Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Losing Hughes isn't dismantling anything. Nor is losing Kiko who didn't play last year and probably wasn't a fit...

If we bring in David Harris that gives us three starting-caliber ILBs... Whenever they run the 4-3 those three guys will be in the game but what about the 3-4? Obviously they can rotate heavily but there will still be less snaps for them overall. Probably more good than bad, but maybe Rex believes Bradham can play on the outside to rush the passer?

Scratch Harris off the list 

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet  32s

David Harris re-signs with #Jets for 3 years at $21.5M, source says. $15 million fully guaranteed in the first 2 years. Wow

WOW! Never thought he'd get that much money. Glad it wasn't us giving it to him.

Losing Hughes isn't dismantling anything. Nor is losing Kiko who didn't play last year and probably wasn't a fit...

If we bring in David Harris that gives us three starting-caliber ILBs... Whenever they run the 4-3 those three guys will be in the game but what about the 3-4? Obviously they can rotate heavily but there will still be less snaps for them overall. Probably more good than bad, but maybe Rex believes Bradham can play on the outside to rush the passer?

Death by a thousand cuts. If this team wins a damn thing, it's winning it because of dominant defense. Not great defense, dominant.

Better stats comparing Suh, Dareus and Kyle Williams over the past three years.

Tackles             Sacks 

Suh                  137                   22

KW                   155                   21 

MD                   159                   23

As I pointed out above: Harris wouldve added a third ILB that is starter-material. Maybe Spikes comes back on the cheap to rotate in. We'll see.

I think Spikes is honestly a better LB at this point in their careers.  I saw somewhere (Buffalo Rumblings maybe) stats showing a sharp decline in Harris' stats vs a consistent tracking with Spikes.  It could be since Spikes played a little less than Harris, at which point my point is semi-invalid, but still.  

I think Spikes is honestly a better LB at this point in their careers. I saw somewhere (Buffalo Rumblings maybe) stats showing a sharp decline in Harris' stats vs a consistent tracking with Spikes. It could be since Spikes played a little less than Harris, at which point my point is semi-invalid, but still.

I disagree that Spikes is better because Harris can actually run a defense and cover somewhat. Spikes is incapable of covering a sloth, but he's still a big asset in the run game.

If Hughes walks I think the Bills need to go and immediately start the extend Dareus talks. If only to stop our fear of anyone we ever have that's good waltzing out the front door when they ask for money.

I would not worry about Dareus just yet. His new deal will compare to Gerald McCoy's and whatever Suh agrees to sign for. Plus Todd France is his agent and Pegula owned his agency until he bought the Bills.

Also, if Hughes doesn't circle back around to Buffalo, I think this leaves us free to pursue Revis. I'm not huge on the thought, I think our CB play was good last year (people complain about Gilmore, I think he's a #1 on most teams). But this offseason has show so far that this is Rex's team, and we all know how badly he wants Revis. 

Or....

Drew Boylhart ‏@DrewBoylhart 19h19 hours ago

RUMOR; #49ers looking for cap space & 31 Yr old TE Vernon Davis with over $4 mill & last yr of contract could be a target for Tuesday#NFL

Whatever happens with Hughes we'll have no hole at that position. There are other guys out there that will cost less (and do less) but fill the role well. Especially in Rex's defense.

The real holes on this team (not counting QB) are still guard, TE, SS and redzone WR. Land Davis and you basically fill two of those holes. Then focus on guard (Iupati, Boling, Franklin, Carpenter). They could probably go with Duke at SS but that doesn't give me a world of confidence. Overall depth would be good.

Revis is a luxury deal that I wouldn't hate because he's THAT good. He and Gilmore might create the best tandem in the NFL in a long long time.

Whatever happens with Hughes we'll have no hole at that position. There are other guys out there that will cost less (and do less) but fill the role well. Especially in Rex's defense.

The real holes on this team (not counting QB) are still guard, TE, SS and redzone WR. Land Davis and you basically fill two of those holes. Then focus on guard (Iupati, Boling, Franklin, Carpenter). They could probably go with Duke at SS but that doesn't give me a world of confidence. Overall depth would be good.

Revis is a luxury deal that I wouldn't hate because he's THAT good. He and Gilmore might create the best tandem in the NFL in a long long time.

This is almost exactly how I feel. Mario and Hughes fill essentially the same position in Rex's base set. When they go to nickle and dine they will need another edge rusher or two and while I certainly wouldn't mind Hughes, I think they can replace the sacks.

For the record, I do think Hughes is that good and if there were no cap, I'd advocate signing him .

Looks like the Harris contract has thrown a wrench into the Bills' plans

@SalSports: A source has informed me the Bills are still working hard towards retaining Jerry Hughes & "still optimistic" they can before FA opens 3/10.

@ProFootballTalk: Decision of LB David Harris to stay with Jets increases the chances the Bills keep DE Jerry Hughes. 

If Lynch doesn't retire, it looks like he'll have enough cash to afford never having a presser again

@YahooSports: Yahoo sources: #Seahawks extension offer to Marshawn Lynch in $11M-$12M range for first year (via @Rand_Getlin) -->http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--seahawks--extension-offer-to-marshawn-lynch-in--12m--11m-range-for-first-year-195328207.html

Who is our third dlineman in the 3-4? I do believe we'll still occasionally see Mario with his hand in the dirt when we run the 3-4, but the obvious plan is for him to play standing up as the edge rusher.

They're going to do something new.  They're going to go with two defensive tackles, with the end in the middle.

On other plays, they're going to put McCoy on defense.  It's a new position called "Smudge Linebacker."  It's worked really well in D-III.

@MikeGarafolo: Sources tell @FOXSports1 LeSean McCoy and the Bills are close on a new contract. Expected to be agreed to before trade is official Tues.

Sal Capaccio ‏@SalSports 14s15 seconds ago

This reported new deal for McCoy COULD BE the precursor to getting Hughes locked up before Tuesday. Frees up some $. Let's hope and see.

I'm not convinced that this news has anything to do with Hughes. They had even more money before the McCoy deal and it didn't help finish a contract so why would having less money, but not as "less" as you thought, change anything?

I don't really know what's going to happen with Hughes. I don't think he's worth it if he gets up to $9M...

I'm not convinced that this news has anything to do with Hughes. They had even more money before the McCoy deal and it didn't help finish a contract so why would having less money, but not as "less" as you thought, change anything?

I don't really know what's going to happen with Hughes. I don't think he's worth it if he gets up to $9M...

Hughes can talk with teams now, and despite what the formal rules are, I fully expect the Bills will have a better idea of the market price and can adjust their offer accordingly. And I'm certain the price is going to be more than $9 million.

I know they have the money now, but they may not want to spend it all on Hughes; maybe they have higher priorities in Lupati or another lineman. If they get more cap space, they probably believe they can get both

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.