2015-16 roster

Hoss

Hossa and Saad are the only ones without NMC/NTCs. So as you and Tank mentioned Hossa is the most likely to be moved

Hossa is an idiot for not getting an NMC. He is signed for another 7 years at over 5mil (and is 35). Ridiculous contract for the club and a ridiculous contract for him (without the NMC). He will not be traded to a bottom feeder who has the cap space and probably not have a chance at a cup until his last year of his contract.

Hossa is an idiot for not getting an NMC. He is signed for another 7 years at over 5mil (and is 35). Ridiculous contract for the club and a ridiculous contract for him (without the NMC). He will not be traded to a bottom feeder who has the cap space and probably not have a chance at a cup until his last year of his contract.

By the end of this season, he will have collected $47.4 million on that contract so far, all with the team he wanted to play for. He will retire back to Europe long before he hits the cheap years of the contract and will not play for any bottom feeder. If that makes someone an idiot, I'll gladly sign up for it.

How do you think they let go? Hossa at 35 with that hit would be my bet

Hossa: age (35)

Salary: $7.9 mil/year until 2016/17 where it dips to $4 mil/year and then $1 mil/year in 2017/18

Hit: $5.23 mil/year

UFA: 2021

Shaad: (age 21)

RFA next season, still on his rookie contract I believe

Sharp: (age 32)

Salary: Dips to $5.5 mil/year next year

Hit: $5.9 mil/year

UFA: 2017

Hjalmarsson: (age 27)

Salary: $4.2 mil/year

Hit: $4.1 mil/year

UFA: 2019

There's an outside chance they're able to move Bickell and just get by with keeping them all, but I would assume at least one of those names will be elsewhere. Hjalmarsson and Sharp have always been the ones that people expected to move at some point.

Do we really want a hit of ~$5 mil/year with Hossa until he's 40? Is there a chance we can trade for him, and then maybe restructure his contract? No doubt Chicago wants someone cheaper to come in and replace him, so who are we looking at to send back?

I would rather trade for Saad or Sharp myself.

Probably agreed to waive the NMC for more term and a higher payday

If Hossa gets traded and then retires before his contract runs out isn't Chicago on the hook for the bulk of his cap recapture? I assume they would be which is why we didn't trade Ehrhoff and just bought him out so I doubt Chicago would trade him and risk the same situation.

Edited by Drunkard

Saad's contract is up after this year and he'll be a RFA. Chicago does have problems. They'll be moving one or two of Saad, Sharp, Hossa, Hjalmarsson. I'll take any of them.

There is NFW that Chicago gets rid of either Sharp or Hossa.

Separately: Griggy will be in Colorado as part of the price for O'Reilly.

Ennis-Eichel-Zemgus

Moulson-Reinhart-FA

Foligno-O'Reilly-FA

Deslauriers-Flynn-Kaleta

I'm not penciling Armia in until he shows us something first.

Ennis-Eichel-Zemgus

Moulson-Reinhart-FA

Foligno-O'Reilly-FA

Deslauriers-Flynn-Kaleta

Kaleta's not on the team next year. O'Reilly is getting paid way too much to be 3C

Ennis-Eichel-Zemgus

Moulson-Reinhart-FA

Foligno-O'Reilly-FA

Deslauriers-Flynn-Kaleta

They're going to have to do something. There has been plenty of talk about potential Sharp moves in the past. Those will get louder now...

He better be if he's healthy. He's one of the few who show up every game and plays like he cares. Solid 4th liner with grit who kills penalties.

That's the thing: he's NEVER healthy. It's likely better for him if he retires.

NFW they get rid of Saad too

Saad is the least likely of the three forwards. Chicago will have some serious decisions to make.

They can't pay them all.

There's an outside chance they're able to move Bickell and just get by with keeping them all, but I would assume at least one of those names will be elsewhere. Hjalmarsson and Sharp have always been the ones that people expected to move at some point.

I would rather trade for Saad or Sharp myself.

Saad is the least likely of the three forwards. Chicago will have some serious decisions to make.

Why is Sharp the most likely to move, because they actually have a chance at doing so unlike Hossa? In would imagine they would try everything they could to keep Sharp; if not, there's no doubt I would rather have him than Hossa.

They're going to have to do something. There has been plenty of talk about potential Sharp moves in the past. Those will get louder now...

