Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

So are we all happy now? Darcy's core is dead, gone, and buried.

There is still the fate of a few UFAs to be determined and a few pick to be made, but the dust is clearing

It's a little complicated with all the trades, but once you cross off traded picks and prospects for similar acquired picks and prospects, you are left with this:

Vanek      -----> Kane

Roy         -----> Girgensons

Stafford   -----> Moulson

Gaustad  -----> Stewart

Myers      -----> Bogosian

Sekera     -----> Gorges

Miller       -----> Neuvirth

Pominville ----> A late first, three 2nds and Torrey Mitchell

two seasons of suck -----> a chance to pick Reinhart and McEichel

If we could turn the Pominville haul into Ryan O'Reilly and luck into a goalie, I would say job well done.

Edited by dudacek

Didn't Pominville - - - - > Zadorov?

What I was trying to do was throw all the returns from core trades into the hopper and show who we eventually acquired to fill their roles, ignoring the actual prospects we picked. Pominville ----> was basically everything that was left over.

Basically Armia/Blues first/Lemieux/2nd rounder to trade up for Zemgus kinda equals Zadorov/Compher/Larsson/Carrier in terms of draft value. Actual player value still to be determined. And I ignored picks after the second round and iffy prospects like Hackett as not having any significant value.

Edited by dudacek

Don't like losing Lemieux but Armia may be easily replaced by Bailey, Baptiste or Fasching. There isn't room for all of these guys at RW.

Timmy's watched Armia for a year now, he's made up his mind on his ceiling. He said he would move assets and that's what prospects are.

Bold move and I'm hoping for Kane to blossom.

Let's go Buffalo!

Yeah it was steep but will be so worth it.

I've missed a lot through the day and am trying to catch up. Maybe I will by the weekend. This line above from weave sums up this trade perfectly for me though.

You don't get the opportunity to get high end talent very often. And when you do, it costs a lot. It will be so worth it over the next decade. Kane will be in a position three years from now where he won't be able to imagine leaving our dynasty that is being built right here, right now! Like that other Kane you know.

I think this trade ends up being a win for both teams, and we should hope it is.

Troof. This trade is beautiful. So many moving parts. It's a hockey nerd's dream and our team got the best player out of it.

First of all, good work everyone. It has been wonderful sharing today with you all. It really is a shame that GoDD went all David Clarkson and got himself suspended for a while, he would've been a riot today.

I really like how this trade gives 4 NHLers a much needed change of scenery.

-Stafford (13th overall) - A fine 3rd line winger who can fill in on the second line in a pinch.

-Myers (12th overall) - A good #2/3 defenseman with great physical tools and the potential to be a game breaker.

-Bogosian (3rd overall) - A good #2/3 shutdown defenseman.  Much more physical than Myers.  Also has a decent offensive game from what I hear (haven't seen much of him).

-Evander Kane (4th overall) - We all know about him by now.  Top line power forward, talks to money.

Myers and Stafford were similarly frustrating players to watch for much of my Sabres fandom.  When I started becoming a hardcore hockey fan in 2009-2010, Stafford was having his career year and Myers won the Calder.  Stafford has the talent and the size, but somehow manages to be reality-bendingly useless.  Myers has the talent and is just growing into his man body, but he doesn't have the edge, and maybe he doesn't have the noggin.  The Calder Trophy and the massive contract Darcy gave him really skewed the lens through which fans saw him (and that in turn messed with his head).  I still think he'll have a nice long career.

Bogosian never had off ice issues like Kane, but Winnipeg fans are predictably disappointed that he's not Brad Doty II given where he was drafted.  He gets a fresh start with a fan base that loves hard hitting, hard working players.  Just about everything has been said about Kane's fresh start, so I won't repeat.

All four of these guys can now just focus on playing their game.  Their new fan bases are eager to learn what kind of players they are on the ice, and we don't have to watch Drew Stafford anymore.  Unfortunately we've gotta finishing sharting, so we'll just get a look at Bogosian for now.  

This offseason and next year is going to be a blast, folks.  And Drew Stafford got traded!

Edited by qwksndmonster

The Armia AND Lemieux as opposed to either/or feels like a high price now. But, it'll be fun to see a top line winger with some young centers (Reinhart and a center to be named later) in the next few years.

