Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

OK, so everyone agrees that having this year pick X is generally more valuable than next year pick X. Most seem to agree that Pick X next year is more valuable than pick X+30 this year (next year's 11th pick is more valuable than this year's 41st), but it's widely quoted that a 2015 2nd rounder is worth a 2016 1st. So it's more like this years 30th pick is worth around as much as next year's 15th pick, but the trick is figuring out where teams are going to finish next year.

Do I have that right?

Edited by MattPie

Would you rather have pick X this year or pick ??? next year.

If I am trading Stafford to Calgary and they offer me a 2nd this year (let's say pick 50) or next years 1st I think the ole devalue logic is out the window. The 50th pick isn't likely to have much of a career. So i will take my chances that the first rounder a year later will be more valuable to my team in 3 years than the 2nd rounder will be.

Do you marinate hamburg for a week so you hope it tastes like steak or do you just buy the steak?

Edited by sicknfla

From LeBrun:

-Oilers have now made Jeff Petry available.

-Sharks will listen on Niemi and trade him without hesitation.

-Nashville looking to acquire a top-six forward to help with their cup push.

-Minnesota isn't pushing hard for more deals.

-Toronto won't budge on Franson contract talks.

From Jon Vogl:

Ted Nolan is encouraging the Sabres who are trade candidates to "make it happen" with fine play. "Maybe somebody will see you and want you."

From LeBrun:

-Oilers have now made Jeff Petry available.

-Sharks will listen on Niemi and trade him without hesitation.

-Nashville looking to acquire a top-six forward to help with their cup push.

-Minnesota isn't pushing hard for more deals.

-Toronto won't budge on Franson contract talks.

From Jon Vogl:

Ted Nolan is encouraging the Sabres who are trade candidates to "make it happen" with fine play. "Maybe somebody will see you and want you."

Not sure why but the Nolan comments just seemed like a kick in the balls. As bad as this team is encouraging players to play better for the chance to get out of town just doesn't seem right. This entire situation is just flat out sad.

Craig Custance posted a list of 5 D-Men that the Wings should consider trading for and Myers was not on the list. Joe Yerdon from NHL.com asked why he wasn't, Custance replied the sides have not talked in awhile so the asking price appears to has scared off Ken Holland 

Not super surprising.  Word was that Murray was looking for Larkin, Sheahan/Jurco, and a 1st.  Larkin's (15th overall) been playing great at UM this season with 30 points in 21 games, Sheahan (21st overall) has been gradually developing, Jurco (35th overall) has showed more promise with a point per game last year in the A.

In other words, the assets that were asking for started to show their potential ability at higher levels, likely increasing their price.  That said, Detroit has worked their way well back into the playoff hunt, and may be more desperate or willing to surrender assets to settle their blue line.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Not sure why but the Nolan comments just seemed like a kick in the balls. As bad as this team is encouraging players to play better for the chance to get out of town just doesn't seem right. This entire situation is just flat out sad.

I get where you are coming from, but I think he's just being realistic.

They are getting traded, they probably want to be traded, and it just might help the team win a few.

After 14 in a row, pretty much anything should be on the table.

OK, so everyone agrees that having this year pick X is generally more valuable than next year pick X. Most seem to agree that Pick X next year is more valuable than pick X+30 this year (next year's 11th pick is more valuable than this year's 41st), but it's widely quoted that a 2015 2nd rounder is worth a 2016 1st. So it's more like this years 30th pick is worth around as much as next year's 15th pick, but the trick is figuring out where teams are going to finish next year.

Do I have that right?

As clear as mud, but yes, I do believe you have that right. At least we are both thinking the same thing, which may not be such a good thing for you, and you'd understand if you met me. :wacko:

Not super surprising.  Word was that Murray was looking for Larkin, Sheahan/Jurco, and a 1st.  Larkin's (15th overall) been playing great at UM this season with 30 points in 21 games, Sheahan (21st overall) has been gradually developing, Jurco (35th overall) has showed more promise with a point per game last year in the A.

In other words, the assets that were asking for started to show their potential ability at higher levels, likely increasing their price.  That said, Detroit has worked their way well back into the playoff hunt, and may be more desperate or willing to surrender assets to settle their blue line.

yeah but they can solve that alot easier, with UFA 's like green, franson, petry or zidlicky without having to give up much.   They won't break the bank for Myers.

I think we should trade Myers.  I know it leaves a much needed gap on defense because yet another vet is gone but Zadorov did more to battle back against Montreal last night than Myers did.  Myers is not and will never be the physical player he could be. Also his hockey IQ is questionable.  I think you trade him for something really good but do it before next season.

Sylvester and Peters talking about Myers to Anaheim and throwing out the name of John Gibson.

That's something I would entertain. This team is in desperate need of a goalie to anchor the rebuild.

On a different goalie, would Winnipeg be a potential destination for Enroth?

That's a football thing. I've never heard it in hockey, except on a few message boards.

Hutchinson has been solid and Pavelec is having a quiet rebounding year.  They don't need a goalie at all.  Hellebuyck and Comrie are in their system as well.  Unless they are looking to dump Pavelec when he's hot, I don't see it.  

Elliott Friedman was spitballing in his 30 thoughts this AM that the Habs could use Myers.  

The return would have to be HUGE IMO.

5. Montreal’s first goal in that game came when Tyler Myers didn’t see Brandon Prust and was run over. Seconds later, Prust scored. I’ve written before how I can’t see Marc Bergevin being comfortable with his blueline. He knows defencemen and assistant coach J-J Daigneault has an excellent reputation for teaching them. Myers is notoriously hard on himself, so how he’d handle Montreal is a question. The Canadiens do have a good prospect goalie-thin Buffalo could use, a prospect blocked by someone named Price: Zach Fucale. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

I'd be far more inclined to get Myers out of the division. The Red Wings are the only exception mainly due to the return they can give us. After seeing Larkin in the world juniors with Reinhart I'd be at least interested in him.

Ideally I would send Myers to the LA Kings or Anaheim ducks seeing as they're outside of the division and still have good things to give us.

Interesting piece on Stafford compares to Vermette with trade deadline approaching.

'

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf150204.html

That's pretty crazy... I never would've guessed Stafford's stats were better than Vermette's.  I'm not opposed to him being traded if the return is good.

As far as Myers, it sounds like at least Nolan is hoping he isn't traded:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/sabres-notebook-nolan-wants-myers-to-be-a-building-block-20150203

One player Nolan definitely wants is defenseman Tyler Myers.

“He’s one of the bright spots on this team,” Nolan said in Bell Centre. “When you go through a rebuilding and restocking of the organization, some of the pieces you keep and you surround them. Tyler Myers is one of those guys you build your team around.

“Very rarely do you see a 6-foot-8 guy who can skate like a 5-foot-8 guy. He’s been tremendous for us all season long.”

Edited by biodork

That's pretty crazy... I never would've guessed Stafford's stats were better than Vermette's.  I'm not opposed to him being traded if the return is good.

As far as Myers, it sounds like at least Nolan is hoping he isn't traded:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/sabres-notebook-nolan-wants-myers-to-be-a-building-block-20150203

I'm not surprised, stafford is very underated , would love to see him play with a decent center once.

I'm not surprised, stafford is very underated , would love to see him play with a decent center once.

Been here how long? Played with how many guys? ZERO consistency. A Darcy Regeir leftover.

Which means special of the day $6.99

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.