Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1m1 minute ago

Continue to hear SF, OAK, NYJ, BUF among those in the hunt for Mike Iupati. Would tend to think he's moving on from 49ers at this point

Tim Graham ‏@ByTimGraham 21s21 seconds ago

Name to watch for Bills in free agency: tackle Bryan Bulaga. But they'll have competition for his services.

I approve of both of these tweets.

I really don't want to spend big on Iupati. If we could get both Bulaga and a second-tier guard for around the same money, I think that's far and away a better option.

I approve of both of these tweets.

Both will get around $7-8 million per season according to NFL reporters. Cutting Freddy (if we do), and the restructure of Cassel/McCoys' deals gives us what? around ~$24 million in cap space? Figure Hughes probably takes $10 million of that, maybe more. I doubt we can afford both Bulaga and Iupati. Given the choice of one, I might lean towards Bulaga, just because Iupati is pretty terrible in pass-protection. Bulaga may just look good because of Rogers though, and Iupati's position is definitely a bigger priority for the Bills. Throw in the fact that it's Greg Roman, and they want to run, and you gotta figure Iupati > Bulaga for Whaley and staff.

Clint Boling may be the cheaper option at guard, though it's reported the Patriots are after him too.

Edited by WildComrade

No. That's the rumored average per year number...

Forgot bonuses count against the cap 

@JaysonBraddock: BREAKING NEWS: 49ers have put Colin Kaepernick on the trading block. Taking offers.

@JaysonBraddock: I had to double check myself & I wrote it. But, no, Kaepernick is being shopped RT @sjimcar is this a fake Jayson Braddock acct? 

Seems like a legitimate account; 8k followers and 50k tweets. He's a reporter for Houston Sports Radio 790.

Edited by WildComrade

If that's true, yes I would take him here. His contract is large but there's virtually no guarantees... Would take some extra cap maneuvering because we do still need to address the offensive line.

An NFL business reporter at Forbes and head editor at a Fox Sports website said he can confirm that Kaepernick report.

Edited by Tank

If that's true, yes I would take him here. His contract is large but there's virtually no guarantees... Would take some extra cap maneuvering because we do still need to address the offensive line.

An NFL business reporter at Forbes and head editor at a Fox Sports website said he can confirm that Kaepernick report.

Definitely cuts out Iupati and/or Bulaga. His cap hit next year is $15.2M

Here's his contract info

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/colin-kaepernick/

Kaepernick was supposed to get his first large salary ($12.4 million) in the 2015 season. But because of the way the contract was worded, that salary is actually going to go down to $10.4 million.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/colin-kaepernick-contract-2014-12#ixzz3TrUstLT2

(Wow that's an impressive feature by that website. I was gonna link the source, but it includes it whenever you copy something from them)

Anyhow, San Fran is in total rebuild mode then, so does picks get the deal done? I'm sure he'll generate interest elsewhere, and we don't have the luxury of offering them a first this year. Our 2016 first will likely (hopefully) be lower than where we would have picked this year, so again, not too much there.

Full disclosure, I have no idea how much picks are worth in the NFL, I do know they seems wildly different than NHL picks worth. How much would Kaep be worth pick-wise?

This is why you don't trade for Matt Cassel. Kaep definitely regressed last season, but his contract is basically pay as you go, so depending on price it could be a good risk to take.

Good thing is we didn't use our trade arsenal to get him. Hopefully they haven't finished restructuring that extension yet. Can we cut him this season? 

@CharlesRobinson: If Colin Kaepernick is on the trading block, #49ers would take a $9,863,012 cap hit on the remainder of his signing bonus. 

Probably explains the Eagle's moves. Kelly would love to have Kaep

@JaysonBraddock: The Eagles are confirmed as one of the two teams in talks and an unnamed NFC team as the other. (Colin Kaepernick trade) 

@JaysonBraddock: Confirmed the NFC team is the Chicago Bears. (Colin Kaepernick trade) 

:flirt:   :ph34r: 

@JeremyWGR: I put Kaep odds very very low. Guy we talked to in SF said Kaep was the problem in SF offense while raving about Roman. Don't see it happnin 

So, hope the Bears get him, and we get Cutler?

Edited by WildComrade

Why is it time to move on??.... Fred has much more in the tank than Thurman did at 34. . AND he had a very good year with a horribly coached,mediocrely QB'd joke of an offense. 66 catches plus a good ypc given our putrid o line and putrid coaching and p&*^&*ssy QBing.

