Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I think anyone willing to move Myers in a package deal is doing this because our team scores 1.5 goals per game and are sick of our lack of scoring. You have to give up something to get something and seeing that Zad and Risto look the part then I think we may be able to turn our D depth into some more scoring. I think Myers is a good player who still has more potential so I wouldn't give him away.

Also if your GMTM your projecting out 3 years. Yes, today Myers is a top pairing Dman for us. Is he the guy we think can be a top pairing Dman on a Cup contending team that we are trying to build. I think GMTM knows the answer to this.

We will not win a Cup with Myers in our top pair. He is simply not and never will be mentally strong enough. So if that is the case and a team wants to throw us potential top 6 forwards then you jump all over it.

With 3 first rounders and two seconds you have to figure he drafts one D in each round. We will be fine on D without Myers.

Also if your GMTM your projecting out 3 years. Yes, today Myers is a top pairing Dman for us. Is he the guy we think can be a top pairing Dman on a Cup contending team that we are trying to build. I think GMTM knows the answer to this.

We will not win a Cup with Myers in our top pair. He is simply not and never will be mentally strong enough. So if that is the case and a team wants to throw us potential top 6 forwards then you jump all over it.

With 3 first rounders and two seconds you have to figure he drafts one D in each round. We will be fine on D without Myers.

Who's to say that even if we keep Myers that he has to be on our top pair a few years from now? His cap hit is not so high that he has to be on the top pair. Realistically he could be on our 2nd pair with Gorges if Ristolainen and Zadarov continue to develop and they become ready to assume top pairing duties in a couple of years. I'm completely ok with trading Myers but not for just some top 6 prospect. I either want a young promising player who can play in our top 6 now or a can't miss prospect who will be ready to play for us next year. We have plenty of potential top 6 forward prospects already.

Myers is probably the perfect player to sit in that 3/4 slot behind Risto and Zadorov IF, IF, Risto and Zadorov continue to be able to play at their current high levels. I am in new hurry to trade Myers and currently don't think we should unless the offer is outstanding.

Also in those tweets they suggest Markstrom... didn't he clear waivers earlier this season? Why the hell would Murray trade for a guy he could have picked up for free a mere 2 months ago?

Markstrom clears waivers...

It sucks to say but just the fact of trading Myers it will greatly increase our chances of landing that can't miss prospect you mention.

We can do that by dumping other players rather than the young defenseman currently playing our hardest minutes who is already under a long term contract. If they want to ensure the tank that badly they can dump Stewart, Stafford, Mitchell, Meszaros, Benoit, Stratchan, and either of our goalies who are all free agents at the end of the season and replace them with kids who will have to earn their lumps and will likely struggle enough initially that we go back to losing at a record setting pace.

They don't need to dump Myers to ensure the tank. He's a valuable asset that is signed long term and I'm happy that Murray seems to be in the keep him unless someone is willing to overpay camp. He drives me nuts sometimes but we shouldn't just move him to move him.

Edited by Drunkard

Who's to say that even if we keep Myers that he has to be on our top pair a few years from now? His cap hit is not so high that he has to be on the top pair. Realistically he could be on our 2nd pair with Gorges if Ristolainen and Zadarov continue to develop and they become ready to assume top pairing duties in a couple of years. I'm completely ok with trading Myers but not for just some top 6 prospect. I either want a young promising player who can play in our top 6 now or a can't miss prospect who will be ready to play for us next year. We have plenty of potential top 6 forward prospects already.

My point is if a team is willing to offer you top pairing trade value you take it.

My point is if a team is willing to offer you top pairing trade value you take it.

Can you give an example? What do you consider top pairing trade value? A forward prospect that is expected to be a top 6 player? Can you give me a specific prospect from another team or an equivalent prospect from our roster?

Mantha?

A Grigorenko type player?

A prospect on par with someone like McCabe? Compher? Baptiste? Reinhart?

It's about collecting as many good players as possible.

Myers, as much as many refuse to see it, is a good player.

No one is going to trade an elite prospect for him and we are already overflowing with good prospects.

I'd move him as a piece to acquire a better player. Otherwise, why move him?

@BuffNewsVogl- "The Sabres have returned to practice -- with two exceptions. Tyler Myers and Cody McCormick are absent.". Just throwing some wood into the fire.

My guess is both are injury-related... obviously McCormick has the concussion concerns, but Myers also blocked a shot with his hand so may be a "maintenance day" for him.

