Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

2014, 6 seed in finals. 6 seed wins the Cup.

2013, 4 and 5 seeds in semifinals. 4 seed in finals.

2012, 6 and 8 seeds in semifinals. 6 and 8 seeds in finals. 8 seed wins the Cup.

2011, 5 seed in semifinals.

2010, 7 and 8 seeds in semifinals. 7 seed in finals.

"Contender" means nothing other than "in the playoffs."

Interesting. That's more success for the underseeds than I'd have guessed.

That team had zero chance at a cup. They were softer than Bruce Jenner's Wang at the playboy mansion.

Ok, fair point.  So "contender" does mean something other than "in the playoffs" but it has nothing to do with a team's seed.  Or Bruce Jenner's seed.  How's that?

Two of those late seeds and the only one to win the cup LA Kings. They are clearly built for the rigors of the playoffs.

It's probably worth noting that both times they made major deadline acquisitions which transformed them, so their seed probably wasn't the best indicator of their talent in that regard either. Still interesting.

It's probably worth noting that both times they made major deadline acquisitions which transformed them, so their seed probably wasn't the best indicator of their talent in that regard either. Still interesting.

It's also worth noting that their possession numbers hinted at a better team then their record indicated.

It makes it much less interesting.  Then the only other seeds are one 7 seed and a 6th.  I mean a 4/5 seed in interchangeable and certainly capable of an upset.  Realistically bottom seeds are only 6-8.  With todays playoff format that is even more so. 

It makes it much less interesting.  Then the only other seeds are one 7 seed and a 6th.  I mean a 4/5 seed in interchangeable and certainly capable of an upset.  Realistically bottom seeds are only 6-8.  With todays playoff format that is even more so. 

It's still 4 finalists out of 10.

If Kessel became available all 29 other teams would call them immediately offering up key young pieces... He's a great player. Wouldn't really be excited about getting him but just about everybody close to the game of hockey raves about him. Would never make him the key piece to my team like the Leafs have but Kessel on McDavid's wing? Wow.

On the Kings/Leafs: I think they're going to get creative. Franson, Kadri and a few others are probably interesting the Kings.

Also: the Sabres have two scouts at LA/BOS tonight.

Kessel has a contract that makes interest prohibitive for most teams.

It's still 4 finalists out of 10.

Again yes if you count the two kings teams.  Which is why building a team tough enough for the playoffs is important.

I wouldn't trade would it would take for Phil Kessel.

That said the rumored asking price for O'Reilly = 1st rnd pick, 2 top prospects, good young player.  So if Buffalo were to trade I would guess it would be something like Ristolainen, Zemgus, 1st rnd pick and Armia... that.

Again yes if you count the two kings teams.  Which is why building a team tough enough for the playoffs is important.

That said the rumored asking price for O'Reilly = 1st rnd pick, 2 top prospects, good young player.  So if Buffalo were to trade I would guess it would be something like Ristolainen, Zemgus, 1st rnd pick and Armia... ###### that.

indeed that is to much for me, guess some are saying same about myers, allthought myers is locked up for 4 more years.

indeed that is to much for me, guess some are saying same about myers, allthought myers is locked up for 4 more years.

Which is the difference.  I like O'Reilly but not that much.  statistically last year was an outlier so giving up all that for a 40-50pt 3rd line center... meh, I think Grigorenko in a couple years could be a 40pt a year 3rd line guy so idk.

So many people don't realize the win percentage over the years, how successful the Sabers have actually been. But, I'm the opposite of you. In this day and age where the hottest teams entering the playoffs are having more and more success, I'd rather have the 555 team to entertain me year in and year out instead of blowing it all on a Cup. Because a 555 team entering the playoffs on a hot streak has just as much chance to win a Cup as the #1 team. 

I agree as long as the team entering the playoffs on a hot streak have elite talent. At the end of the day, unless you can find a Zetterberg and Datsyuk late in the draft, you need high end talent to win the cup. 

Since 2004/05, the only other team to win the cup without at LEAST 2 players drafted in top 5 was the 2012 LA Kings. However they did use a guy they drafted 3rd overall to trade for Jeff Carter. Carter was the 11th pick in the loaded 2013 NHL draft.

List of winners and players drafted in top 5

2014 Kings 2 

2013 Hawks 2

2012 Kings 1 (see above)

2011 Bruins 2

2010 Hawks 3

2009 Pens 5

2008 Wings 0

2007 Ducks 5

2006 Canes 5

I don't care where you get your top end talent but you need to find them. One sure fire way to aquire that level of talent is through the draft and going through a few years of suffering. Sorry you're not entertained by the product, I know watching them and cheering for their opponent sucks but at the end of the day it will be worth it. 

