Islanders Watch - Tank Commander II

X. Benedict

I hate to give credence to conspiracy theories. That said, I think Toronto is a dark horse candidate for a bottom-5 finish.

I'm more fearful that Filly will end up there.

But if TO doesn't come out of the gate quickly like they normally do, their traditional late season swoon might make them uncatchable.

The best example to point at each time conspiracy theories pop up for the NHL:

The New York Rangers were tied for the highest odds of winning the lottery for Sydney Crosby. Where did he wind up? Pittsburgh.

And it saved the franchise of a Favorite Son...

The best example to point at each time conspiracy theories pop up for the NHL:

The New York Rangers were tied for the highest odds of winning the lottery for Sydney Crosby. Where did he wind up? Pittsburgh.

And he saved a storied and failing franchise. I am not saying it will happen but Toronto is definitely in the running for a lottery pick.

As for the Islanders, they have improved their forwards since last year. Strome, Grabovski and even Kulemin give them some strong options for that 2nd line going forward. Now they are marginally still a craptastrophe on defense but also added better GT. All an all I think it will be a net gain for the Islanders and we are looking at a team 11-15 range. They could conceivably sneak into the playoffs or they could be mediocre again. Hard to say but they remind of the the 2011-2013 Sabres. Adding some UFA talent while letting some others go hoping to hit the magical chemistry jackpot.

Is there any way the NHL could conduct the lottery without arousing suspicion? I'm serious. Would cloistered nuns using their bingo ball cage be enough to satisfy people?

I'd like to see the lottery painstakingly broadcast live. Like, here's each team's allotment of balls. Here's them going into the spinner. Here's each ball selection. Give me video proof.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but I really believe the last-season-in-Nassau factor will be significant. The atmosphere in the building will range between dead and hostile, with plenty of support most nights for the opponents. I think you're looking at a good 10%-20% point reduction based on that factor alone (relative to how they would do in a normal home arena).

The atmosphere you describe in Nassau Coliseum is exactly the same as it has been or the past 10 years. I don't see how it could get any worse (hostile might be an upgrade over the total indifference I normally see there). If anything, it may get better depending on how many nostalgic Islander fans out there.

Theories aside, say buffalo lands between 5 - 10, and the isles' pick is somewhere 11 - 20, would two #1s be enough to get the first pick, or an overpayment?

Save the facepalm and head-shaking icons, I'm no draft pick expert. Just asking an honest question. Personally, I would think two #1s in those ranges would also require an additional pick the following year and maybe even a prospect. Am I way off base?

I'd like to see the lottery painstakingly broadcast live. Like, here's each team's allotment of balls. Here's them going into the spinner. Here's each ball selection. Give me video proof.

Yeah i always wonder why that needs to be behind closed doors .

Theories aside, say buffalo lands between 5 - 10, and the isles' pick is somewhere 11 - 20, would two #1s be enough to get the first pick, or an overpayment?

Save the facepalm and head-shaking icons, I'm no draft pick expert. Just asking an honest question. Personally, I would think two #1s in those ranges would also require an additional pick the following year and maybe even a prospect. Am I way off base?

Yeah, but no one is letting go of Mcdavid.

You couldn't trade the #2 pick + #3 pick to get up to #1 next year.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but I really believe the last-season-in-Nassau factor will be significant. The atmosphere in the building will range between dead and hostile, with plenty of support most nights for the opponents. I think you're looking at a good 10%-20% point reduction based on that factor alone (relative to how they would do in a normal home arena).

The atmosphere you describe in Nassau Coliseum is exactly the same as it has been or the past 10 years. I don't see how it could get any worse (hostile might be an upgrade over the total indifference I normally see there). If anything, it may get better depending on how many nostalgic Islander fans out there.

Can't see how a team's last year in a historic venue would damage the fans' atmosphere at the games; I feel like if anything it might help them a little. Can't say I'm not hoping you're right though nfreeman

Have we forgotten about Carolina for the McDavid sweepstakes? Haven't done anything in FA yet, and if the rumors are right then and they're shopping Ward and Staal, they will easily be a bottom 5 team next year.

I'd trade the next 3 entire drafts for #1 next year, and the team that had it would still say no. Short of kidnapping the GM's family, there is zero chance a team trades #1.

And it saved the franchise of a Favorite Son...

That versus putting the face of your league for the next 15 years in the top market in North America and possibly the world? There is no comparison. Anyone who would seriously argue that a conspiracy wanted him in Pittsburgh over New York, well let's just say I have multiple bridges I'd like to sell to that person. It's nothing more than trying to create a justification in hindsight. Then again, that's pretty much what conspiracy theories are.

I wouldn't believe it anyway after the job they did faking the moon landing back in '69. :ph34r:

yeah. nothing gets by you, man.

My hockey IQ sucks, I just watch the games. My participation on the forum is (rightly) limited to comic relief.

Is there any way the NHL could conduct the lottery without arousing suspicion? I'm serious. Would cloistered nuns using their bingo ball cage be enough to satisfy people?

I'm still not happy with St. Philomena's Riding Lawnmower raffle. The Bachmeyers have won that thing 3 times in 12 years now.

After reading through this entire thread, I'm really starting to wonder if some of the people here even watch the NHL or now what's going on. Pretty sad actually.

I didn't know Cory had a brother.

I'm not allowed to call anyone that went to Canisius by their first name.

After reading through this entire thread, I'm really starting to wonder if some of the people here even watch the NHL or now what's going on. Pretty sad actually.

So, what's your take?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.