GDT: Buffalo at Washington, 5pm Sept. 21, 2014 (preseason) NHLN, MSG

Eleven

What I saw tonight:

Zadorov: he seemed more composed, playing within himself. Didn't see big plays positive or negative.

At first I read this as *playing with himself*, I must admit.

A very good assessment. Thanks.

I think this squad of AHL no stars and rookies played well enough to win against what was pretty much an opening night roster in the Caps.

Here's my takes on the game:

It was a tad unfair in the disparity between the rosters but Buffalo certainly fought valiantly.

Benoit- he might be the best depth defenseman we've had in years. Looked smooth with his skating and in the last 3 minutes looked exceptional in the offensive end.

Risto- Looks like a vet most of the time, made a smart play when racing Ward to the loose puck, pinched at good times, made few mistakes, and made some very nice behind the net plays

Grigs- certainly looks better then he had in the past, skates far harder and was actually using his body to protect the puck, very good signs of maturity in his case and was a faceoff master

Zadorov- didn't wow in the first two periods, didn't screw up a ton either though, 3rd period he looked more like the Zadorov we are used to, hitting and skating around in the offensive zone to help with the cycle

Reinhart- didn't wow me, however that being said, he certainly didn't look lost out there by any means, mentally I think he's NHL caliber already but I still worry about his frame, wasn't jumpy with passes either

Others:

Lieuwen looked very good out there, overall there wasn't any bad play persay and AHL/Junior Sabres only lost 1-0 to NHL/a few prospects Capitals, Holtby played goalie in 2nd and 3rd

Here are a few more thoughts for those that didn't get to watch:

*Nobody wants to read this but I thought Flynn looked pretty good out there.

*Although I really want to send Zad back to junior to save a year of eligibility he looked like one of the better players out there tonight.

*Grigo was actually pretty good out there battling in the corners. He was showing some very good effort that I hadn't seen in a long time (if ever?) from him.

*Reinhart on the other hand didn't go in the corners much and lost most battles he did. I don't expect Reinhart to be a guy that should have to go to the dirty areas often but those examples show to me that he is just not there physically yet.

*As had been said I thought Benoit had a good game and is a pretty good player. If he keeps it up it will either make the Sabres decision on Zads or Pysyk easier IMO.

*I get that we were rostering a bunch of AHLers against the Caps but I would like to have seen more scoring chances. Sometimes a team can get shut out and the goalie had stood on his head. This was not one of those nights.

*I thought Armia was alright. Not ready for full time NHL duty based on this game but he was ok. Hopefully after one more year on the Amerks he will make a serious run to make the team next season.

Links for videos and post game analyses. Courtesy of Sabres Tweeter Feed.

Buffalo Sabres@BuffaloSabres

ANALYSIS: @duffersabres & @dan_dunleavy discuss last night's game & who stood out for #Sabres http://goo.gl/wl3PJ9

Nathan Lieuwen: "We showed a lot of good things out there." His postgame comments: http://goo.gl/2ltaJv

Mikhail Grigorenko liked the #Sabres' compete level against @washcaps veterans. His full postgame comments: http://goo.gl/ddzYwC

Sam Reinhart says he felt more comfortable as the game went on last night. His full postgame comments: http://goo.gl/jqXlmB

Edited by LGR4GM

I forgot to throw in Karabacek. I thought he was one of our better players. Didn't overly care for the pick at the time with some other names available that I wanted but I was a little impressed last night and also read he had a good tourney so that's encouraging.

It was a tad unfair in the disparity between the rosters but Buffalo certainly fought valiantly.

Benoit- he might be the best depth defenseman we've had in years. Looked smooth with his skating and in the last 3 minutes looked exceptional in the offensive end.

Risto- Looks like a vet most of the time, made a smart play when racing Ward to the loose puck, pinched at good times, made few mistakes, and made some very nice behind the net plays

Grigs- certainly looks better then he had in the past, skates far harder and was actually using his body to protect the puck, very good signs of maturity in his case and was a faceoff master

Zadorov- didn't wow in the first two periods, didn't screw up a ton either though, 3rd period he looked more like the Zadorov we are used to, hitting and skating around in the offensive zone to help with the cycle

Reinhart- didn't wow me, however that being said, he certainly didn't look lost out there by any means, mentally I think he's NHL caliber already but I still worry about his frame, wasn't jumpy with passes either

Others:

Lieuwen looked very good out there, overall there wasn't any bad play persay and AHL/Junior Sabres only lost 1-0 to NHL/a few prospects Capitals, Holtby played goalie in 2nd and 3rd

(Balls)

Here are a few more thoughts for those that didn't get to watch:

*Nobody wants to read this but I thought Flynn looked pretty good out there.