If you want to be entertained in the mean-time, go watch Erie v Ottawa this afternoon. I can promise you McDavid won't disappoint and I'm sure watching Eichel won't either.

You should add the Bruins to the list.  Seguin only played 13 playoff games that year. I think Buffalo will have 2 top 5 players but what will put them over the top is all those other 1st and 2nd round guys they have in the pipeline. They will be instrumental to the process of becoming a cup contender.

I agree as long as the team entering the playoffs on a hot streak have elite talent. At the end of the day, unless you can find a Zetterberg and Datsyuk late in the draft, you need high end talent to win the cup. 

Since 2004/05, the only other team to win the cup without at LEAST 2 players drafted in top 5 was the 2012 LA Kings. However they did use a guy they drafted 3rd overall to trade for Jeff Carter. Carter was the 11th pick in the loaded 2013 NHL draft.

List of winners and players drafted in top 5

2014 Kings 2 

2013 Hawks 2

2012 Kings 1 (see above)

2011 Bruins 2

2010 Hawks 3

2009 Pens 5

2008 Wings 0

2007 Ducks 5

2006 Canes 5

I don't care where you get your top end talent but you need to find them. One sure fire way to aquire that level of talent is through the draft and going through a few years of suffering. Sorry you're not entertained by the product, I know watching them and cheering for their opponent sucks but at the end of the day it will be worth it. 

If you want to be entertained in the mean-time, go watch Erie v Ottawa this afternoon. I can promise you McDavid won't disappoint and I'm sure watching Eichel won't either.

Interesting stats. But one thing to note is you're using top 5 picks to imply that those are what makes a contender. I was making the point that I prefer to have a 555 team, I didn't make any comment about not drafting high. How many of those teams you mentioned were 555 teams that season? I can tell you four of those six most recent teams were only at, or below 560. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

And five years later they were in the cup finals.

I think that day was probably the day Golisano let Briere and Drury walk for no reason and Darcy decided the remaining core would be good enough with a few tweaks.

That started four years of stagnation that morphed into the tank.

We failed to replenish the pipeline, squandered picks on mediocre veterans, ignored the centre ice position and failed to move any significant players in order to improve the team.

Every other era of Sabres hockey, even now, we have either been moving forward with a plan, or re-setting the previous failed plan.
Post black Sunday is the only era where we said mediocre was good enough.

Today is an absolute joke on the ice, but at least it is a calculated gamble that has acquired numerous assets.
Sit still and you die.

The Day the Sabres played their first game: October 10th, 1970.

The # of Stanley Cups won since Day 1: 0

The # of days between then and today: 16,188.

Every day that passes without the Sabres winning only adds to that value.  Therefore, the furthest the Sabres have ever been from winning the Cup was the day they played their first game.  (assumption: they were not eligible to win a cup until they played an NHL game).

They were in the cup Finals, but did not win and thus remained as far from winning the Cup as ever.

Anyway.. they suck and in theory have a great future.  And if another 16,188 days pass between today and the Cup it would be May 29, 2059.

The Boston Herald is reporting that the Bruins are likely to add a quality forward soon and now have interest in Drew Stafford as well as Chris Stewart.

The whipping boy goes to our hated rival, seems appropriate. What are we looking at in return here? A mid-level prospect? Edited by WildCard

The Boston Herald is reporting that the Bruins are likely to add a quality forward soon and now have interest in Drew Stafford as well as Chris Stewart.

The Bruins need a RHS up front.  If I were them I would take Stafford.  He would cost less assets and I think he plays a better 2 way game. 

That said the rumored asking price for O'Reilly = 1st rnd pick, 2 top prospects, good young player.  So if Buffalo were to trade I would guess it would be something like Ristolainen, Zemgus, 1st rnd pick and Armia... ###### that.

They won't get anywhere near that for a guy 16 months from UFA.

Just to be clear, the price for a cost-controlled Tyler freaking Seguin was the equivalent of 

Pominville, Mark Pysyk and Nick Baptiste.

For a cost-controlled Ryan Kesler it was something like 

Ennis, Blues first and Mike Weber

O'Reilly is good, but he's no franchise player.

The Avalanche are in a hole here and the trade return value is dropping every day.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.