggest con, too many missed games.

The Big Johnson, on 14 Dec 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

I regret ever using that word about him.

Don't sweat it, it's become a mocking turn of phrase.  Kane has been nothing but class since he's been here.  I can't believe he didn't show any of this while in Winnipeg.

Don't sweat it, it's become a mocking turn of phrase.  Kane has been nothing but class since he's been here.  I can't believe he didn't show any of this while in Winnipeg.

Yea it's almost like he was singled out for some other reason, like his hair or something.