Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Correct.

In the 1999 playoffs a 7th seed rode a great goalie and hard work all the way to the finals.

Of course, they were gypped out of the cup in the end.

In 2010, a 7th seed did it with a goalie.

I don't even know what "contender" means unless it means "made the playoffs."

In 2010, a 7th seed did it with a ###### goalie.

I don't even know what "contender" means unless it means "made the playoffs."

Don't the higher seeds win the vast majority of first round series? It'd be a loose generalization, but I'd say the top-4, maybe 5, in each conference are the contenders. I don't have numbers, but I'd be pretty surprised if bottom-3 seeds advanced enough to be considered anything other than pretenders.

That's too bad. If we couldn't get a 2nd then, I really doubt we can get one now.

Im not so sure about that? It all depends on needs. Paul Gaustad once cost a 1st round pick from a team that builds and values the draft extremely high. Enroth hasn't played very well lately, but im sure there is a few GMs around the league who put the blame at total-shots against (corsi) and think with a better defense and puck possesson, Enroth for a 2nd rounder could be a bargain.

Been gone skiing for a week, anyone got traded yet ? or anyithing else going on ?

Nope. Murray just said things are very quiet right now.

Benning has already said he won't trade the future for help now. That remains to be seen but the Canucks are known as a team that previously made too many of those type of trades thinking they were one piece away. You still have to draft and develop players in this league to succeed. Unfortunately they have too much money locked up in two players that play on the top line and not much else. 

Canucks are stuck in no-mans land right in the middle of the NHL standings. is there anyone who wouldn't agree Sabres are closer?

Sabres are definitely closer to winning a cup than the Canucks, and probably a lot of other teams that are championing mediocrity. These teams tend to be be highly stable staying in the middle for long stretches at a time. The Sabres don't have that problem anymore. We'll probably be making a strong run at the Cup in 3-5 years while the middlings will stay middlings.

I don't think it's 50/50, but over the last few years the Finals have had almost as many lower seeded teams as higher seeded teams. Including two of the last three in which both teams were lower seeded. 

Correction: The Rangers were actually a higher seeded team last year (#4) even though they were 5th in points in the East. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Leafs GM and director of pro scouting in LA tonight... They're claiming this was a "planned trip." Don't buy that for a second.

If this is based on the Richards Phaneuf rumor, I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit especially for the Leafs. Just looked at NHL numbers. Kessel's contract is absurd. I can't believe they gave him that contract. Edited by inkman

If this is based on the Richards Phaneuf rumor, I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit especially for the Leafs. Just looked at NHL numbers. Kessel's contract is absurd. I can't believe they gave him that contract.

If Kessel became available all 29 other teams would call them immediately offering up key young pieces... He's a great player. Wouldn't really be excited about getting him but just about everybody close to the game of hockey raves about him. Would never make him the key piece to my team like the Leafs have but Kessel on McDavid's wing? Wow.

On the Kings/Leafs: I think they're going to get creative. Franson, Kadri and a few others are probably interesting the Kings.

Also: the Sabres have two scouts at LA/BOS tonight.

If Kessel became available all 29 other teams would call them immediately offering up key young pieces... He's a great player. Wouldn't really be excited about getting him but just about everybody close to the game of hockey raves about him. Would never make him the key piece to my team like the Leafs have but Kessel on McDavid's wing? Wow.

On the Kings/Leafs: I think they're going to get creative. Franson, Kadri and a few others are probably interesting the Kings.

Also: the Sabres have two scouts at LA/BOS tonight.

Gotta think it's about Stewart to the Bruins. It makes too much sense. Hate to see it but he'd fit right in.

Gotta think it's about Stewart to the Bruins. It makes too much sense. Hate to see it but he'd fit right in.

I'd be fine with it because the assumption is that the Bruins will be looking at rental-only players. Stewart makes sense in that regard because his price will likely be that of a rental player. Antoine Vermette, on the other hand, is likely going to force some extra pieces.

I'd be fine with it because the assumption is that the Bruins will be looking at rental-only players. Stewart makes sense in that regard because his price will likely be that of a rental player. Antoine Vermette, on the other hand, is likely going to force some extra pieces.

Really, really, really hoping they resign Stewart after trading him. IMHO, he'd be the perfect complement/policeman for McEichel. Protect the franchise.

Really, really, really hoping they resign Stewart after trading him. IMHO, he'd be the perfect complement/policeman for McEichel. Protect the franchise.

I'm warming up to the idea a bit. He's terribly inconsistent in general. Even on good teams. But if we can get him for a reasonable number (absolutely not a penny more than $4.5M).

I'm warming up to the idea a bit. He's terribly inconsistent in general. Even on good teams. But if we can get him for a reasonable number (absolutely not a penny more than $4.5M).

I just don't want Ennis and Moulson to be his linemates. One of them sure, but I need someone ready to knock someone's teeth out if you touch.

Don't the higher seeds win the vast majority of first round series? It'd be a loose generalization, but I'd say the top-4, maybe 5, in each conference are the contenders. I don't have numbers, but I'd be pretty surprised if bottom-3 seeds advanced enough to be considered anything other than pretenders.

2014, 6 seed in finals. 6 seed wins the Cup.

2013, 4 and 5 seeds in semifinals.  4 seed in finals.

2012, 6 and 8 seeds in semifinals.  6 and 8 seeds in finals.  8 seed wins the Cup.

2011, 5 seed in semifinals.

2010, 7 and 8 seeds in semifinals.  7 seed in finals.

"Contender" means nothing other than "in the playoffs."  

Edited by Eleven

2012, 6 and 8 seeds in semifinals.  6 and 8 seeds in finals.  8 seed wins the Cup.

Interesting, then, to note that the philosophy behind Terry's Tank is that teams that try to "just" make the playoffs are doing it wrong and should be looked down upon. Their greedy owners just want some playoff revenue; they don't have the dedication to build their teams the "right way." Terry knows. You must build a dynasty, the perfect team. Can't rely on getting into the playoffs and "catching fire." "It's not about making the playoffs, just making the playoffs," said Darce on The Day of Suffering and Self-Immolation.

I know Lindy used to quite like being a lower seed team. As that means the first two games are away, so if you lose both then oh well we'll make it up at home, but if you split them then suddenly you feel like you control the series and could be 3-1 up before having to go back to their building. I'm inclined to agree

Interesting, then, to note that the philosophy behind Terry's Tank is that teams that try to "just" make the playoffs are doing it wrong and should be looked down upon. Their greedy owners just want some playoff revenue; they don't have the dedication to build their teams the "right way." Terry knows. You must build a dynasty, the perfect team. Can't rely on getting into the playoffs and "catching fire." "It's not about making the playoffs, just making the playoffs," said Darce on The Day of Suffering and Self-Immolation.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, here.  You're addressing my point that low-seeded teams can go deep into the playoffs and then saying something about Pegula?  Or Darcy?  Or both?  I'm very confused.

Edited by Eleven

All I know is that the last two Sabres team to make the playoffs were in no way contenders.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.