Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I'll post over here too, and although it doesn't directly answer your question, it presents some discount options.

We should consider offer sheeting Martin Jones at $3.3M a year for three years.  Might be too rich for LA's cap-crunched blood, especially as a backup to Quick.  Compensation would be a 2nd round pick.  Jones had the 14th best GVT in 2013-14 and 7th best ESSV% at 0.949.

If not that, maybe take a run at Cam Talbot, UFA after next year.  Talbot was 12th in both GVT and ESSV% last year.

Also give some consideration to offer sheeting Calvin Pickard to the same terms as Martin Jones above.  Pickard was a 49th overall pick in 2010 and showed promise in relief of an injured Varlamov.  He's 9th among goalies this year in GVT, COL wouldn't pay that money to a backup.

Maybe also give Scott Darling a look. 6'6" monster that backed up Raanta when Crawford went down.  He's had a down and up career and posted good numbers this year.

All these guys could be had cheap.

So, do we have the ammunition to pull off another?

Myers was our biggest chip and Stafford, Enroth and an extra first were most of the other cards we had to play.

Can we pull off O'Reilly with the pieces we've got left, at the deadline, or the draft?

Or at least a lower-case version?

Seems to me with McEichel (fingers crossed), Reinhart and Kane added to the top nine, a two-way guy to upgrade Mitchell's role and shield the kids should be a priority, along with a top four defenceman, preferably one that can play the powerplay.

Stewart has to be on the table, and we have cap space, role players and more prospects/picks to play with.

That's not a lot.

I think that's why I still somehow see Richards in Blue and Gold.

Edited by dudacek

So, do we have the ammunition to pull off another?

Myers was our biggest chip and Stafford, Enroth and an extra first were most of the other cards we had to play.

Can we pull off O'Reilly with the pieces we've got left, at the deadline, or the draft?

Or at least a lower-case version?

Seems to me with McEichel (fingers crossed), Reinhart and Kane added to the top nine, a two-way guy to upgrade Mitchell's role and shield the kids should be a priority, along with a top four defenceman, preferably one that can play the powerplay.

Stewart has to be on the table, and we have cap space, role players and more prospects/picks to play with.

That's not a lot.

I do think we have enough to pull off another big trade.

Solid pieces to add to a bigger package: Grigorenko, Pysyk, a late first, multiple seconds, Compher, Fasching, McCabe, Foligno

Big pieces for big deals: 2016 first, Bailey, Baptiste, Ennis

Pieces for HUGE deals: Reinhart, Risto, Zadorov, Girgensons (only for the premium players)

If they have a shot at O'Reilly, the payment is really going to hurt. We're one of talking Risto, Zadorov, Girgensons and probably Ennis.

If Ennis is the centerpiece in a deal then I do it. Ennis, the late first and Pysyk? I do it.

Dammit Murray it has been almost 5 hours since you made a trade, Do Something Tim!!

Lol nice.

If they have a shot at O'Reilly, the payment is really going to hurt. We're one of talking Risto, Zadorov, Girgensons and probably Ennis.

If we get mceichel in the draft do we still go after ROR? Isn't mceichel and Reinhart our top two centres for the next decade?

I do think we have enough to pull off another big trade.

Solid pieces to add to a bigger package: Grigorenko, Pysyk, a late first, multiple seconds, Compher, Fasching, McCabe, Foligno

Big pieces for big deals: 2016 first, Bailey, Baptiste, Ennis

Pieces for HUGE deals: Reinhart, Risto, Zadorov, Girgensons (only for the premium players)

If Ennis is the centerpiece in a deal then I do it. Ennis, the late first and Pysyk? I do it.

I'd like to avoid moving these if possible, with some extra emphasis on that 2016 first.  Hopefully not, but it could be a top five pick.  The type of pick that gets traded away in a trade for Phil Kessel and turns into Tyler Seguin.

I'd like to avoid moving these if possible, with some extra emphasis on that 2016 first.  Hopefully not, but it could be a top five pick.  The type of pick that gets traded away in a trade for Phil Kessel and turns into Tyler Seguin.

Agreed. I'd be fine moving Compher/McCabe if they're a key piece for a team like Chicago, San Jose or Colorado in a forward deal. Otherwise let's hold them and see what they become.

The 2016 first should only be dealt for a big time player, but teams are smart enough to realize that if they give us good talent for the pick it becomes less valuable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.