The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

There were fans who cheered the loss, fans who booed the inept Sabres and fans who offered the information that they held tickets but refused to attend, probably because they had no interest in cheering or booing. Fans who cheered the loss were critical of the fans who were upset by the lop-sided defeat, and vice versa. Fans who didn't show up mocked those who did.

-Dave Hodge, TSN

Back in my day, a fan used to get banned for not being a fan. Are you saying that rooting for a 20% chance at one player (other player Ovechkin) and rooting against the City Mascots is OK?

next year will be funny because yes I agree the tank will be over - selling off assets for futures but I would think there is still going to be a lot of losing. I think those in Tank Nation are still going to take a lot of abuse from those who are Anti-tankers who think that we think that the turnaround will be immediate.

There may be 1 more high draft pick in 2016 before things truely improve for the Sabres.

Chicago turned around FAST after they completed their tank. They didn't make the playoffs in the first post-tank season, but they posted a winning record. The 2nd post-tank season, they became serious Cup contenders, and have been one of the top teams since.

Thanks to a little girl and her complete ignorance to the politics and all the political correctness that goes with being pro or anti tank, made the game! She waved her little Sabres flag and kept chanting "Lets go Sabres!!". Her Mom tried to stifle her enthusiasm, I believe Mom thought the little girl was getting on the last nerve of those around her. That's when my wife stepped up and asked for her flag, waved it all around the Philly fans and they both yelled "Lets go Sabres!!". She gave the flag back, and told Mom "it would have been way cuter if your little girl did it". Mom smiled as to say thank you, and the little girl when on chanting and waving the flag for the rest of the game. If the Philly fans turned to looked at the little girl, they got the icy stare of death from the section, she became our antithesis of the current fan mood. She was just living the game day fun and enjoying the moment while cheering her team, I could think of no one better to sit by!

:thumbsup:

Chicago turned around FAST after they completed their tank. They didn't make the playoffs in the first post-tank season, but they posted a winning record. The 2nd post-tank season, they became serious Cup contenders, and have been one of the top teams since.

I've done the math, and would feel a little self-aggrandizing for spelling it out here, I know that Chicago had many pieces, and your suggestion is that the Sabres are contenders 2016.2017. Are you happy with that? Are you like, voila!

Yes, silly me for being suspicious of good things happening with regard to Buffalo sports. 35 games left, BTW.

I was probably also one of the first people on this board asking the Sabres to burn it all down and start over with high draft picks. It all evens out.

So you favored an approach you didn't think would work? That's a fascinating way to go about things :P

Thanks to a little girl and her complete ignorance to the politics and all the political correctness that goes with being pro or anti tank, made the game! She waved her little Sabres flag and kept chanting "Lets go Sabres!!". Her Mom tried to stifle her enthusiasm, I believe Mom thought the little girl was getting on the last nerve of those around her. That's when my wife stepped up and asked for her flag, waved it all around the Philly fans and they both yelled "Lets go Sabres!!". She gave the flag back, and told Mom "it would have been way cuter if your little girl did it". Mom smiled as to say thank you, and the little girl when on chanting and waving the flag for the rest of the game. If the Philly fans turned to looked at the little girl, they got the icy stare of death from the section, she became our antithesis of the current fan mood. She was just living the game day fun and enjoying the moment while cheering her team, I could think of no one better to sit by!

Awesome! Not enough joy in Sabres fandom these days.

Sometimes I think my addiction to the board is my version of joining an AA group.

I hope all this is building to an explosion of online cheering come lottery day.

We deserve it.

Awesome! Not enough joy in Sabres fandom these days.

Sometimes I think my addiction to the board is my version of joining an AA group.

I hope all this is building to an explosion of online cheering come lottery day.

We deserve it.

So you are saying that watching the Sabres etc. is self-destructive, which it has been.

Only in the best of times, during Championships, will it be worth it.

Even then you, we, will hold gripes.

Mine eyes have seen the glory, of the coming never mind...

I'm actually enjoying the process. Mostly because I was almost dead inside from watching Regier and his slower than trying to pass a funnel shaped shitt style and getting nowhere fast. I'll say one thing about Darcy. You always knew what you were going to get. Not nearly good enough when it counted but more than willing to do the same thing all over again to get the same result. Anyways , thats all behind me now. I'm over it. Looking forward. Only 35 games to go and we can start building a team. Its frigging exciting thinking about the possibilities. This team will prolly have a two thirds turnover next year. Can't wait.

Murray will have to be making some trades for that big a turnover.

Gionta, Moulson, Myers, Risto, Zads, McCormick, Girgensons, Ennis, Gorges, Weber, Foligno and Hodgson are the veteran guys under contract next year. Pysyk, Larsson, Grigorenko will have to clear waivers.

