Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

This would be a fairly big trade if it goes down. I vote yes for excitement.

We can't get too hung up on McEichel. I don't think we're bad enough to finish dead last and our chances of winning the lottery are 20% or less.

I want a McEichel but we don't NEED a McEichel. We need talent; if it's generational, thats just a bonus.

Why would we "suffer" through the last season and this one for something other than McEichel? At this point there appears to be a rather big drop off after McEichel and maybe Hanifan. yes it is a loaded draft but, since we have no chance of making a run in the playoffs, let's finish last and have the chance to pick the player Murray wants instead of selecting 7 or 8. If we don't get McEichel, then Murray will need to attempt to trade for some first line scorers as we don't seem to have them in the organization. This is the one piece we seem to be missing in our prospect pool. The Sabres do not have the can't miss candidate, outside of possibly Reinhardt, that can fill the first line roles. They don't seem to have those top line players. Lots and lots of 2 and 3rd liners though. If they don't get one of the top two draft picks, it changes the team building strategy. Murray has to trade instead of draft that top line scorer.

At this point the Oiler's are just a cluster ###### of problems. I wouldn't even know where to begin. It's like an 18X18 rubics cube. Clean house with the exception of maybe Hall and RNH, and bring in some vets with a new coach.

Start with MacT and his cronies. That guy has absolutely no clue in what it takes to build a winner. Or maybe he does...Keep collecting 1st overall picks perpetually.

My Reinhart comment was simply that he was so not ready for the NHL. Will he be a solid player - most likely yes. However, I don't think at the end of the day if we end up with Reinhart and Strome as the two main pieces to the tank we will consider that worth it. Yes, we accumulated a lot of other players that have the POTENTIAL to be good NHL players. Nome of them are in the same league as McEichle.

Are we on the way up as a respectable team? Yes. Will we survive without McEichle? Yes. Will we be MUCH better off with McEichle? Yes. That is non-debatable and finishing 4th would be a downright joke.

For arguements sake the year Crosby went #1 Benoit Pouliet went #4. Sure Pitt probably would have been ok with Pouliet (hey that rhymes) but they sure were a hell of a lot better off with Sid.

For arguments sake huh?

2003: 3rd Nathan Horton, 4th Nicolai Zherdev, 5th Thomas Vanek

2006: 3rd Jonathan Toews, 4th Nicklas Backstrom

2009: 3rd Matt Duchene, 4th Evander Kane, 5th Brayden Schenn

2010: 4th Ryan Johansen, 5th Nino Niederreiter

2013: 3rd Drouin, 5th Lindholm, 6th Monahan

I picked those drafts for specific reasons. They were categorized as deep during their draft years and subsequently have turned out to be accurate on that front. Now this draft is considered the deepest one for forwards since 2003 and will supposedly be better than the 2013 draft. As for Pittsburgh I have argued now, on this board, multiple times that the reason Pittsburgh has only won a single cup is because they draft poorly and have a lack of depth outside of Crosby. I would have loved for Crosby to be a Sabre and win us a cup, but in his 9years in the league (not counting this season) he has won a single cup which tells me that having 1 all star isn't the way to go. Dylan Strome, Mitch Marner, Pavel Zacha, Mathew Barzal etc... these guys are all extremely talented young hockey players. Finishing 4th isn't a joke. If after the official tank ends we finish with Sam Reinhart and Dylan Strome as our two key pieces, we did pretty freaking well. The 2014 draft IMPO was devoid of high end talent and we might be one of the few teams that got some.

21yr old Samson with Girgensons and Baptiste will light things on fire.

Dylan Strome on Girgorenko's wing for vice versus with Armia tossed in... dear god. The talent level the Sabres have post 2015 Draft is going to be phenominal and although I agree McDavid and Eichel are the first place prizes, finishing with a consolation prize in this draft won't make you feel bad.

Why would we "suffer" through the last season and this one for something other than McEichel? At this point there appears to be a rather big drop off after McEichel and maybe Hanifan. yes it is a loaded draft but, since we have no chance of making a run in the playoffs, let's finish last and have the chance to pick the player Murray wants instead of selecting 7 or 8. If we don't get McEichel, then Murray will need to attempt to trade for some first line scorers as we don't seem to have them in the organization. This is the one piece we seem to be missing in our prospect pool. The Sabres do not have the can't miss candidate, outside of possibly Reinhardt, that can fill the first line roles. They don't seem to have those top line players. Lots and lots of 2 and 3rd liners though. If they don't get one of the top two draft picks, it changes the team building strategy. Murray has to trade instead of draft that top line scorer.

