2015-16 roster

Hoss

OK so what is the most exciting lineup we can come up with even if we think some of the guys on the list MIGHT need another year down under. Add McDavid and a top free agent/trade and let's see if a tad bit of optimism can be brought back here next year.

Moulson - McDavid - Ennis

Girgensons - Reinhart - Armia

Compher - Grigorenko - Gionta

Foligno - Hodgson - Deslauriers

crap, I give up.....

Perhaps, but, the Sabres first in 2016 will seem to be, at the outset, a far lower number than either of the (other) firsts this year.  That makes them far more valuable.

It's a double edged sword though. The general consensus is that you don't trade away top 5 picks. If the Sabres are looking to trade their 2016 1st for current players, given their place in the current standings, wouldn't a team be a little leary that the team is willing to trade it away (in effect the Sabres saying we believe we will be much better in 2016)?

It's basically the same bet that the Islanders were forced to make as a result of the Vanek trade. You do everything in your power as an orginization to make that pick late in the first and not Austin Matthews.

OK so what is the most exciting lineup we can come up with even if we think some of the guys on the list MIGHT need another year down under. Add McDavid and a top free agent/trade and let's see if a tad bit of optimism can be brought back here next year.

Moulson - McDavid - Ennis

Girgensons - Reinhart - Armia

Compher - Grigorenko - Gionta

Foligno - Hodgson - Deslauriers

crap, I give up.....

There's a reason the Sabres have so much cap room. It isn't so they can trot that lineup out there. There's no way McDavid/Eichel is the only new addition to the orginization's talent pool for the 2016 season.

I fail to understand why this conversation is taking place, with all due respect to the participants. This team IS tanking, it's clear the organization from the top down is all in. So, whether the fans like it or not, we're going to find out what happens when you pursue an "apocalyptic tank" (love that term, BTW) right through to the end. We can not apply the past scenarios to this tank because this one is as different as anything that happened to this team in the past.

For those wondering how this team will rebuild quickly, as the organization indicates it wants to, I can see a few avenues that could allow that to happen:

Let's remember that next season, assuming we land one of McEichel, the Sabres really only need to fill a small handful of roster spots - what, two forwards and maybe a D man? Goalie, perhaps, depending on what happens.

So, that being the set-up, the Sabres have:

• 2016 first round pick - trade bait. Maybe add a Myers or some other decent asset to their 2016 first round pick, I think they could wind up with a hell of a forward.
  • Off-season - again, assuming they land a McEichel, despite what some pundits may think, the Sabres could be an attractive option. Why? Well, if you think like a player, rather than a fan, the Sabres will have McEichel, Reinhart, Risto, Nikta, Myers, and Ennis on the roster to play with, plus all of the future depth. Let's not throw away the media drum-beat that the Sabres are well-stocked and setting themselves up to be a contender. Add to this Pegula's rep for throwing money around, I honestly think the Sabres-as-a-destination is far from absurd for good players.
  • Other trades/pick-ups/roster moves - remember, they only need three or four players to turn the ship around in a dramatic way.
Obviously, I don't know if any of this will work, but it's a thought I had today; this is how they're looking at the rebuild. But, again, they land one good player using the 2016 first round pick as the centerpiece of a trade, another good player over the summer based on the reasoning above in item 2, and then another through GM competency, this team could be WAY different next year.
Doubt the Sabres get rid of next year's 1st unless it's part of a package for a very special player. The Sabres are in all likelihood not making the playoffs next year (though IMHO they'll be VERY close) so that pick is in the mix to be a top 3. It isn't necessarily somewhere between 8 - 15 which is where it most likely will start out on lottery day.

Perhaps, but, the Sabres first in 2016 will seem to be, at the outset, a far lower number than either of the (other) firsts this year.  That makes them far more valuable.

It's going to depend on the perceived quality of the two drafts too.  If this year is as deep as they like to say, you may be interested in a guy in the mid to late 20s, not only because of the deep draft, but also because he would be one year ahead on the growth curve compared to that 2016 guy.

It's a double edged sword though. The general consensus is that you don't trade away top 5 picks. If the Sabres are looking to trade their 2016 1st for current players, given their place in the current standings, wouldn't a team be a little leary that the team is willing to trade it away (in effect the Sabres saying we believe we will be much better in 2016)?

