2015-16 roster

Hoss

Well if you take a look at all the teams post 2005 that drafted 1st overall (minus EDM) then there is good history to indicate we should improve or at least our talent level will.

To be fair, you could move the drafting back a few years to account for the top-5 pick to contender time frame (I'm thinking of Carolina).

I'm hitchin my horse to Crusader1969's post. It's not 2005 anymore (prior actually), no wealing and dealing for top line players. No lure of big money to get a player on your team to take you deep on playoff run. The only way to get the Malkins and Crosbys and Kanes is by draft. No amount of money will buy them, so you can't buy a pair of cornerstone players, you have to draft and nurture. Success is most probable picking earliest in the draft, hence the need to tank.

Minnesota Wild?

Forget about everything that has happened up to this point. All that matters is where the team is today. At this point, is there anyone who would rather have Marner over McDavid?

No. There is no breaking that top two of McEichel. It's not happening.

Right the question wasn't about the players but rather what position would you rather be in? Tanking for McEichel or struggling in mediocrity and landing the 5th overall pick.

Ahh, I just saw another response to the same post and thought that was what the conversation was about.

Forget about everything that has happened up to this point. All that matters is where the team is today. At this point, is there anyone who would rather have Marner over McDavid?

This is exactly it right now. We are into the easy phase of the final 30 games. What's the point of arguing which road they should have taken? I hated the last three or so years but at least there is hope for an exciting new beginning.

Right the question wasn't about the players but rather what position would you rather be in? Tanking for McEichel or struggling in mediocrity and landing the 5th overall pick.

I can't help but laugh that I got two answers to my rhetorical question.

This is exactly it right now. We are into the easy phase of the final 30 games. What's the point of arguing which road they should have taken? I hated the last three or so years but at least there is hope for an exciting new beginning.

And the sooner people start to think this way, to sooner we can be rid of the pointless anger that people begin to spew the second a no goal or Norwood reference is made.

What happens when Nashville wins the cup...

The Preds made the heroic run to 9th place last year that so many on here whine about.  And, missed the playoffs the year before.  Instead of selling everyone, they got a new coach, made a couple of great free agent moves and a trade (Hornquist for James Neal) and now are the best team in the league.  As a season ticket holder, I'm glad David Poile never gave a thought to losing on purpose to better draft position.  I can't help but think Karma will catch up with the Sabres for this strategy (which is clearly being pushed by the top of the organization).

The Preds made the heroic run to 9th place last year that so many on here whine about.  And, missed the playoffs the year before.  Instead of selling everyone, they got a new coach, made a couple of great free agent moves and a trade (Hornquist for James Neal) and now are the best team in the league.  As a season ticket holder, I'm glad David Poile never gave a thought to losing on purpose to better draft position.  I can't help but think Karma will catch up with the Sabres for this strategy (which is clearly being pushed by the top of the organization).

How are you sure he never gave it a thought? Maybe he decided that this would have to work since the franchise couldn't take a couple down years of ticket sales.

I can't help but think Karma will catch up with the Sabres for this strategy (which is clearly being pushed by the top of the organization).

I've been anti tank all along and realize this started before El Pegual took over. So number 1, screw Darcy.

Number 2, karma? For this organization? Karma? we'll no offense but screw that thought too.

The whole thing is very dependent on a lot of factors.  That Nashville team last year just happened to have the best goalie in the league out with an injury, had a defenseman who many believe to be the best in the league signed up to a long term deal, and were one year removed from drafting another defenseman with a very high ceiling.  They had a good foundation in place so it was much easier to go the route they did.  Buffalo didn't have that in place yet.  There may have been a collection of moves that would have put Buffalo up into immediate playoff contention, but let's face it, the path they took was easier in the short term.

And if karma cared one bit, there's a long list of winning teams across all sports that never would have gotten that far.

I fail to understand why this conversation is taking place, with all due respect to the participants. This team IS tanking, it's clear the organization from the top down is all in. So, whether the fans like it or not, we're going to find out what happens when you pursue an "apocalyptic tank" (love that term, BTW) right through to the end. We can not apply the past scenarios to this tank because this one is as different as anything that happened to this team in the past.

For those wondering how this team will rebuild quickly, as the organization indicates it wants to, I can see a few avenues that could allow that to happen:

Let's remember that next season, assuming we land one of McEichel, the Sabres really only need to fill a small handful of roster spots - what, two forwards and maybe a D man? Goalie, perhaps, depending on what happens.

So, that being the set-up, the Sabres have:

1. 2016 first round pick - trade bait. Maybe add a Myers or some other decent asset to their 2016 first round pick, I think they could wind up with a hell of a forward.
  2. Off-season - again, assuming they land a McEichel, despite what some pundits may think, the Sabres could be an attractive option. Why? Well, if you think like a player, rather than a fan, the Sabres will have McEichel, Reinhart, Risto, Nikta, Myers, and Ennis on the roster to play with, plus all of the future depth. Let's not throw away the media drum-beat that the Sabres are well-stocked and setting themselves up to be a contender. Add to this Pegula's rep for throwing money around, I honestly think the Sabres-as-a-destination is far from absurd for good players.
  3. Other trades/pick-ups/roster moves - remember, they only need three or four players to turn the ship around in a dramatic way.

Obviously, I don't know if any of this will work, but it's a thought I had today; this is how they're looking at the rebuild. But, again, they land one good player using the 2016 first round pick as the centerpiece of a trade, another good player over the summer based on the reasoning above in item 2, and then another through GM competency, this team could be WAY different next year.

Im going to throw a curveball about next year that will certainly slow down the roll of a quick turnaround from the Tank but is there any indication that Eichel isn't going back to school next year?

I'll be in the minority but I would be fine with it. Though I do believe he will be ready to play in the NHL. I also believe that the Oilers biggest mistake is by having all these young guys come into the organization at once.

Im going to throw a curveball about next year that will certainly slow down the roll of a quick turnaround from the Tank but is there any indication that Eichel isn't going back to school next year?

I'll be in the minority but I would be fine with it. Though I do believe he will be ready to play in the NHL. I also believe that the Oilers biggest mistake is by having all these young guys come into the organization at once.

Every indication is that Eichel would be good enough to play in the NHL right away. I could see a drafted player stay in school if they weren't going to get NHL minutes, but that's not the case with a prospect of Eichel's quality.

Besides, we're getting McDavid :thumbsup:

Sizzle, I think you're looking too far into the future for that draft pick trade bait.  The extra picks this year may very well wind up being that piece instead.

Perhaps, but, the Sabres first in 2016 will seem to be, at the outset, a far lower number than either of the (other) firsts this year.  That makes them far more valuable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.