Armia, Grigorenko, carrier, Bailey and Baptiste all have first line ceilings.

For arguments sake huh?

2003: 3rd Nathan Horton, 4th Nicolai Zherdev, 5th Thomas Vanek

2006: 3rd Jonathan Toews, 4th Nicklas Backstrom

2009: 3rd Matt Duchene, 4th Evander Kane, 5th Brayden Schenn

2010: 4th Ryan Johansen, 5th Nino Niederreiter

2013: 3rd Drouin, 5th Lindholm, 6th Monahan

I picked those drafts for specific reasons. They were categorized as deep during their draft years and subsequently have turned out to be accurate on that front. Now this draft is considered the deepest one for forwards since 2003 and will supposedly be better than the 2013 draft. As for Pittsburgh I have argued now, on this board, multiple times that the reason Pittsburgh has only won a single cup is because they draft poorly and have a lack of depth outside of Crosby. I would have loved for Crosby to be a Sabre and win us a cup, but in his 9years in the league (not counting this season) he has won a single cup which tells me that having 1 all star isn't the way to go. Dylan Strome, Mitch Marner, Pavel Zacha, Mathew Barzal etc... these guys are all extremely talented young hockey players. Finishing 4th isn't a joke. If after the official tank ends we finish with Sam Reinhart and Dylan Strome as our two key pieces, we did pretty freaking well. The 2014 draft IMPO was devoid of high end talent and we might be one of the few teams that got some.

21yr old Samson with Girgensons and Baptiste will light things on fire.

Dylan Strome on Girgorenko's wing for vice versus with Armia tossed in... dear god. The talent level the Sabres have post 2015 Draft is going to be phenominal and although I agree McDavid and Eichel are the first place prizes, finishing with a consolation prize in this draft won't make you feel bad.

I know exactly what you are saying. I have made similar comments before that I have faith in Murray to turn this around regardless of our draft slot.

My position on it is simply come draft day there is not one Sabre fan who will not be sick to their stomach when/if they watch McDavid go 1 and Eichle go 2. Spin it however you want but that is the reality of it. Mainly because we have had this tank rammed down our throat for so long.

On a different note I don't see us using all 3 first round picks we have. Either he packages the two late picks to move up or he uses at least one in a package for a veteran.

Edited by sicknfla

Maybe. But I would rather take my chances with McEichel. Complete the tear down, bye bye Stafford et al and start a new era with no hangover. The Sabres positioned themselves for the prize and failing to see it through is the converse a late season run but narrow miss of the final po spot. Down the road you will feel the effects. Jmho

Edited by 3putt

Armia, Grigorenko, carrier, Bailey and Baptiste all have first line ceilings.

First, I agree with the argument that they don't necessarily have to end up in the top 2 to complete the full rebuild, but ..,,

Second, I still see too much "giddiness" over the talent level of some of the prospects.

I am very optimistic for the future but it will go down as the greatest four years of drafting in any sport if half the guys careers march the level projected for them by some on this board .

First, I agree with the argument that they don't necessarily have to end up in the top 2 to complete the full rebuild, but ..,,

Second, I still see too much "giddiness" over the talent level of some of the prospects.

I am very optimistic for the future but it will go down as the greatest four years of drafting in any sport if half the guys careers march the level projected for them by some on this board .

One poster in particular is way over the top in his drooling over the prospects. The pure volume of high quality guys is great, but it is going to take more than just these guys to turn this team around. At some point, some of these bodies are going to have to be moved for NHL-level players. That part is just as important as developing your own players.

Perhaps the recent streak is making people think they can have their cake and it it too. I see it as nothing more than classic mistiming. I don't care if they win 10 in a row or make the last spot. Nothing short of dfl would be a positive for me. There isnt nearly enough of the high end talent, I.e. scoring talent, in the pipeline to make me think otherwise. With exception of Risto, Zad and Gus I would move anyone for the right return and to assure a better shot at dfl. Again, I realize that is an extreme position with no more guarantee of success but that's how I see it.

One poster in particular is way over the top in his drooling over the prospects. The pure volume of high quality guys is great, but it is going to take more than just these guys to turn this team around. At some point, some of these bodies are going to have to be moved for NHL-level players. That part is just as important as developing your own players.

Absolutely we will have to trade prospects for vets. We just aren't at that point yet. It will probably be at least another season for that.

Again, I really want Connor or Jake. I will be disappointed if we do not acquire them. However failing to do so does not in my mind constitute a failure for the rebuild.

