The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

The 'Hawks GF/GA in 2008 was 239-235

Whereas in 2007, it was 201-258

08-09, they jumped up to 264-216. But that's also the first year that Joe Quenneville came aboard.

They made some great moves in the 2007 off-season! Let's hope GMTM can work similar magic with all his chess-pieces.

Not sure where to put this stuff but...

Like a lot of fans, I long for this tank to be over.

I'm tired of words like mediocre used to describe the franchise, I had to find something positive. 40 years of cheering for this team has had some good times.

The ultimate prize is the Stanley Cup and we haven't done it. However we have won a lot of games. I looked at franchise all time win percentages and we have a good record. The only teams with better all time records than the Sabres are Montreal, Philadelphia and Boston. That's it!

While I would trade our .555 record for New Jersey's 3 cups and below .500 record, it is still something.

Other Stanley Cup winners with sub .500 records are: Chicago, Los Angeles, Tampa Bay and Carolina.

We have had some good teams but just couldn't seal the deal. Let's hope this will happen in the near future, and all of this suffering will be forgotten.

Mez sucks.  I mean he really sucks.  Wow.

Exactly, can we start waiving these guys.  Between Benoit, Strachan and Meszaros I don't know if you couldn't find a college hockey UFA ala Ruhwedel who couldn't do more with the opportunity.  

Exactly, can we start waiving these guys.  Between Benoit, Strachan and Meszaros I don't know if you couldn't find a college hockey UFA ala Ruhwedel who couldn't do more with the opportunity.

Not until the Sabres have clinched. You don't get this deep in the filth to just walk away and hose off now. If you're going to wallow around in the manure for 1-1/2 years, you don't walk away without landing the pony.

Not until the Sabres have clinched. You don't get this deep in the filth to just walk away and hose off now. If you're going to wallow around in the manure for 1-1/2 years, you don't walk away without landing the pony.

Yep exactly.

This is the last year we even want to cheer for the tank because guys like Pysyk will be up with the team for sure next season (not waiver eligible).  I don't think it will hurt his development any to maintain continuity and leave him in Rochester the rest of the way.  He will have his shot to prove his worth in 9 months.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not earth-shattering, but not nothing either.

748db9f6e40e9d95bf2b191fa8ca778f_bigger.SabresBuzz@SabresBuzz

Ted Black tells WGR that Sabres are "moving from re-building to building" this summer

Just like many if not all of us have assumed, the tank ends this season. We just need to clutch the Shart and hold onto it for dear life for the next 30 or so days and the worst segment of this team's history will all be over.

Watched the first 2 periods last night, and I found it weird how I was annoyed when we scored - and weirder when I was delighted when I woke up to discover we lost. Don't like the feeling of cheering for a loss, at all. But we know the prize, and that's got to remain the aim.

After this season, the offensive skill on show will be crazy. It'll have to be carefully maintained though, otherwise with too many rookies, we'll become Edmonton.

Still, I have my doubts that we'll even get the top-2... 

Watched the first 2 periods last night, and I found it weird how I was annoyed when we scored - and weirder when I was delighted when I woke up to discover we lost. Don't like the feeling of cheering for a loss, at all. But we know the prize, and that's got to remain the aim.

After this season, the offensive skill on show will be crazy. It'll have to be carefully maintained though, otherwise with too many rookies, we'll become Edmonton.

Still, I have my doubts that we'll even get the top-2... 

I'm hoping the Sabres can open some space between Edm and Ari the next week or so.  Way too close for my comfort.  Nobody tanks for Hanifin or Marner.

Yeah, it's getting dicey now. That meaningless point against the Leafs puts the gap to only 3 points.  If I were coaching, I'd have put the damn equipment manager in the net, play Hodgson 40 minutes, anything, to keep from getting that point.    

Edited by Jsixspd

There should be a rule that a team can only pick 1st once every three years. Teams like Edmonton shouldn't be rewarded for bad player management. They picked 1st three years in a row, and they still can't get their act together.

There should be a rule that a team can only pick 1st once every three years. Teams like Edmonton shouldn't be rewarded for bad player management. They picked 1st three years in a row, and they still can't get their act together.

What makes you think that the Sabres will be able to "get their act together" next season (or any other after that)? It's awfully tough to turn around a losing philosophy once youve been driving down that road as long as the Sabres have been. The stink that permeates this team is going to hang in the air for many seasons to come.

What makes you think that the Sabres will be able to "get their act together" next season (or any other after that)? It's awfully tough to turn around a losing philosophy once youve been driving down that road as long as the Sabres have been. The stink that permeates this team is going to hang in the air for many seasons to come.

I was thinking about this the other day.  The way the current is being constructed I am not sure they have a losing culture as far as internally.  By that I mean they seem keenly aware of their limitations but are not necessarily negative about it.  Bogosian seems to be a leader and I believe their are other leaders in that room.  This team is mentally stronger than the old one that's for sure.  I think Ted Nolan has helped hold them together as well.  Next year will have a different feel and some of the most important pieces, Reinhart, 2015 1st rounder, Girgensons, don't strike me as the type of players that except losing.

The strong belief that the plan they put in place was the right one and the hope that follows that it will one day bear fruit.  That is all.  There are no guarantees or certainties with tanking or any other road they could have chosen to go down.