This. They are the two highest cap hits likely to be shed, can't exactly afford to lose Keith or Seabrooke in comparison, even if they could with Keith's contract.

Edited by WildCard

He's one of the few who show up every game and plays like he cares. Solid 4th liner with grit who kills penalties.

Not this year. Kaleta doesn't hit nearly as much as he used to, isn't drawing penalties or getting under people's skins, and we can't kill penalties to save our lives.

Yes, he cares. But that's not enough. He's gone.

If Hossa gets traded and then retires before his contract runs out isn't Chicago on the hook for the bulk of his cap recapture? I assume they would be which is why we didn't trade Ehrhoff and just bought him out so I doubt Chicago would trade him and risk the same situation.

There's almost zero chance that he will play out that contract. They're going to be hit with a cap recapture at some point regardless of what they do.

Realistic look at possibilities. Sole based on what we have in stock.

Moulson - Ennis - Flynn

Girgensons - 2015 1st - Gionta

Foligno - Reinhart - Hodgson

Deslauriers - McCormick - Mitchell

Bench (Options): Ellis, Varone, Larsson, Grigorenko, Carrier

Myers - Gorges

Ristolainen - Zadorov

Pysyk - Addition

Bench: Weber, McCabe

Neuvirth

Veteran addition

Gone:

Chris Stewart

Drew Stafford

Pat Kaleta

Zac Dalpe

Tyson Strachan

Andrej Meszaros

Andre Benoit

Jonas Enroth

Matt Hackett

Nick Petrecki

Drew Bagnall

It would be nice to add someone like O'Reilly to the mix who is in his prime. But, as Murray was recently quoted, he feels Myers is part of the solution and not the problem. So we'll see. It all depends on what happens in the next 6 weeks prior to the deadline. Something unusual no one saw coming will happen I bet. I can easily see another Fasching type move made.

O'Reilly is getting paid way too much to be 3C

That would be my major concern when trading for him. He already makes 6mil per year. Anything more than that is easily 2c money and you are fast approaching 1c money once you hit 8mil. Not a lot of room there.

That would be my major concern when trading for him. He already makes 6mil per year. Anything more than that is easily 2c money and you are fast approaching 1c money once you hit 8mil. Not a lot of room there.

One can look at St Louis as an organization who is paying their current third line center 7M while only on the third line. That just has to do with their line depth with Lehtera really stepping in and exceeding all possible expectations. I would take O'Reilly for the Sabres and run, however it depends on the ability to retain him for multiple years.

One can look at St Louis as an organization who is paying their current third line center 7M while only on the third line. That just has to do with their line depth with Lehtera really stepping in and exceeding all possible expectations. I would take O'Reilly for the Sabres and run, however it depends on the ability to retain him for multiple years.

Statsny has more of a track record than O'Reilly and I am not paying O'Reilly 7mil a year X 5-7 years. Having a young player come in an succeed is great for St Louis but they signed Statsny to be a top line center, we are realistically talking about signing him to be a 3rd line center. We know he won't be as good as McEichel and I will say Reinhart should be better. I am just not sure this is a good idea considering the assets we would have to surrender for it.

Ryan O'Reilly: 0.344ppg, 0.209gpg

Paul Stastny: 0.839ppg, 0.293gpg

For Comparison

Tyler Ennis: 0.619ppg, 0.258gpg

Edited by LGR4GM

There's almost zero chance that he will play out that contract. They're going to be hit with a cap recapture at some point regardless of what they do.

The hit is way worse if they trade his contract to someone else though. I remember reading about it on this board when we were discussing trading Ehrhoff. If we held onto him and he retired the cap recapture penalty was one amount but if we traded him away and he retired from another team it was way worse. There's no way Chicago would trade Hossa and risk that just like Murray bought out Ehrhoff rather than risk the future recaptured penalty because it would have been worse if he had traded him.

Imagine what Ehrhoff would have been worth on the trade market if Murray wasn't worried about cap recapture.

Edited by Drunkard

Statsny has more of a track record than O'Reilly and I am not paying O'Reilly 7mil a year X 5-7 years. Having a young player come in an succeed is great for St Louis but they signed Statsny to be a top line center, we are realistically talking about signing him to be a 3rd line center. We know he won't be as good as McEichel and I will say Reinhart should be better. I am just not sure this is a good idea considering the assets we would have to surrender for it.