I'd say it's a little more disheartening to lose Lemieux because I believe in having a stockpile of gritty, high-energy, slightly-loose-screw players (who are likely to miss plenty of games because of their style) to make a playoff series miserable on the opponent. And -- who have the skill to net two-three timely goals in a round. Or was that just his dad?

I imagine this trade got done because Tim Murray thinks Zach Bogosian is better than Tyler Myers and Kevine Cheveldayoff feels exactly the opposite.

Bogosian is way more physical than Myers. I still think Myers would have moved for some young offensive prospect, + a roster player. I kinda wish we would have seen what other teams wanted to trade for Myers. I just feel that Winnipeg was desperate for a deal and we overpaid by a prospect. Kane probably was gonna get moved anyway and the Jets wanted to make this deal now to make a playoff run. I get the deal but I know I'm gonna hear it saying that's the price for young top 6 forward. I don't care about that first rounder but not two prospects. I'm sure Lemieux is a player they wanted. I guess we will see I thought we overpaid when we traded for McNabb and that deal proved me wrong. That deal looks great right now. Nick D is a young big hard working forward and Hudson could be a stud for years to come.

I wondering if Murray plans on moving Hodgson or Grigs since neither might fit the mold of big rugged players. Plus Cody seems like he's in the doghouse.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

[qu=sizzlemeister" post="651813" timestamp="1423724956]I didn't know much about Bogosian until this evening. I think I like what this guy is all about and am eager to see him play. Bogsie has a nice ring to it. Maybe the Bogy Bag? Bogostrano? The Bogs?

In Winnipeg we called him Bogo

Bogosian is way more physical than Myers. I still think Myers would have moved for some young offensive prospect, + a roster player. I kinda wish we would have seen what other teams wanted to trade for Myers. I just feel that Winnipeg was desperate for a deal and we overpaid by a prospect. Kane probably was gonna get moved anyway and the Jets wanted to make this deal now to make a playoff run. I get the deal but I know I'm gonna hear it saying that's the price for young top 6 forward. I don't care about that first rounder but not two prospects. I'm sure Lemieux is a player they wanted. I guess we will see I thought we overpaid when we traded for McNabb and that deal proved me wrong. That deal looks great right now. Nick D is a young big hard working forward and Hudson could be a stud for years to come.

I wondering if Murray plans on moving Hodgson or Grigs since neither might fit the mold of big rugged players. Plus Cody seems like he's in the doghouse.

I've seen this sentiment a lot and don't fully see the point of it.

Murray believes he got a top line winger. Several here have expressed their opinion that he's more of a Stafford w/ a bad attitude. If he's only a Stafford-esqe player; TM didn't give up 1 too many prospects, he gave up 2 too many. Have to believe though that TM is right on his eval of Kane; especially w/ the C's that should be on the big club soon. Grigs, Reinhart, and quite likely 1/2 of McEichel w/in 2 years tops - at least 1 of which he should gel with. If he IS a 1st liner (and a big, mean one @ that), then he's well worth the cost. NONE of the prospects project to 1st line status - they COULD get there in a few years, but odds are they don't end up there. So, if Myers-Bogosian are viewed as a wash; the Sabres most likely gave up a rental, a 2nd liner, a 3rd liner, and a 2/3 liner (none of which will be that for at least a couple more years) for a 1st liner in October. Where is the overpayment in that?

Don't know that Kane will be a TRUE 1st liner (he could be a Moulson-style 1st liner; i.e. a very good 2nd liner that plays top line on bad teams but does have his game improved by playing w/ top end guys); but TM's watched this guy since juniors and believes he's a 1st liner. I'll trust his judgment on this one; and if he's wrong, there's a real likelihood that he'll be treated like another big 'power' forward that a whole bunch of coaches & GM's thought they could fix - Chris Gratton. He brought a good return in 3 of his 1st 4 trades.

The WGR Morning Show just had a great thought. GMTM with the size that has brought to the Sabres is building a a Western Conference Style Team in the East.

They're just figuring that out now?

Every single move he's made (w/ possible exception of Gionta) has been to get size w/ at least reasonable speed. He's also pretty much said his goal is to build the sort of team Lombardi's built in LA.

Seems it's more 'stating the obvious,' which for GR is something ;), than a 'great thought.'

(Disclaimer: Please realize this post isn't meant as a knock on you; not sure if it comes across that way, thus the disclaimer. :))

This is exactly the kind of move Darcy NEVER made. A difference-maker would become available one or twice a year, for whatever reason, and Darcy would not get into the auction. IMHO, he had a strong aversion to overpaying -- to the point where it handicapped his ability to put together a team.