So I think we have exhausted all sides of that argument from the pro to the con. Anyone watch the Jack Eichel highlights from the weekend? Kid has mad skills. That said if I could trade Myers to Edmonton and come away with their 1st round pick... Well who wouldn't want McDavid, Eichel, and Hanifin all on the same team?

I've stated this recently also. There is no way the Sabres are going to build a winner just by waiting for the prospects(or even half of them) to become NHL ready. There is no better example of this than Edmonton.

All this talk of a blueline of Myers, Risto, Zads, McCabe, Pysyk, Ruhwedel and <fill in the blank> will ensure seasons of losing unless the fill in the blank is a Norris Trophy winner still in his prime.

This is where all Sabres fans better get out there rosaries and hope that TM knows how to build a winner from this collection of picks/prospects.

Edited by LabattBlue

I've stated this recently also. There is no way the Sabres are going to build a winner just by waiting for the prospects(or even half of them) to become NHL ready. There is no better example of this than Edmonton.

All this talk of a blueline of Myers, Risto, Zads, McCabe, Pysyk, Ruhwedel and <fill in the blank> will ensure seasons of losing unless the fill in the blank is a Norris Trophy winner still in his prime.

I disagree. You preclude the idea that one of those young players because Norris caliber which is a very real possibility. Risto and Zad have extremely high ceilings.

I just don't understand how everyone is so willing to believe that none of our prospects can do what Tarasenko or Karlsson or half a dozen other mid round first picks do which is emerge and dominate.

I disagree. You preclude the idea that one of those young players because Norris caliber which is a very real possibility. Risto and Zad have extremely high ceilings.

I just don't understand how everyone is so willing to believe that none of our prospects can do what Tarasenko or Karlsson or half a dozen other mid round first picks do which is emerge and dominate.

My point is if they try and throw out a kiddie corp of blueliners, they will get their ###### kicked.

I think you're looking at taking those 6 guys and making them 4 guys plus 2 guys in the 27-30 year-old range with playoff experience.

By the time this group is ready to run in the playoffs, Myers will be 27, so you'd have a half youth, half prime blue line. I like that for it's balance of experience and cap numbers.

My point is if they try and throw out a kiddie corp of blueliners, they will get their ###### kicked.

That's why you keeps Myers unless a team blows you away with an offer and you also keep Gorges. They form a decent to good top line pair already that are both under contract for the next 3 seasons after this one (Myers for 4). By then we will know more about Ristolainen and Zadarov and their potential to form our new top pair and they'll both be 22-23 by then with several years in the league. Plus we still have Weber and with a solid to good to great top 4 it'll be easier to develop kids on the bottom pair, especially since Psysk and McCabe are older than Ristolainen and Zadarov.

Edited by Drunkard

That is why with the exception of Zadorov - all are spending time in the AHL. 4 reasons why the Oilers are stuck in rebuild:

1) Prospects spend absolutely no time in the Minors. Same mistake made this year by forcing Draisatl into the 2nd line centre spot.

2) Perdominately drafting Forwards with high end picks

3) No 2rd or 3rd round pick making any impact

4) TERRIBLE GOALTENDING

I'll add a 5th - besides the Hall year, their timing for the #1 pick has been terrible. if you are going to tank - do it in a year when McDavid, Eichel, Stamkos, etc are available

Edited by Crusader1969

Holy sh@t, the spelling and grammar in this thread are atrocious. How can we take you seriously when you write like an unmotivated twelve year old?

I've been looking at this comment all day, reread a bunch of other's posts, and at this point I just wanna know who you're talking about. It's become one of those "what changes from picture to picture" games for me, and I'm pretty sure I've lost.

Also every Oiler with the exception of Hall and RNH is available.

Now that's interesting. Let the fire sale in Edmonton begin!

Edited by WildCard

I've been looking at this comment all day, reread a bunch of other's posts, and at this point I just wanna know who you're talking about. It's become one of those "what changes from picture to picture" games for me, and I'm pretty sure I've lost.

I was thinking the same thing.

Edited by sicknfla

Potential trade brewing between two bottom dwellers.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 16m16 minutes ago

Hearing chatter that a deal between
and
is well along in the process.
mentions Perron and Anisimov as likely

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m1 minute ago

See @TSNAaronWard's timeline for details. Perron and Anisimov primary names mentioned but others are also apparently being discussed.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie · 4m4 minutes ago

Can't say with certainty an EDM-CBJ trade will be consummated but by all accounts they're working very hard to make something happen.
Edited by BRAWNDO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.