Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

In Corsi we trust!

Yup - long term, our team stats through the first half of the season indicate a solid last place finish for the year, and by a comfortable margin. Third from the last is a temporary aberration - we'll get there.

There is no need to do roster gymnastics for the Shart--we are terrible and simply have to let nature take its course. Trading Enroth, bringing up Hackett, etc are just unnecessary. In Corsi we trust!

Agreed. Halfway through the season, and we are 4 points out of 30th even with that surge in Nov/Dec. I think these next few months will drop us to where we belong, unless other teams start to sell off in a huge way. I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Enroth though.

Edited by SabresFuture

Agreed. Halfway through the season, and we are 4 points out of 30th even with that surge in Nov/Dec. I think these next few months will drop us to where we belong, unless other teams start to sell of in a huge way. I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Enroth though.

To put it into sharper focus: the Sabres went 10 for 13 during that one stretch (right?). They have 14 wins total on the year.

There is no need to do roster gymnastics for the Shart--we are terrible and simply have to let nature take its course. Trading Enroth, bringing up Hackett, etc are just unnecessary. In Corsi we trust!

One of Neuvirth/Enroth will be dealt if there are takers.

Pretty much.

Not only was Jhonas playing out of his mind, they were catching a lot of opponents on the back end of 2 in 2 nights and flu depleted squads. Doubt they'll catch as many teams finishing up 2 in 2 nights down the stretch, but if they do they definitely need to see if they can get the same scheduling magic next year when NHL W's are once again a good thing.

To put it into sharper focus: the Sabres went 10 for 13 during that one stretch (right?). They have 14 wins total on the year.

...and 6 of those 14 wins (losses) are shootout victories (losses)... tied with EDM for last (first?) in ROW (ROL?).

*sigh* there goes Mike Harrington on another rant where he asks players about losing on purpose, despite many people repeatedly telling Mike that it's never been about the players losing on purpose. Of course they never will, they're players.

Either he is a complete moron or is trying to stir the pot with no real purpose other than agitation.

Yup - long term, our team stats through the first half of the season indicate a solid last place finish for the year, and by a comfortable margin. Third from the last is a temporary aberration - we'll get there.

Agreed. Halfway through the season, and we are 4 points out of 30th even with that surge in Nov/Dec. I think these next few months will drop us to where we belong, unless other teams start to sell off in a huge way. I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Enroth though.

Pretty much.

Not only was Jhonas playing out of his mind, they were catching a lot of opponents on the back end of 2 in 2 nights and flu depleted squads. Doubt they'll catch as many teams finishing up 2 in 2 nights down the stretch, but if they do they definitely need to see if they can get the same scheduling magic next year when NHL W's are once again a good thing.

The Shart is ours to lose, but the GM for CHL Champion must make the bold moves to guarantee that it happens. The Sabres Corsi Total -910 at the halfway point. Their goaltending stats, with the exception of losses, are more in the middle. My worry is may cause a few critical losses, Enroth may need to move and bought back in the offseason.

Or we can trade him and not bring him back. Enroth has had a very nice year all things considered but do we really feel he is the long term answer? Especially considering Murray's desire for a tall goaltender? He's clearly our best option now but if we trade him it doesn't mean there won't be options in the summer. As we know, Cap Geek is down so it's tougher getting an up to date UFA list but based on an article in October, here are a few goalies who have just as much potential as Enroth in my position who will be hitting the market: Viktor Fasth (don't judge him playing in front of that horrendous Oil D), Josh Harding (severe questions about his health so he may not be an option but was great when he played last year), Kari Ramo (I know is having a little bit of a down year) and Antti Neimi (I don't believe he's resigned as of yet). Not to mention any potential trade opportunities we have with our deep prospect pool. I don't think Enroth has shown enough yet to be a proven number 1 so there may not be a ton of suitors. At the same time if a deal is there I hope they take it.

The Shart is ours to lose, but the GM for CHL Champion must make the bold moves to guarantee that it happens. The Sabres Corsi Total -910 at the halfway point. Their goaltending stats, with the exception of losses, are more in the middle. My worry is may cause a few critical losses, Enroth may need to move and bought back in the offseason.

