The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

next year will be funny because yes I agree the tank will be over - selling off assets for futures but I would think there is still going to be a lot of losing. I think those in Tank Nation are still going to take a lot of abuse from those who are Anti-tankers who think that we think that the turnaround will be immediate.

There may be 1 more high draft pick in 2016 before things truely improve for the Sabres.

Lockout year was a too little, too late half assed tanking effort. Doesn't count in my book.

We traded away Leopold, Regehr, and Pominville. The Tank started at the trade deadline that season.

Edited by SwampD

We traded away Leopold, Regehr, and Pominville. The Tank started at the trade deadline that season.

As we've now seen, tanking is a season long effort requiring full CHL commitment from the get go for any hope of success. They did try with the deadline moves in the lockout year, but like I said it was half assed.

Am I the only one who feels like its been going on since DB and CD left? It seems like a blur and I can't even differentiate the seasons, let alone games. No matter how good they played, it never recaptured the magic of those two seasons.

Like LGRM said, no matter when you start it, it has 36 games left and hopefully the excitement of going to a game returns.

Am I the only one who feels like its been going on since DB and CD left? It seems like a blur and I can't even differentiate the seasons, let alone games. No matter how good they played, it never recaptured the magic of those two seasons.

Like LGRM said, no matter when you start it, it has 36 games left and hopefully the excitement of going to a game returns.

Really depends on how you conceive of tanking--simply being bad or trying to be bad. The team has gradually bled talent since then, so you could look at it that way. But I don't think it was done with the intention of getting worse for higher picks until Pominville was traded for futures. That's the line of demarcation for me.

Really depends on how you conceive of tanking--simply being bad or trying to be bad. The team has gradually bled talent since then, so you could look at it that way. But I don't think it was done with the intention of getting worse for higher picks until Pominville was traded for futures. That's the line of demarcation for me.

Yep.

Half assed. The Sabres clearly were shooting for MacKinnon that year but didn't do enough roster manipulation to achieve the goal.

Darcy, not surprisingly, just stuck his toes into the tanking waters that year and we were rewarded with yet another heroic run to 10th place. If GMTM was in charge then I'm sure he would have dove in head first and blown it all right to hell.

next year will be funny because yes I agree the tank will be over - selling off assets for futures but I would think there is still going to be a lot of losing. I think those in Tank Nation are still going to take a lot of abuse from those who are Anti-tankers who think that we think that the turnaround will be immediate.

There may be 1 more high draft pick in 2016 before things truely improve for the Sabres.

I have a bad feeling that by this time next year we will be firing up the CHL thread. Yhe blatant tanking will be over and trying to improve will be our goal. However, this team has far too many holes and youth to make any drastic jump in the standings next year.

Unfortunately, the 2015-2016 draft thread will be very popular as well.

I have a bad feeling that by this time next year we will be firing up the CHL thread. Yhe blatant tanking will be over and trying to improve will be our goal. However, this team has far too many holes and youth to make any drastic jump in the standings next year.

I am pretty sure even the most ardent pro tankers are done after this season.

I expect a better overall effort on a nightly basis and probably a finish somewhere between 8-12.

I agree with this. I wasn't really saying that the tank started then. I was just saying that I don't care what you call it, the last few years have been brutal and hopefully it is over in 36 games.

Awwwwwh, I hope those mean old anti-tankers don't give you too hard of a time. Clearly they don't have the mental capacity to comprehend that a young team next year even with McEichel might have some growing pains.

With McEichel I could see a lineup about halfway into the season as:

Moulson/McEichel/???

Ennis/Reinhart/Armia

???/Girgensons/Gionta

Foligno/???/Deslauriers

I keep staring at this, trying to wrap my head around its potential. I think you might have to slot Grigorenko in that 4th line, or maybe the third line wing. I can't see him going anywhere until possibly the trade deadline.

Armia is really the only unknown variable for me (aside from the obvious). Those ??? slots are highly critical to how this team rolls next season. I mean, rebuild-pace critical. It will be an interesting off-season, fer shure.

(In my best Darth Benedict voice)

Why resist? The glorious stench of the Carrion calls. Embrace your fate.

No matter what happens, next year won't be like this year. Next year the top three draft picks are all lottery. So you could finish 30th and draft 4th overall. Fans will have far less incentive to cheer against their team.

The draft threads will still be popular because draft threads are ALWAYS popular. The draft nerds (like me) love to pretend we know what we're talking about.

No matter what happens, next year won't be like this year. Next year the top three draft picks are all lottery. So you could finish 30th and draft 4th overall. Fans will have far less incentive to cheer against their team.

The draft threads will still be popular because draft threads are ALWAYS popular. The draft nerds (like me) love to pretend we know what we're talking about.

I certainly know what I'm talking about too. Except for the new lottery. And next years picks. And my middle name, I barely use it.

I certainly know what I'm talking about too. Except for the new lottery. And next years picks. And my middle name, I barely use it.

Actually, despite the fact that I know absolutely nothing, I do want the Sabres to bring me into the draft room just to veto potential picks. The three 2nd round picks from the past two years that I didn't like all still look terrible: Connor Hurley, Eric Cornel, and Vaclav Karabacek.

Sabres won't need to change anything else about their scouting and drafting strategy; they'll just need to add a "Wait, let's run this one by Rob" layer at the end.

I'll clear my schedule for draft weekend.

Actually, despite the fact that I know absolutely nothing, I do want the Sabres to bring me into the draft room just to veto potential picks. The three 2nd round picks from the past two years that I didn't like all still look terrible: Connor Hurley, Eric Cornel, and Vaclav Karabacek.

Sabres won't need to change anything else about their scouting and drafting strategy; they'll just need to add a "Wait, let's run this one by Rob" layer at the end.

I'll clear my schedule for draft weekend.

Rob in the draft room with a veto. Okay. I'm good with that. Make sure you are online that day. I want input.

Bah! Somebody who had no faith in this team's tank should not be able to veto draft picks resulting from said tank.

Yes, silly me for being suspicious of good things happening with regard to Buffalo sports. 35 games left, BTW.

I was probably also one of the first people on this board asking the Sabres to burn it all down and start over with high draft picks. It all evens out.

There were fans who cheered the loss, fans who booed the inept Sabres and fans who offered the information that they held tickets but refused to attend, probably because they had no interest in cheering or booing. Fans who cheered the loss were critical of the fans who were upset by the lop-sided defeat, and vice versa. Fans who didn't show up mocked those who did.

-Dave Hodge, TSN

Thanks to a little girl and her complete ignorance to the politics and all the political correctness that goes with being pro or anti tank, made the game! She waved her little Sabres flag and kept chanting "Lets go Sabres!!". Her Mom tried to stifle her enthusiasm, I believe Mom thought the little girl was getting on the last nerve of those around her. That's when my wife stepped up and asked for her flag, waved it all around the Philly fans and they both yelled "Lets go Sabres!!". She gave the flag back, and told Mom "it would have been way cuter if your little girl did it". Mom smiled as to say thank you, and the little girl when on chanting and waving the flag for the rest of the game. If the Philly fans turned to looked at the little girl, they got the icy stare of death from the section, she became our antithesis of the current fan mood. She was just living the game day fun and enjoying the moment while cheering her team, I could think of no one better to sit by!