It's basically the same bet that the Islanders were forced to make as a result of the Vanek trade. You do everything in your power as an orginization to make that pick late in the first and not Austin Matthews.

That's exactly right, except with the Sabres the gamble might seem less uncertain. They could vie for a wildcard spot, or they could wind up in the bottom 5. Even with a McEichel next year, who thinks the Sabres could compete for a wildcard spot? I think it's a more interesting gamble for a GM than the remaining firsts for this year.

There's a reason the Sabres have so much cap room. It isn't so they can trot that lineup out there. There's no way McDavid/Eichel is the only new addition to the orginization's talent pool for the 2016 season.

And, you could trade away some of that list for some decent returns with the right packages.

Doubt the Sabres get rid of next year's 1st unless it's part of a package for a very special player.

I KNOW! That's the point! Love you!

Come on, do you guys really think once this season is over GMTM is going to sit back like DR used to? The dude has been talking big since he got here...come July 1 it's time to go to work.

GMTM better the f&*k do something crazy like trade a first round to get some talent in here.

Isn't the 2016 draft in Buffalo?

Teams usually like to show off shiny new 1st rounders to the hometown diehards.

A big trade at the draft could be a substitute.

It is, yes. And teams normally like to. I doubt Buffalo entertains trading the pick.

It is, yes. And teams normally like to. I doubt Buffalo entertains trading the pick.

The draft being here is a fly in the ointment, but saying you "doubt Buffalo entertains trading the pick" is a bit of a stretch. If GMTM is true to his word, he will entertain any offer.

And just because they might use Buffalo's first round pick to make a deal, doesn't mean they wouldn't make another deal to grab a first round pick in 2016 from someone else.

We all haven't gone through these past few seasons to wind up thinking small. If GMTM doesn't whip his penis out on a table over the summer and act entirely out of left field, I want him gone by the end of the year.

Edited by sizzlemeister

The draft being here is a fly in the ointment, but saying you "doubt Buffalo entertains trading the pick" is a bit of a stretch. If GMTM is true to his word, he will entertain any offer.

And just because they might use Buffalo's first round pick to make a deal, doesn't mean they wouldn't make another deal to grab a first round pick in 2016 from someone else.

We all haven't gone through these past few seasons to wind up thinking small. If GMTM doesn't whip his penis out on a table over the summer and act entirely out of left field, I want him gone by the end of the year.

I wasn't saying they won't entertain it because the draft is here. I said it because it would be stupid. We're still the worst team in the league. We have no clue what will happen next season but chances are we'll be in a good spot in the lottery... Next season features another fantastic draft and Murray isn't giving up his seat at the table for nothing. It'd take a huge trade to move the pick.

Edited by Tank

Haven't they tanked enough for you? WTF.

Wow. This is a legitimate response to what I just said? So since the tanking is (hopefully) over using simple logic when dealing with a decision to trade a draft pick isn't allowed? They likely won't go from one of the worst team's in franchise history to a world-beater in one season. It's going to take time. That means they'll still be drafting high (this time not by choice, again, HOPEFULLY). Next year's draft is a good one thus adding more value to an already valuable pick. It's going to take a lot to trade that pick... Weak man.

If a team wants our 2016 draft pick they know they're going to have to pay up. Nobody will expect us to shoot to the moon after one season.

PS - I just now realized that the quote in your signature is me. I've seen it a million times but never even read who said it. I don't know whether to feel honored or slighted. Hug?

Edited by Tank

I said at some point a week or two ago it looks like you may have been correct.

Anyway, f@&k the 2016 draft. I'm done, and they should be done, too, after this season. If the 2016 first round pick gets nets them a killer player, then they take the player.

You're missing what I'm saying. I'm not saying we need to keep the pick because we're going to tank it. I'm saying we should keep the pick because we're going to be bad again. If we deal the pick for a good top six player but still finish last we likely just gave up a superstar for a good top six player. If we're dealing the pick the player(s) coming back better be difference makers right away.

