The Science Thread

I am Defecting

Seriously guys, science is killing it right now, ya'll need to pay attention 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/09/11/ozone-layer-is-healing-expected-to-recover-by-around-2050-major-report-finds/

Assuming continued global compliance with the Montreal Protocol, the ozone layer is expected to recover to 1980 “benchmark levels” – before significant ozone depletion had begun.  Recovery is anticipated “before the middle of the century in mid-latitudes and the Arctic, and somewhat later in the Antarctic”, the report says.

The environmental benefits of ozone layer recovery are profound according to the United Nations Environment Programme. It says the Montreal Protocol will have prevented 2 million cases of skin cancer annually by 2030

I thought the human race couldn't possibly affect things on a global scale or something?

I thought the human race couldn't possibly affect things on a global scale or something?

I'm actually hesitant to tell my dad and brother about this because they've adamantly denied the human contribution to global warming. 

I feel like if more people knew about this every Hummer dealership would use it to beef up their sales. 

"See look! We didn't up! (well, we did, but we fixed it, or someone else took time to fix it for us....) So yeah! Hummers for everyone!"

That's nice.

Did you guys read all the way to the bottom?

The phaseout of certain ozone depleting substances, which are heat-trapping greenhouse gases, has also benefited the climate (by reducing global warming), the report notes. However, some of the replacements for ozone depleting substances are powerful greenhouse gases themselves. For example, hydrofluorocarbons or HFCs – refrigerants used as replacements for CFCs, are growing at a rate of 7 percent per year.

“Left unabated, [HFCs] can be expected to contribute very significantly to climate change in the next decades,” the report says.

I feel like if more people knew about this every Hummer dealership would use it to beef up their sales. 

"See look! We didn't ###### up! (well, we did, but we fixed it, or someone else took time to fix it for us....) So yeah! Hummers for everyone!"

They stopped producing Hummers in 2010, FYI.  Pick another gargantuan going forward.

ptXpKU5.gif

25 years ago I was part of a group developing air conditioning systems that would phase out CFC's.  It feels good to have a positive impact.

Nice. Always good to see something come full circle like that. 

Canyonero!

:lol:

I'm pretty sure Tesla transmitted enough energy wirelessly to light up some light bulbs back around 1935 ? My facts could be off but I remember reading something about that. The man was otherworldly.

Truth! I'm not sure how much power was involved though, and if I recall, it wasn't very directional. You know how medical types are worried about people being exposed to electromagnetic fields?

On the same subject: 1.8kW transmitted at what efficiency? If they're dumping 10kW into the transmitter to net 1.8kW, I'm not interested yet. There's saying that the best wireless solution is always worse than a $10 cable. Except that the cable solution needs a cable, of course.

On the tires: interesting, but I'm not sure if they'll really be commercially viable. A lot of the handing and ride quality in cars depends on reducing "unsprung wieght", which is the wieght that isn't carried by the suspension. So in a car, the tire, wheel, hub, brakes, some percentage of the a-arms and axle shaft (assuming independent suspension), etc. are unsprung, where the rest of the body is "sprung". Putting a thermo-electric generation plant in the tire has got to be somewhat heavy. I guess it'll depend on how much energy is there. Plus, a not-insignificant part of the power required to accelerate a car is spinning up the wheels (overcoming rotational inertia) (hint, heavy wheels affect braking as well). If the net effect is enough to run the radio, pass. If it makes noticable dent, say 10-15% in "MPG" (I use that term loosely since we're talking electric cars), tell me more.

I know it's not commercially viable, but I've always been fascinated by BMW's experiments with steam-hybrids. Essentially a normal drivetrain, except you use the exhaust heat to run a steam turbine to add power to the drive wheels (or I suppose you could drive an electrical generator to take over the power supply).

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4936/

Edited by Met'yuPirog

I'm pretty sure Tesla transmitted enough energy wirelessly to light up some light bulbs back around 1935 ? My facts could be off but I remember reading something about that. The man was otherworldly.

All transformers transmit energy wirelessly. Same with RFID tags, your ez pass, the chip in your credit card, and lightbulbs.

The key here is the directional accuracy. Tesla's problem was he created a system that could not be commercialized. 