For Comparison

Reasonable, but if ROR is a Drury type, as many have observed, his real value won't show up in scoring stats. Drury was nominally a #3 center but played more than #3 center minutes, and was certainly worth what it will cost to sign ROR (adjusted for cap inflation).

It's also worth noting that the Sabres, even with McEichel, are woefully short on real NHL forwards . ROR isn't an elite scorer but he's a no-BS good NHL forward who can play in all situations.

I'd give him $7MM x 5 years in a heartbeat.

Realistic look at possibilities. Sole based on what we have in stock.

Moulson - Ennis - Flynn

Girgensons - 2015 1st - Gionta

Foligno - Reinhart - Hodgson

Deslauriers - McCormick - Mitchell

Bench (Options): Ellis, Varone, Larsson, Grigorenko, Carrier

If Murray iced this kind of lineup on opening night he needs to be fired before the first period is over. Luckily, I think he will be active in trades and FA.

The hit is way worse if they trade his contract to someone else though. I remember reading about it on this board when we were discussing trading Ehrhoff. If we held onto him and he retired the cap recapture penalty was one amount but if we traded him away and he retired from another team it was way worse. There's no way Chicago would trade Hossa and risk that just like Murray bought out Ehrhoff rather than risk the future recaptured penalty because it would have been worse if he had traded him.

Imagine what Ehrhoff would have been worth on the trade market if Murray wasn't worried about cap recapture.

I wouldn't be surprised if he Kovalchuk's it back to Europe after this season. This is the year where his recapture amount starts to climb (I miss cap geek right now). If he's going to get out, this might be the year.

For Comparison

I think it's worth noting that Stastny's scoring rates the last five years are not much, if any (I didn't technically do the calculations), better than O'Reilly's. Stastny's career averages are benefiting a great deal from playing in the couple of years after the lockout where the league called penalties and scoring rates were higher across the board. O'Reilly is also 6 years younger than Stastny.

Reasonable, but if ROR is a Drury type, as many have observed, his real value won't show up in scoring stats. Drury was nominally a #3 center but played more than #3 center minutes, and was certainly worth what it will cost to sign ROR (adjusted for cap inflation).

It's also worth noting that the Sabres, even with McEichel, are woefully short on real NHL forwards . ROR isn't an elite scorer but he's a no-BS good NHL forward who can play in all situations.

Yes, all of this. This team's top-9 looks much much more workable next year with O'Reilly in the fold.

For Comparison

Good stats based analysis thanks. I guess when I see him play, I see someone who has continued to develop, while not an elite player, someone who will put up or shut up every game. Moves the puck, plays above average defense and has the ability to play the second or third line all while at 23-24.

Good stats based analysis thanks. I guess when I see him play, I see someone who has continued to develop, while not an elite player, someone who will put up or shut up every game. Moves the puck, plays above average defense and has the ability to play the second or third line all while at 23-24.

Exactly that is exactly what and who he is. If you are paying a guy 7mil per year, you really should be looking for more IMPO. That is a lot of money to have tied up in a 50-60pt a year (at best) player.

And in 3 years when Sam Reinhart, McEichel, Zemgus, Zadorov and Ristolainen all need non entry level deal and you have 3 more years of that 7 mil cap hit from O'Reilly do you trade him? Can you trade him? Keeping in my you have already traded to get him. What if for instance he wants more than 7mil? What if you are looking 8mil? It is a gamble that I am not sure warrants the risk.

And in 3 years when Sam Reinhart, McEichel, Zemgus, Zadorov and Ristolainen all need non entry level deal and you have 3 more years of that 7 mil cap hit from O'Reilly do you trade him? Can you trade him? Keeping in my you have already traded to get him. What if for instance he wants more than 7mil? What if you are looking 8mil? It is a gamble that I am not sure warrants the risk.

I would only trade for him over the summer with an extension being part of the deal.

I don't think anyone is going to give him $8MM. And while $7MM per year might be a bit of an overpayment, this isn't a Leino situation where they would be throwing ridiculous money at a guy who had 1 good (injury-shortened) NHL season.

And I'm not certainly worrying about contracts for all of the youngsters 3 years from now. If the Sabres don't get some real forwards next year, they are going to stink again and it will become more likely than not that they move into the Edmonton-like-permanently-terrible category.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.