All I know is that after all this intentional losing crap, next year better start paying some real dividends otherwise I'm going to be furious. What we're doing now is disgusting enough to turn a new hockey fan off. Really killing my enjoyment of the sport. Hard to even root for a franchise who's being bad on purpose, to be quite honest. Despicable.

The losers are getting their way. It better start working much sooner rather than later. I have my doubts.

Edited by TheMatrix31

I took a rest from the Sabres at the All Star break. Right off the bat, I'm looking at the roster v Calgary and see these players on our team that I don't think would crack any other NHL roster. Strachan, Flynn, Ellis, Mitchell, Weber, Kaleta, Meszaros. I see others sitting up in the stands waiting to take their place who I'm equally unenthusiastic about: Benoit and McCormick. On ability alone, these guys should be out.

Ability is one thing, attitude is harder to detect. But my votes for bad attitude are Hodgson, Stafford, Stewart.

Fading former stars sent to Buffalo to die include Moulson, Gionta, Gorges.

Just not good enough: Enroth, Neuvirth.

Guys who just don't get it: Myers, Foligno.

That's nineteen flawed players that are ruining our team right there .

So that leaves us a grand total of three players with Ennis, Ristolainen, Girgensons, with Zadorov a maybe.

I have to wonder about Murray assembling this all star cast of losers. Maybe Murray  & Nolan were a big joke played on Pegula by LaFontaine,
Edited by 716

All I know is that after all this intentional losing crap, next year better start paying some real dividends otherwise I'm going to be furious. What we're doing now is disgusting enough to turn a new hockey fan off. Really killing my enjoyment of the sport. Hard to even root for a franchise who's being bad on purpose, to be quite honest. Despicable.

The losers are getting their way. It better start working much sooner rather than later. I have my doubts.

how different things are for people. Im an "old" hockey fan and the Tank has completley renewed my enthusiasm for this team. The year after year of being stuck in the middle was was was "turning me off". Now I have a chance to be excitied about the future for my team. I watch the NHL all-star game where our representative just turned 21 years old. I watch the 14/15 WJC and see a Sabres prospect be the #1 centre leading Canada to Gold - a year after I see a Sabres prospect score the winning goal for Finland leading them to Gold. I look at the OHL Goal leaders and see 2 Sabres in the top 10. I look at the roster of the Amerks and see Grigerenko and Armia scoring at almost a point per game.  

All the above is exciting but the "coupe de grace" is still to come -  a top pick in the 2015 NHL draft.

The Tank is over come the NHL trade deadline in 4 1/2 weeks. Just don't expect things to turn around on a dime. This team is historically bad. It will take time for ALL of the prospects to be ready to contribute.

I will guarantee you this - you may be turned off and may even stop following the Sabres but once you see a team with Rienhart and one of McDavid, Eichel or Marner you will be back and your disgust will be forgotten.

how different things are for people. Im an "old" hockey fan and the Tank has completley renewed my enthusiasm for this team. The year after year of being stuck in the middle was was was "turning me off". Now I have a chance to be excitied about the future for my team. I watch the NHL all-star game where our representative just turned 21 years old. I watch the 14/15 WJC and see a Sabres prospect be the #1 centre leading Canada to Gold - a year after I see a Sabres prospect score the winning goal for Finland leading them to Gold. I look at the OHL Goal leaders and see 2 Sabres in the top 10. I look at the roster of the Amerks and see Grigerenko and Armia scoring at almost a point per game.  

All the above is exciting but the "coupe de grace" is still to come -  a top pick in the 2015 NHL draft.

The Tank is over come the NHL trade deadline in 4 1/2 weeks. Just don't expect things to turn around on a dime. This team is historically bad. It will take time for ALL of the prospects to be ready to contribute.

I will guarantee you this - you may be turned off and may even stop following the Sabres but once you see a team with Rienhart and one of McDavid, Eichel or Marner you will be back and your disgust will be forgotten.

I'm enthusiastic as well. And I was turned off by vanilla and the middle of the pack mentality that followed this team around. And by Regier. There's no excitement in being craptastic and thats what the sabres were 95% of the time Regier was at the helm. The other 5% or so they were good. But thats not good enough. 4.5 weeks to go and we build a team.

Only way to go is up ! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.