The Science Thread

I am Defecting

An excellent read. Also a bit of a long read. Scary as all hell.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

Very good read. Seems very thorough with just enough utter fear/sensationalism to make people keep reading/think a little.

I asked a geologist friend of mine what her take is on it, and she has yet to dig into that particular article, but her colleagues seem to be of the "nod head in agreement, then shrug" persuasion. Not too much to be done about it, just awareness that it's a possibility, like the Yellowstone caldera eruption. A bit more likely than that one, especially since the 2011 Japanese quake is so close in memory. 

I absolutely loved the section dealing with the discovery of the 1699/1700 earthquakes/tsunamis. Love me some science-y detective work. 

Very good read. Seems very thorough with just enough utter fear/sensationalism to make people keep reading/think a little.

I asked a geologist friend of mine what her take is on it, and she has yet to dig into that particular article, but her colleagues seem to be of the "nod head in agreement, then shrug" persuasion. Not too much to be done about it, just awareness that it's a possibility, like the Yellowstone caldera eruption. A bit more likely than that one, especially since the 2011 Japanese quake is so close in memory. 

I absolutely loved the section dealing with the discovery of the 1699/1700 earthquakes/tsunamis. Love me some science-y detective work. 

What haunts me about that is that this scenario is - with a high degree of scientific certainty - a when not an if. And that "when" appears to be in the "could happen any day now" territory. The volcano stuff is less predictable (or maybe just less well understood), as far as I can tell.

And I agree with that -- outstanding stuff.

What haunts me about that is that this scenario is - with a high degree of scientific certainty - a when not an if. And that "when" appears to be in the "could happen any day now" territory. The volcano stuff is less predictable (or maybe just less well understood), as far as I can tell.

And I agree with that -- outstanding stuff.

Not as much that volcano's aren't as predictable, but in the case of the Yellowstone caldera, the cycle is far too long worry about it in my lifetime. It erupts every 700,000-ish years, so even a 1% variance is 7000 years. The interesting part about the Cascadia Fault stuff is apparently its cycle is less than 300 years, and we're already past that. I'd put even money that it happens in my lifetime (50 years, if I'm lucky).

The caldera is over due too, maybe the Cascadia Fault "adjustment" will trigger the caldera, and we're all screwed.

Edited by MattPie

Why is everywhere except Upstate NY in some kind of apocalyptic danger zone? 

If that caldera blows, it's an extinction type event.  Upstate will be in danger.  It may be worse for us here.  Our end will take a little more time.

Not as much that volcano's aren't as predictable, but in the case of the Yellowstone caldera, the cycle is far too long worry about it in my lifetime. It erupts every 700,000-ish years, so even a 1% variance is 7000 years. 

U.S. Geological Survey, University of Utah, and National Park Service scientists with the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO) see no evidence that another such cataclysmic eruption will occur at Yellowstone in the foreseeable future. Recurrence intervals of these events are neither regular nor predictable.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3024/

Why is everywhere except Upstate NY in some kind of apocalyptic danger zone? 

This area is legitimately the safest place I have ever lived. No major earthquakes, no drought, no catastrophic flooding, no hurricanes, few/weak tornadoes, and a fairly basic understanding of survival in snowstorms.

Honestly, all I have to fear is alcohol poisoning from waiting out a blizzard. 

U.S. Geological Survey, University of Utah, and National Park Service scientists with the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO) see no evidence that another such cataclysmic eruption will occur at Yellowstone in the foreseeable future. Recurrence intervals of these events are neither regular nor predictable.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3024/

Yeah, this scenario scared the pants off me a couple years ago when everyone got all riled up/learned about it.

The Cascadia situation seems to be a much more tangible threat. But again, I rather felt that way with the caldera when info came out as well. 

Great, now I have yet another thing to sit around and read about. 

To Mattpie's point, the Cascadia subduction threat appears far more real and imminent because its interval rate is far smaller and based on much more recent activity - about once every 240 years or so for the last 10,000 years.

The caldera stuff goes back millions of years and has 3 occurrences.

An excellent read. Also a bit of a long read. Scary as all hell.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

Thanks for sharing this Smell, that was a very interesting read. Very often when I read scientific articles I find myself realizing that nature and its power is so much stronger than anything we as humans can understand, and there is very little to nothing we can do as a species to stop natural disasters from occurring.

I love living in Western New York btw. No worry about hurricanes/tsunamis/earthquakes/tornadoes etc.

The LHC will go down in history as one of, if not the, most important creation in the history of man. It continues to have huge success.

LHCb spokesperson Guy Wilkinson commented: "The pentaquark is not just any new particle… It represents a way to aggregate quarks, namely the fundamental constituents of ordinary protons and neutrons, in a pattern that has never been observed before in over fifty years of experimental searches.
"Studying its properties may allow us to understand better how ordinary matter, the protons and neutrons from which we're all made, is constituted."

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33517492

Edited by WildCard

Huh. Found this somewhat overly dramatic documentary on the Cascadia subduction... Pretty much exactly the New Yorker article, even has the same experts interviewed. It was posted on youtube back in 2011. 

If you can ignore the dramatic music and silly screen shakes, there are some nice visualizations. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yukp0bPkQxs

Huh. Found this somewhat overly dramatic documentary on the Cascadia subduction... Pretty much exactly the New Yorker article, even has the same experts interviewed. It was posted on youtube back in 2011. 

If you can ignore the dramatic music and silly screen shakes, there are some nice visualizations. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yukp0bPkQxs

Good find. Looks like it has the National Geographic imprimatur on it.

I think it's a little odd that the author didn't acknowledge this piece (?).

While you're at it, there's an OK docudrama on a Yellowstone Caldera explosion on Netflix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano_%28film%29

Thanks, man. Interesting stuff. As guess as they are able to move particles at faster and faster speeds it should be able to help us detect smaller and smaller sub particles as they get smashed together.

We could have had it built in the US too but in the end it's probably for the best that it isn't. I could see the tea party stopping the funding for it in order to give rich people another tax cut or something.

Actually, we probably couldn't have built it in the US, because the place it SHOULD have been built (Nevada) was in serious NIMBY mode and the place that wanted it (Texas) and where it started getting built was unsuitable for it. Cost overruns unfortunately made it easy for the politicians (who didn't care about it anyway) to kill it.

New Horizons phoned home

USA! USA!

We are the only country to visit all nine planets.

Space stuff brings out my inner geek. What an incredible achievement. All systems are nominal on the craft.

New Horizons phoned home

USA! USA!

We are the only country to visit all nine planets.

Space stuff brings out my inner geek. What an incredible achievement. All systems are nominal on the craft.

I get like physically giddy about this stuff. I was watching the Philae comet landing with bated breath. There was less chance of all out "failure" with this one, but still.

That last photo was taken from something like 400,000 miles out, the newest ones we get will be from 8,000.  Thats about the diameter of the earth. Can't wait.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.