All transformers transmit energy wirelessly. Same with RFID tags, your ez pass, the chip in your credit card, and lightbulbs.

The key here is the directional accuracy. Tesla's problem was he created a system that could not be commercialized. 

Maybe I'm thinking of something else that's a transformer, but I'm thinking of an iron (or maybe some new-fangled metal) core wrapped in two different pieces of copper wire. The Electromagnetic field is transferred through the core, so it doesn't seem wireless to me. You could build an transformer that didn't have a core (I think), but it'd be ridiculously inefficient.

he was the Anti-Edison

Yup, his science was super valuable so long as you don't factor in "ability to actually change the world" when evaluating technology.

Maybe I'm thinking of something else that's a transformer, but I'm thinking of an iron (or maybe some new-fangled metal) core wrapped in two different pieces of copper wire. The Electromagnetic field is transferred through the core, so it doesn't seem wireless to me. You could build an transformer that didn't have a core (I think), but it'd be ridiculously inefficient.

There is space (however minute) between the core and the coils. It's a field-flux transmission.

Here's a little home grown science for y'all. We made a guide for other parents of kids who have seizures (or anyone who has them, actually). Every month or so, I get to play Walter White. There's no jumping around in my tighty whiteys or anything, but it still feels like we're getting away with something.

In the guide we said it is about 80% effective, but it's actually much higher (only one grand mal in almost two years and even that was less intense and shorter than they had been).

A Simple Way to THCA.pdf

And for anyone who wants to call CPS on us, we are in a legal state, we have the blessing of her neurologist, and the THCA is non-psychoactive (doesn't get you stoned).

It's going to be interesting where all this legal pot stuff leads in the coming years.

Yep, it's the Fermi Paradox and I highly recommend this book about it: http://smile.amazon.com/Universe-Teeming-Aliens-WHERE-EVERYBODY/dp/0387955011/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417463476&sr=8-1&keywords=fermi+paradox

Summary: In response to Enrico Fermi's famous 1950 question concerning the existence of advanced civilizations elsewhere, physicist Webb critically examines 50 resolutions to explain the total absence of empirical evidence for probes, starships, and communications from extraterrestrials. He focuses on our Milky Way Galaxy, which to date has yielded no objects or signals that indicate the existence of alien beings with intelligence and technology. His comprehensive analysis covers topics ranging from the Drake equation and Dyson spheres to the panspermia hypothesis and anthropic arguments. Of special interest are the discussions on the DNA molecule, the origin of life on Earth, and the threats to organic evolution on this planet (including mass extinctions). Webb himself concludes that the "great silence" in nature probably results from humankind's being the only civilization now in this galaxy, if not in the entire universe. This richly informative and very engaging book is recommended for most academic and public library science collections.

Best thread ever.

Fermi/Webb must not have talked with any Nazi scientists who claim otherwise...and considering how they had technology the rest of the world didn't even know about it really makes you wonder... Edited by matter2003

Yes Tesla successfully accomplished this in Colorado but got funding pulled when his investors found out he planned on creating free energy for people by his methods. He also had a car that ran with no fuel but received energy from the "aethos"...actually drove this vehicle in Niagara Falls during his work on the power plant...

Tesla was simply ingenious

He didn't want it commercialized which is why funding was pulled and it was never finished

Yes Tesla successfully accomplished this in Colorado but got funding pulled when his investors found out he planned on creating free energy for people by his methods. He also had a car that ran with no fuel but received energy from the "aethos"...actually drove this vehicle in Niagara Falls during his work on the power plant...

Tesla was simply ingenious

He didn't want it commercialized which is why funding was pulled and it was never finished

Which is exactly why Edison changed the world, and Tesla became a footnote and nerd-dom hero.

• 3 weeks later...

NASA accidentally discovers a warp-field (i.e. they sent lasers through a machine they built and the beams went faster than the speed of light)

So basically NASA has unlocked Ludacris Speed.

Note: The results are obviously very questionable, as they hadn't been tested in a vacuum (atmospheric conditions may have been responsible). So, next step is to test it in a vacuum; if the results are the same, well, then things get really interesting 

Here's the article

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/04/nasa-may-have-accidentally-developed-a-warp-drive/

And here's NASA's official publication

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20140006052

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.