Amen, I say amen.

Murray's dismantling of Regier's vision continues. Both Myers and Stafford, as young as they are, were part of the old guard. Both players were inconsistent, to say it nicely. Myers  makes bad defensive mistakes; I think it's his offensive mindset that gets him confused and just standing around. Stafford disappeared during his Sabres tenure for almost entire seasons. He was able to get away with it because…I don't know. Not to mention his mental comedic and music sideshows and that fatal picture with Roy and Pominville. Fans have been clamoring for him to get bounced for years. Both Myers and Stafford made Buffalo fans pull their hair out. These players were mostly hype, myth and hoping to come around. They never did. 

Armia was a Regier pick. He is undoubtedly talented but often injured…in the AHL. Who knows how he will stand up to the rigors of the NHL? Brendan Lemieux, a Murray pick, we hardly knew ye. He sounds good and abrasive. I think Murray was most sorry to lose him of all, even though he hasn't played one minute of NHL time. How many players with 45 goals in the minors are able to do that in the NHL? We'll see. To throw in a #1 pick…I think was over reaching but what the heck.

Kane and Bogosian are real NHL players. Consistent, hard-hitting honest players who both happen to be top 5 draft picks. They're they best players in the deal. They're not soft or dumb like Stafford and Myers. Not sure about the locker room cancer rumors but I think life in the 'Peg for a star black athlete has got to be tough. It's lonesome out there a million miles from nowhere, embedded in a sea of white faces. And when they got Byfuglien, who had similar locker room problems in Chicago, they were an ill-matched Type A pair. One of them had to go. And Buffalo has a real black community, and possibly 4-5 new black players coming.

It's a given that Bogosian is much smarter and more defensive minded than Myers. I'm sure he can easily complete an outlet pass, unlike Myers. Not sure of his offensive ability but who cares? As long as he fulfills his role as a d-man and prevents goals, I'll be happy. I think he's an upgrade from Myers.

The only thing I worry about, as others have mentioned, is that the Atlanta Thrashers were an organization in chaos who forced these two budding stars into NHL action before their time. They were immature and got hurt. The injuries apparently have piled up and now they don't play nearly enough games.

Maybe Buffalo can right the ship with these two. But the Sabres have got to clean house, and I'm afraid that includes Coach Nolan. We need a coach who has already won a cup, who knows what it takes, like Bylsma. One thing for sure, I know I won't miss Myers and Stafford one bit.

I've seen this sentiment a lot and don't fully see the point of it.

Murray believes he got a top line winger. Several here have expressed their opinion that he's more of a Stafford w/ a bad attitude. If he's only a Stafford-esqe player; TM didn't give up 1 too many prospects, he gave up 2 too many. Have to believe though that TM is right on his eval of Kane; especially w/ the C's that should be on the big club soon. Grigs, Reinhart, and quite likely 1/2 of McEichel w/in 2 years tops - at least 1 of which he should gel with. If he IS a 1st liner (and a big, mean one @ that), then he's well worth the cost. NONE of the prospects project to 1st line status - they COULD get there in a few years, but odds are they don't end up there. So, if Myers-Bogosian are viewed as a wash; the Sabres most likely gave up a rental, a 2nd liner, a 3rd liner, and a 2/3 liner (none of which will be that for at least a couple more years) for a 1st liner in October. Where is the overpayment in that?

Don't know that Kane will be a TRUE 1st liner (he could be a Moulson-style 1st liner; i.e. a very good 2nd liner that plays top line on bad teams but does have his game improved by playing w/ top end guys); but TM's watched this guy since juniors and believes he's a 1st liner. I'll trust his judgment on this one; and if he's wrong, there's a real likelihood that he'll be treated like another big 'power' forward that a whole bunch of coaches & GM's thought they could fix - Chris Gratton. He brought a good return in 3 of his 1st 4 trades.

They're just figuring that out now?

Every single move he's made (w/ possible exception of Gionta) has been to get size w/ at least reasonable speed. He's also pretty much said his goal is to build the sort of team Lombardi's built in LA.

Seems it's more 'stating the obvious,' which for GR is something ;), than a 'great thought.'

(Disclaimer: Please realize this post isn't meant as a knock on you; not sure if it comes across that way, thus the disclaimer. :))

No worries Taro.