I heard the Total corsi discussion on WGR this morning. I'm wondering how reliable of a stat that is? Carolina was something like 80, Toronto was the second lowest at around -400, Buffalo was -910. I think they mentioned some others that I can't recall. Carolina is 29th but has a positive total corsi and Toronto is a playoff contender with the second lowest total corsi number. Anomalies? Not reliable? Needs to play out over a season.

I heard the Total corsi discussion on WGR this morning. I'm wondering how reliable of a stat that is? Carolina was something like 80, Toronto was the second lowest at around -400, Buffalo was -910. I think they mentioned some others that I can't recall. Carolina is 29th but has a positive total corsi and Toronto is a playoff contender with the second lowest total corsi number. Anomalies? Not reliable? Needs to play out over a season.

Here's a site that I have been using for hockey stats related discussions. The difference here is that they track 5 on 5 seperately, eliminating the shots on goal from powerplays etc.

Carolina is 11th in season corsi at +69, wheras the Sabres are a shocking -851 for DFL. Next worst corsi team is Columbus at -251. Yeah you read that right.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201415&sit=5v5&sort=CF&sortdir=DESC

To address your Toronto concerns, it's important to also look at corsi relative to goals per game differential. Toronto is 20th with a -383 5v5 corsi, but thier goals for/goals against per game is almost even. They make up for thier low corsi by having a very high shooting % of 9.39 which is #1 in the whole league. The Sabres in comparison have an average 7.34 (19th) and a goals for/goals against per game of -1.04 (which is also DFL).

You can't just look at Corsi in a vaccuum but it does indicate the style of play and who controls play game to game. Buffalo never has the puck and when they do, they are slightly below-average at scoring when they shoot.

Or we can trade him and not bring him back. Enroth has had a very nice year all things considered but do we really feel he is the long term answer? Especially considering Murray's desire for a tall goaltender? He's clearly our best option now but if we trade him it doesn't mean there won't be options in the summer. As we know, Cap Geek is down so it's tougher getting an up to date UFA list but based on an article in October, here are a few goalies who have just as much potential as Enroth in my position who will be hitting the market: Viktor Fasth (don't judge him playing in front of that horrendous Oil D), Josh Harding (severe questions about his health so he may not be an option but was great when he played last year), Kari Ramo (I know is having a little bit of a down year) and Antti Neimi (I don't believe he's resigned as of yet). Not to mention any potential trade opportunities we have with our deep prospect pool. I don't think Enroth has shown enough yet to be a proven number 1 so there may not be a ton of suitors. At the same time if a deal is there I hope they take it.

Fletcher and GMTM are good friends so it would not be a surprise in Enroth (and Stafford maybe) end up in Minnesota. Kevin Allen from USA Today put up his 25 Best Prospective UFAs for 2015 and Enroth was the only goalie on the list. Is he the Sabres long term solution, probably not but he may be the best alternative until Ulmark or Markov are ready.

Here's a site that I have been using for hockey stats related discussions. The difference here is that they track 5 on 5 seperately, eliminating the shots on goal from powerplays etc.

Carolina is 11th in season corsi at +69, wheras the Sabres are a shocking -851 for DFL. Next worst corsi team is Columbus at -251. Yeah you read that right.

http://stats.hockeya...CF&sortdir=DESC

To address your Toronto concerns, it's important to also look at corsi relative to goals per game differential. Toronto is 20th with a -383 5v5 corsi, but thier goals for/goals against per game is almost even. They make up for thier low corsi by having a very high shooting % of 9.39 which is #1 in the whole league. The Sabres in comparison have an average 7.34 (19th) and a goals for/goals against per game of -1.04 (which is also DFL).

You can't just look at Corsi in a vaccuum but it does indicate the style of play and who controls play game to game. Buffalo never has the puck and when they do, they are slightly below-average at scoring when they shoot.

Plus look at the goaltending statistics for EDM and CAR, they are in the bottom five of the league, while the Sabres are middle of the pack with theirs. As stated on GR this AM if the Sabres had the Oilers Goalies how many wins would they have three maybe four this year?

Also Harrington is writing under a nom de plume for the Edmonton Sun now.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/01/07/oilers-fans-who-put-draft-picks-ahead-of-winning-have-it-all-wrong

If Minnesota has a first round pick I could see a deal for Enroth happening. He honestly could be a very solid starter. The kid works really hard on his game and keeps proving ppl wrong. Will he win a Vezina? no, but he could win you a cup.