2015-16 roster

Hoss

I would only trade for him over the summer with an extension being part of the deal.

I don't think anyone is going to give him $8MM. And while $7MM per year might be a bit of an overpayment, this isn't a Leino situation where they would be throwing ridiculous money at a guy who had 1 good (injury-shortened) NHL season.

And I'm not certainly worrying about contracts for all of the youngsters 3 years from now. If the Sabres don't get some real forwards next year, they are going to stink again and it will become more likely than not that they move into the Edmonton-like-permanently-terrible category.

The thing is... this team can improve considerably next season and still finish 30th. That is reality. They'll be loaded with top end prospects, but they will need a couple of seasons to mature. Gone will be vets like Stafford, Stewart, Enroth/Neuvirth, perhaps Myers, Gionta, etc.. It's also a distinct possibility that they'll be even worse next year.

That said, the top end of the 2016 draft (top 3 selection assigned by lottery) are absolute studs... Matthews, Chychrun, and Day. I don't believe Buffalo starts climbing the standing until 2016-17 at the earliest.

The thing is... this team can improve considerably next season and still finish 30th. That is reality. They'll be loaded with top end prospects, but they will need a couple of seasons to mature. Gone will be vets like Stafford, Stewart, Enroth/Neuvirth, perhaps Myers, Gionta, etc.. It's also a distinct possibility that they'll be even worse next year.

That said, the top end of the 2016 draft (top 3 selection assigned by lottery) are absolute studs... Matthews, Chychrun, and Day. I don't believe Buffalo starts climbing the standing until 2016-17 at the earliest.

I haven't seen Day in anyone's top ten for 2016, though I've only seen 3 or 4 rankings. Puljujarvi takes spot three for lots of guys.

And talking about the top of the 2016 draft like this definitely makes me want to hurl.

Exactly that is exactly what and who he is. If you are paying a guy 7mil per year, you really should be looking for more IMPO. That is a lot of money to have tied up in a 50-60pt a year (at best) player.

And in 3 years when Sam Reinhart, McEichel, Zemgus, Zadorov and Ristolainen all need non entry level deal and you have 3 more years of that 7 mil cap hit from O'Reilly do you trade him? Can you trade him? Keeping in my you have already traded to get him. What if for instance he wants more than 7mil? What if you are looking 8mil? It is a gamble that I am not sure warrants the risk.

I never hold off on a deal because of the ramifications 3 years in the future. Good teams have managed their players high salaries against the caps for years, I'm not going to be the first team that can't figure it out. The Blackhawks continue to reload while moving their more expensive expendable players for Prospects.

I never hold off on a deal because of the ramifications 3 years in the future. Good teams have managed their players high salaries against the caps for years, I'm not going to be the first team that can't figure it out. The Blackhawks continue to reload while moving their more expensive expendable players for Prospects.

Exactly. As we have both said in the past, there has yet to be a good team that has had to sell off stars that it wanted to keep because of salary cap issues. With the way the Sabres are going to be built, any veteran player coming in will be given a front loaded contract within the parameters of the CBA. Then in three years, while the players cap hit will be high, his tradeability(F?) will be higher.

Question about undrafted Russian defenseman Ziat Paigan who apparently threw his stick into the crowd after the gold medal game. He played with a mean streak, heavy hitter and contributed a goal and 3 assists in the iihf. What are the rules on signing him and would he be someone the Sabres would possibly target? Not a candidate for 2015-16 roster but didn't know where to ask .

Edited by Bills12Sabres11

Question about undrafted Russian defenseman Ziat Paigan who apparently threw his stick into the crowd after the gold medal game. He played with a mean streak, heavy hitter and contributed a goal and 3 assists in the iihf. What are the rules on signing him and would he be someone the Sabres would possibly target? Not a candidate for 2015-16 roster but didn't know where to ask .

If he is 21 or has been draft eligible 3 times I believe that any NHL team could sign him, not sure about transfer agreements.  Checking his elite prospects page, Ziyat Paygin is a 19yr old in the KHL, so he is currently still draft eligible. 

Looks like this would be the last year he is draft eligible (I think) so if you didn't draft him you could sign him. 

Exactly. As we have both said in the past, there has yet to be a good team that has had to sell off stars that it wanted to keep because of salary cap issues. With the way the Sabres are going to be built, any veteran player coming in will be given a front loaded contract within the parameters of the CBA. Then in three years, while the players cap hit will be high, his tradeability(F?) will be higher.

This raises the unpleasant memory of Larry Quinn confidently trumpeting his prediction (post Black Sunday) that other, more spendthrift, teams would have to jettison players as soon as the Canadian dollar dropped, and the clever Sabres would be there to reap the bounty.

I believe the Sabres would have to negotiate with his KHL club.

If he is 21 or has been draft eligible 3 times I believe that any NHL team could sign him, not sure about transfer agreements.  Checking his elite prospects page, Ziyat Paygin is a 19yr old in the KHL, so he is currently still draft eligible. Looks like this would be the last year he is draft eligible (I think) so if you didn't draft him you could sign him.

I believe the Sabres would have to negotiate with his KHL club.

Thank you

What's the status of Kovalchuk as potential free agent if he bolts the KHL?

Jersey must have lost his rights when he "retired," right?

For that matter, are there other opportunities there?

The Blues did well with Lehtera.

Jersey holds his rights until his contract expires. Everybody has to sign off on his return.

Jersey holds his rights until his contract expires. Everybody has to sign off on his return.

Are you sure this is correct?  Like, really sure?  Because I believe his formal retirement from the NHL is what led to the reinstatement of NJ's draft pick.

He has to sit out one full season before coming back and if he comes back before 18/19 it can only be with a Devils and only with unanimous consent of rest of NHL.

After he 18/19 he is removed from reserved list and can sign with anyone.

That is as of last year but for some reason I can't post link.

Yeap. His sister actually tweeted that he plans on coming back after that expires, too.

He has to sit out one full season before coming back and if he comes back before 18/19 it can only be with a Devils and only with unanimous consent of rest of NHL.

Yeap. His sister actually tweeted that he plans on coming back after that expires, too.

This is total .  Not on you guys, but on the NHL letting the Devils get away with it.

Never was a fan of Kovalchuk. High skill level but seems to lack heart. Collect your cheque in the regular season and be indifferent about the playoffs because the paycheques stop coming. The payout for winning the Stanley Cup is minuscule compared to their salaries. It's where you see who has the fire in the belly, to persevere and gut it out through tough games for your team, city, fans, teamates etc...

Alexei Yashin is the perfect example of this, point a game regular season and production nearly cut in half in the playoffs.

Doug Gilmour's stats are better in the playoffs than the regular season, even though the checking is tighter and you're playing better teams. Give me a team full of guys with that heart. Zemgus has that potential.

The last NHL team Kovalchuk was on lost in the Stanley Cup finals, and he's the only one I can name on that team.

I guess what's old is new again, there is just no place for a 40 goal scorer on the Sabres.

You'll notice I didn't respond to TW's post. His was a valid reason why Kovy won't be on the 15-16 roster. This BS about heart is as big  load of crap as the "locker room cancer" argument. If Darcy would have "mortgaged the future" for some of these guys, at the very least, we would be exactly where we are now - the most historically bad team in NHL history, only we have at least been witness to some actual goals being scored by our team in the process.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.