Perfect # 2 back at this stage.

It's time merely because the Bills have decided to go in a different direction. 

GO BILLS!!!

It's time merely because the Bills have decided to go in a different direction. 

GO BILLS!!!

Direction of what? In 9 years Freddie has seen every direction thrown at him. 

Why is it time to move on??.... Fred has much more in the tank than Thurman did at 34. . AND he had a very good year with a horribly coached,mediocrely QB'd joke of an offense. 66 catches plus a good ypc given our putrid o line and putrid coaching and p&*^&*ssy QBing.

Perfect # 2 back at this stage.

Exactly. He was the team's leading receiver while missing two games!!!! Between the ages of 32-34 Thurman had 1,025 +/- combined rushing and receiving yards over three seasons in 28 games. Last year Freddie had 1,025 yards in one season and 14 games. 

No comparison in my mind. 

@ByTimGraham: In 2010 training camp, Bills RBs were Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller and Joique Bell. By the end of today, possible none left.

@viccarucci: 6 other teams were interested in signing Jerry Hughes, but he made it clear during negotiations he wanted to stay w #Bills.

I really don't want to spend big on Iupati. If we could get both Bulaga and a second-tier guard for around the same money, I think that's far and away a better option.

Why not both Iupati and Bulaga?  They need at least 2 new starters on the line, probably 3.  Incognito was out of the NFL last year so there's no guarantee he can handle the job.

This is why you don't trade for Matt Cassel. Kaep definitely regressed last season, but his contract is basically pay as you go, so depending on price it could be a good risk to take.

And why not both Cassel and Kaep?

Why not both Iupati and Bulaga? They need at least 2 new starters on the line, probably 3. Incognito was out of the NFL last year so there's no guarantee he can handle the job.

And why not both Cassel and Kaep?

Two reasons. One, the salary cap. Even with the restructuring we wouldn't be able to fit all of them plus the Hughes deal. I know Mario could get reworked, but I want that in my back pocket to make the Dareus contract fit and I really want to come out of free agency with a tight end. Simply not enough space to do it all.

Secondly, I don't want Cassel in any capacity because I think he's awful. My issue with Iupati is he's bad at pass blocking. I understand we're going to have a heavy run focus, but if I'm shelling out $8 million+ to a guard, he better be an elite all-around performer.

And this made me laugh

tempSMH_9151--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?wid

Same here.

Man. The Pegulas do lerv them some country music, don't they?

Shades of Thurman who, also at age 34, was let go by Butler. Man, it hurt to see him in that teal uni and Flipper helmet, too. But there comes a time when you have to move on and this is that time for Freddy. I wish him all the best and look forward to his Wall of Fame ceremony. Truly one of Buffalo sports' all time greats. The embodiment of class on and off the field.

Good (sad) call.

I can't fault management for wanting to move on from an old RB. It sucks that it's Fred, but the NFL is a tough business. It's true, as some say, that Fred has useful football left in him, but the new regime seems pretty specific about what it's scheme fits are, and Fred just may not be a fit for what they want to do, whether at that position or with the roster more generally.

One of my all-time favorite Bills, for sure. I haven't been to a home game in a long time, but I will get a ticket when they put his name on the Wall.

Edit: Press Conference for the team at 11:45. Thanks for everything, Fred.

Edited by That Aud Smell

While it is certainly sad to see Fred Jackson go (based on the writing on the wall), this is what happens on good teams all the time. There is one highly valuable commodity in building a playoff level NFL team, and that is cap space management. With all the moves the Bills are making in order to make them a better team (Hughes signing, McCoy trade and restructure, push for Clay at TE etc.), there simply isn't room or value in a feel good veteran when the Bills will need that ~$3M in cap space next year.

Sadly it is a young mans game and the cap numbers make veterans expendible every year. Heck, the Patriots do this kind of cap casualty cuts every year and we generally laud them for it.

I like what the team is doing so far. Certainly look to be more talented by the end of the week than last year's team.

Where is the Willis retirement post coming from?

@ColemanESPN: "@TDavenport_NFL: "@Ruthless_Sports: My source confirms: Patrick Willis is indeed retiring" wow. This comes out of nowhere." 

Brian Hoyer rumored by Schefter ot be going to NYJ or Texans, Houston is the favorite to land him

Edited by WildComrade

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.