McEichle and Samson have to be top 6 impact players. Risto and Zadarov have to be legit top 4 defenders. At least 4 other prospects must be everyday NHL players. That is 8. Myers, Pysyk, Gorges, Ennis, Moulson, Girgs makes it 14. How Murray fills out the other 7 will be the deciding factor IMO. Whether by trade or FA he will have to be creative.

This is not turning around simply with prospects and future draft picks.

Paging chz, freeman, and SDS: Can we get a Pomminstein-style filter for this spelling?

I've done the math, and would feel a little self-aggrandizing for spelling it out here, I know that Chicago had many pieces, and your suggestion is that the Sabres are contenders 2016.2017. Are you happy with that? Are you like, voila!

We'd have to look at Chicago's roster in the final tank season, and see what changes were made in the off season; ie, how many pieces did they already have signed, and how many were added.

I'm not sure how we would compare. Obviously there are only a handful of players on the current Sabres roster that are reasonably part of a competitive future.

Wait a minute a print journalist advocating tanking??!!!

The horror of it all.

http://www.newsobser...rely.html?&rh=1

In other words, as the All-Star Break arrives, the Canes are dangerously close to going on the kind of winning run that would doom the franchise to another five years of mediocrity.

Guaranteed doom! For 5 years!

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/01/20/4490610_decock-canes-recent-success-merely.html?&rh=1#storylink=cpy

I took a few minutes to compare the roster of the 2006-7 Blackhawks to the 2007-08 team. In yellow are the changes - nearly 1/2 the roster changed in the off season. The most notable additions were Kane and Toews.

Hopefully we see major changes like this for 2015-16 in the Sabres roster, perhaps even more sweeping changes?

Blackhawks 2007-08 roster.htm

Thanks for reopening this topic.

I took another look at the Blackhawk roster changes from their final tank season to the start of their winning ways. There were 22 players pruned from the roster in the 2007 offseason These cut players had, in 2006-07, the final "tank" year, combined for 95 goals and 251 points

The 'Hawks added 20 new players for the 2007-08 season. These players combined for 93 goals, but for 271 points.

So there was a net loss of 2 goals, but an increase in 20 points, for the roster changes.

The cut players averaged 4.3 goals over the season, and 11.4 points

The added players averaged 4.7 goals over the season, and 13.6 points

Doesn't seem 'night and day' to me, but it is an improvement. Can 20 player points make the difference between a winning and losing season?

Edited by Jsixspd

I'm actually enjoying the process. Mostly because I was almost dead inside from watching Regier and his slower than trying to pass a funnel shaped shitt style and getting nowhere fast. I'll say one thing about Darcy. You always knew what you were going to get. Not nearly good enough when it counted but more than willing to do the same thing all over again to get the same result. Anyways , thats all behind me now. I'm over it. Looking forward. Only 35 games to go and we can start building a team. Its frigging exciting thinking about the possibilities. This team will prolly have a two thirds turnover next year. Can't wait.

Pretty much how I feel, except watching the games, are really hard. I like viewing the progress though at the lower levels more. 35 more games until this nightmare of a downhill spiral will be over. It would be nice to see Strachan sent down and Pysyk up for the rest of the season.

Pretty much how I feel, except watching the games, are really hard. I like viewing the progress though at the lower levels more. 35 more games until this nightmare of a downhill spiral will be over. It would be nice to see Strachan sent down and Pysyk up for the rest of the season.

No thanks. We've come this far. I don't want to improve our d at this point.

Thanks for reopening this topic.

I took another look at the Blackhawk roster changes from their final tank season to the start of their winning ways. There were 22 players pruned from the roster in the 2007 offseason These cut players had, in 2006-07, the final "tank" year, combined for 95 goals and 251 points

The 'Hawks added 20 new players for the 2007-08 season. These players combined for 93 goals, but for 271 points.

So there was a net loss of 2 goals, but an increase in 20 points, for the roster changes.

The cut players averaged 4.3 goals over the season, and 11.4 points

The added players averaged 4.7 goals over the season, and 13.6 points

Doesn't seem 'night and day' to me, but it is an improvement. Can 20 player points make the difference between a winning and losing season?

I looked a little deeper - at the carry over players (23 of them) from the Blackhawks' 2007 to 2008 roster

The difference is a bit more significant

2007 - those players combined for 100 goals and 268 player points.

2008, those same players combined for 141 goals, and 356 points. That's an aggregate improvement of 41 goals, and 88 points!

So the net change across the roster was an increase of 39 goals scored, and 108 player point increase.

I will have to look to see how many games were played by the carry-over players. But an increase of 40 goals and 108 points would definitely increase a team's wins.