Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Looks like some of the heavy duty tankers are ready to abandon the tank, or are thinking that it is futile.

Most of you would have gladly taken a split with the arch rival Coyotes, at least that is what I remember reading in this thread.  The Sabres are exactly where they were before the pivotal 2 game series with the Coyotes, but with fewer games left to be played.

When the biggest fancy stat guy (I say that with the utmost respect) around here says that this thing is virtually in the bag I would think that you guys would / should listen to him.

I'm not pessimistic or optimistic, just nervous.  But I really disagree with the "this is the same Sabres team that has only 50 points all season" argument.  They look much better to me than they did last month.  Great effort, outshooting opponents, etc.  If not for a health dose of bad luck against Colorado and Dallas, we'd be tied with the Yotes right now.

I really think the Sabres are better than Arizona, and they have a softer schedule. I'm not giving up by any stretch, but this isn't the same team it was, especially not when taking into account the balance of their schedule.

Same thing for the Coyotes:

ARI vs:

SJ 1-3-0

SJ at SJ 1-1-0

SJ at ARI 0-2-0

CGY 3-2-0

CGY at CGY 0-2-0

VAN 3-2-0

VAN at VAN 0-2-0

ANA 0-5-0

ANA at ARI 0-2-0

Projects to ARI picking up maybe one point.

If the season series with the remaining opponents are any indication, it's gonna be close.  Real close.

No, it's not "because Buffalo" for me. It's because I've watched this team all season and know that they're capable of easily winning again Toronto and Carolina. A point in any other game and it's over (I don't see Arizona getting another point from here on out).

For all the "voice of reason" stuff out there... Here's why you should be freaking out:

- 4 of 6 at home for Buffalo. They've gotten 29 points in 37 home games (.8 PPG - 3 points in 4 games projected)

- 3-4-1 with a -12 goal differential (-9 of which is against Pittsburgh) against remaining opponents (5 points projected)

I'll put my faith in the larger sample of games with a more representative roster (see: post-deadline games) over the matchups over a smaller sample with better roster, thanks. I also find it amusing you point out how much of the goal differential came against Pittsburgh but conveniently neglect the impact Anton Forsberg had. Since the deadline we've gotten 27% of available points (7 in 14 games) and suddenly were going to get 5 out of 12, or 42% of available points? You can say "yea but Toronto sucks" which is true, but 3/7 post deadline points for us came against Arizona, so yea. It's a slam dunk we blow it with these numbers? Gimme a break.

I'll put my faith in the larger sample of games with a more representative roster (see: post-deadline games) over the matchups over a smaller sample with better roster, thanks. I also find it amusing you point out how much of the goal differential came against Pittsburgh but conveniently neglect the impact Anton Forsberg had. Since the deadline we've gotten 27% of available points (7 in 14 games) and suddenly were going to get 5 out of 12, or 42% of available points? You can say "yea but Toronto sucks" which is true, but 3/7 post deadline points for us came against Arizona, so yea. It's a slam dunk we blow it with these numbers? Gimme a break.

You are sweating a little.  You know it.  KNOW it.  C'mon.  Admit it.  Read IKP last two posts again.  You're nervous.   :P

Same thing for the Coyotes:

ARI vs:

SJ 1-3-0

SJ at SJ 1-1-0

SJ at ARI 0-2-0

CGY 3-2-0

CGY at CGY 0-2-0

VAN 3-2-0

VAN at VAN 0-2-0

ANA 0-5-0

ANA at ARI 0-2-0

Projects to ARI picking up maybe one point.

If the season series with the remaining opponents are any indication, it's gonna be close.  Real close.

This (along with your prior post) is exactly how I saw it a few days back, and still do.  You have the Yotes at 1 more.   This, plus the Detroit win "gives" them 3 or less.   I had the Sabres at 6 or more.  Both totals exclude the head to head, just completed.   We needed two regulation losses to have any margin.   I saw some great analyses that took the season's winning percentages, points per game, etc., into account.   I don't think each team's season long trajectory overcomes the short term strength of schedule difference.   TBPhD pointed out the tie breaker to me.   That was good news.   If not for that, my money would be on the Yotes.   With that, it's pick 'em to me.

PS ... I understand the sporstclub stats page has strength of schedule worked in to it.   Their 89% is comforting, although my eyeballs don't see where it's coming from.

Neo ... B.A. Statistics ... SUNY Buffalo

I don't look at the lottery as chances to get the top pick... But a top two pick. If you look at it this way finishing second can be a little less end of the world than it seems:

McEichel odds

1 100%

2 33.5%

3 11.5%

4 9.5%

5 8.5%

6 7.5%

7 6.5%

8 6.0%

9 5.0%

10 3.5%

11 3.0%

12 2.5%

13 2.0%

14 1.0%

Note: no changes since nobody played tonight

Magic Numbers for games played through 3/30 (12 days left in the regular season)

Now featuring the best NHL record Buffalo can finish with while still finishing behind these teams:

Edmonton - 4 (4-1-1)

Arizona - 9 (2-4-0)

Nashville, Montreal, NY Islanders, Anaheim, NY Rangers, Tampa Bay, Detroit, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Minnesota, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Boston, San Jose, Dallas, Ottawa, Florida, Colorado, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Columbus, Carolina, Toronto - Clinched

Oilers can clinch April 1st. Sabres can't clinch the Carrion until at least April 4th.

Current worst case: 11.5% in lottery - 4th pick

Edited by Tank

Current standings through games played 3/31.

Team         GP  L  W OT  PT MPP PR RPTC M# CPM

Buffalo      76 47 21  8 102 114 12   9   8 19.7

Arizona      77 47 22  8 100 110 10  11  15 13.4

Edmonton     76 40 23 13  93 105 12  18  22 11.7

Toronto      77 42 29  6  90 100 10  --      9.5

Carolina     75 37 27 11  85  99 14  --      8.4

Columbus     76 35 37  4  74  86 12  --      6.1

CPM per sportsclubstats.com and lottery weighting - last updated 3/28 in PM

TO looking to get blanked for the 3rd straight game in a potential 1 pointer Wednesday night. Eulers could be eliminated by night's end.

Yeah, I've seen that, too... they even have an ad on the boards at Gila River! Very odd.

Yeah, I had to watch the Coyotes feed last night - I saw Roby with the Yancey's Fancy advert too!  I thought the feed had switched to Buffalo, but no... it was the Coyote feed.  

Yeah, they've been marketing Yancey's to the Phoenix market for a while now; I think I mentioned on SS a year or two ago when I was randomly watching a late game out of Phoenix.

Costco carries Yancey's on a periodic/promotional basis here in TX.

Yeah, they've been marketing Yancey's to the Phoenix market for a while now; I think I mentioned on SS a year or two ago when I was randomly watching a late game out of Phoenix.

Costco carries Yancey's on a periodic/promotional basis here in TX.

Gila RIver also has Tim Horton's concession stand inside.