*Although I really want to send Zad back to junior to save a year of eligibility he looked like one of the better players out there tonight.

*Grigo was actually pretty good out there battling in the corners. He was showing some very good effort that I hadn't seen in a long time (if ever?) from him.

*Reinhart on the other hand didn't go in the corners much and lost most battles he did. I don't expect Reinhart to be a guy that should have to go to the dirty areas often but those examples show to me that he is just not there physically yet.

*As had been said I thought Benoit had a good game and is a pretty good player. If he keeps it up it will either make the Sabres decision on Zads or Pysyk easier IMO.

*I get that we were rostering a bunch of AHLers against the Caps but I would like to have seen more scoring chances. Sometimes a team can get shut out and the goalie had stood on his head. This was not one of those nights.

*I thought Armia was alright. Not ready for full time NHL duty based on this game but he was ok. Hopefully after one more year on the Amerks he will make a serious run to make the team next season.

(Balls)

That's for you, d4rk.

I will bet money that Mark Pysyk is a Buffalo Sabre starting Oct 9th. Pysyk is better than Zadorov right now. I should also add that Pysyk is better IMPO than Benoit, Weber, Rhuwedel, and McCabe. That leaves Risto, Myers, Gorges, Meszaros as your rough top 4.

Edited by LGR4GM

Oh ya I don't disagree with you on that at all. That was just assuming Zad plays absolutely unreal, as do a few others. I've got him in the lineup almost in pen.

No I understand what you mean. I think we can't rule out Pysyk's ability to play up too. If he could generate offense in the NHL, good times.

I should add to this that I believe the Sabres 7 defenders will be:

Tyler Myers, Andrej Meszaros, Josh Gorges, Mike Weber, Rasmus Ristolainen, Mark Pysyk, Andre Benoit

Edited by LGR4GM

Others:

Been saying for a while now, we have nobody in our system who is so good on the face off as him. He really is a natural center.

I have to admit I thought Grigs looked alot better as well. Reinhart didn't do anything to stand out but it was his first game. I'm gonna go out and say it right now. Grigs and Reinhart don't start with Buffalo. Reinhart needs to get bigger and stronger and Grigs just needs more time but he's getting close. The reason why I say this is if neither can crack the top 6 why keep them here. Yes and to piss people off on this board Flynn looked pretty decent. He skates hard and works hard. That's a Teddy Nolan type of player. I was impressed with Risto and Benoit. I could care less if Mike Weber is on this squad. Other than his physical presence he really doesn't bring much to this team. But that's just me!

I could care less if Mike Weber is on this squad. Other than his physical presence he really doesn't bring much to this team. But that's just me!

Oh you aren't the only one. About 80 other posters say the same thing every time he touches the ice. Since he's the only Sabre D that touches opposing forwards, he's a welcome presence in my book. I guess everyone else wants 6 figure skaters playing D.

Oh you aren't the only one. About 80 other posters say the same thing every time he touches the ice. Since he's the only Sabre D that touches opposing forwards, he's a welcome presence in my book. I guess everyone else wants 6 figure skaters playing D.

Until the team replaces his meanness, he stays.

I have to agree about his physical game but not impressed about anything else in his game.

Yeah. Weber's the closest thing we have to a mauler on the back end.

I have to agree about his physical game but not impressed about anything else in his game.

Ya I would agree that those are our top 7 as well. If someone gets hurt then Chad gets a shot next IMO. I would like to see McCabe get the majority of the year on the farm.

Yea McCabe is going to be a very solid but he needs Rochester for at least a full season if not 2. His game to me is based off of positioning with solid but not stand out skills to go with that. He is smart and hardworking on the back end but he isn't Risto or Myers. I kind of view McCabe as Weber 3.0. He skates better, passes better, and plays defense better but has that grit to his game that Weber has. Not sure if he has a nasty streak but we shall see.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.