Can you give an example? What do you consider top pairing trade value? A forward prospect that is expected to be a top 6 player? Can you give me a specific prospect from another team or an equivalent prospect from our roster?

Mantha?

A Grigorenko type player?

A prospect on par with someone like McCabe? Compher? Baptiste? Reinhart?

Totally depends on what GMTM's plan is. If he wants to win now his best chance is to keep him. If he wants McEichle and is totally ok with at least 3 more years of rebuild then he moves him. Personally, i am tired of picks and prospects. Unfortunately, i don't see him being moved for a player that helps us today.

So to answer your question I guess if i was making the call i would want a top prospect both on offense and defense. Maybe add one of our seconds at get the other teams first.

Totally depends on what GMTM's plan is. If he wants to win now his best chance is to keep him. If he wants McEichle and is totally ok with at least 3 more years of rebuild then he moves him. Personally, i am tired of picks and prospects. Unfortunately, i don't see him being moved for a player that helps us today.

So to answer your question I guess if i was making the call i would want a top prospect both on offense and defense. Maybe add one of our seconds at get the other teams first.

I'm getting tired of picks and prospects as well but that's typically the currency teams trade in. I think we should keep Myers unless someone overpays and that would have to include a top 6 forward for next season which probably means keeping him. We can still manipulate the roster in other ways to ensure a top pick without moving Myers though like I listed upthread. We have 4 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 2 goalies who are all UFA's at the end of the season. Even if some on the guys in Rochester are upgrades I would assume some sort of learning curve before they come in and improve the team plus it could mess up this newly found chemistry the team seems to be developing.

Myers can definitely be frustrating to watch at times but it seems like people want to move him just for the sake of moving him and I just don't get it.

Edited by Drunkard

This reminds me of when ppl were talking about how we should move Pominville because x,y,z.... the team got considerably worse without him regardless of what his perceived flaws were.

It's definitely similar but the biggest differences are that Myers is still young and he's under a long term contract. Pominville got moved with just one additional year on his deal where Myers is locked up long term. Many people point to Gaustad but I think the actual start to the rebuild was when Pominville got traded for a pick and 2 prospects.

So Myers is fine according to twitter.

He's still the same player he always was though. A complementary piece.

Pominville improves just about any team in the league. He is in between complimentary and core. In Buffalo though he wouldn't have worked as a core piece.

It's definitely similar but the biggest differences are that Myers is still young and he's under a long term contract. Pominville got moved with just one additional year on his deal where Myers is locked up long term. Many people point to Gaustad but I think the actual start to the rebuild was when Pominville got traded for a pick and 2 prospects.

Yes the contract length but I mean people talking about how Myers isn't a #1 defender so let's trade him. Just reminds of how people were like we should trade Pommer's.

Either way, no reason to trade Tyler for spare parts and dreams.

So Myers is fine according to twitter.

Pominville improves just about any team in the league. He is in between complimentary and core. In Buffalo though he wouldn't have worked as a core piece.

Yes the contract length but I mean people talking about how Myers isn't a #1 defender so let's trade him. Just reminds of how people were like we should trade Pommer's.

Either way, no reason to trade Tyler for spare parts and dreams.

I definitely agree. Myers could end up being the best #3 defenseman in the league if Ristolainen and Zadarov develop like we hope and reach their full potential. If we somehow win too many games and draft Hanifan at #3 we could end up with one of the best and deepest defenses in the league as well. If we can just find a way to finish last though, I see the entire team being solid to good or even great from top to bottom in a few years if even half of our prospects pan out. If not we'd have enough prospects and players needed to make a couple of moves to make us true contenders.

There is NFW that Murray trades Myers, or anyone else, for the purpose of ensuring a worse record this season.

If GMTM has a vision of what he wants on this team in 3 years and Myers is not part of it then he will be gone sooner rather than later. If sooner it will no doubt have an affect on the rest of the season. Regardless what they say finishing outside McEichle is a nightmare scenario for them. They did not sell this tank and the need for star players on us to finish 4th.

I just have this feeling that GMTM wants this to be HIS team. For whatever reason I do not get the impression that Myers is his guy.

I fully expect a Myers/Hodgson deal at some point. And it won't be for players that immediately jump into our lineup. Not saying I like the idea just think that he has a vision of the team he wants and those two will not be part of it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.