Islanders Watch - Tank Commander II

X. Benedict

I cannot wait to see what this board looks like when Snow gets the boot after this season and Darcy is the new GM :w00t:

Y'know, if the team hasn't been sold by then, DR is a real possibility.

After reading through this entire thread, I'm really starting to wonder if some of the people here even watch the NHL or now what's going on. Pretty sad actually.

What is the point of this post?

My hockey IQ sucks, I just watch the games. My participation on the forum is (rightly) limited to comic relief.

fair enough.

for my money, there's not much comedy to be mined in calling out clearly inadvertent misspellings of players' names, especially where readers would understand who's being referenced despite the misspelling. but, to each their own.

Because if that isn't behind closed doors then they can't show 14, 13, 12, ... They can show 1 only.

Ive always wondered what will happen if say the 13 team won the draft. When they count down and 13 ends up being the team who finished 12 there's no more drama to know who holds the top pick.

Anyone considering Toronto's ability to somehow worm their way to the bottom 5 and surprise surprise land the next crosby in the hockey hub of the universe that is desperate for a superstar?

I don't think anything is beyond their ability and the nhl's meddling to have that happen.

I just have a serious ill feeling some nasty sheeite is gonna go down between now and the end of next june.

Funny you say that, its the first time in my life im hoping the Leafs make the play-offs and get swept in 4 games. I want them no where near the NHL lottery next year.

With the Islanders, I don't see them out of the bottom 5 if not challenging Buffalo for the top pick. They over paid both former Leafs as noone else would go there. Its a lot to ask Strome and Reinhart to make a significant impact this coming season - though I do believe both will be solid NHL players.

Ive always wondered what will happen if say the 13 team won the draft. When they count down and 13 ends up being the team who finished 12 there's no more drama to know who holds the top pick.

Unless St. Louis somehow ends up w/ that pick, I hope we don't find out this next lottery.

From the league's standpoint, at least it's 1 more envelope opened than showing it the other way.

Funny you say that, its the first time in my life im hoping the Leafs make the play-offs and get swept in 4 games. I want them no where near the NHL lottery next year.

With the Islanders, I don't see them out of the bottom 5 if not challenging Buffalo for the top pick. They over paid both former Leafs as noone else would go there. Its a lot to ask Strome and Reinhart to make a significant impact this coming season - though I do believe both will be solid NHL players.

Loafs, Phlyers, B's, Otters, Canes, Stars, Rags, Pens, Caps are the teams I'd definitely like to see out of the lottery. Pretty sure I could add a couple of more teams from the east, but then the math doesn't work. :)

Hopefully the champ comes out of the west this year. ;)

Every year there are a couple of teams who make huge upward/downward swings in the standings. The rest finish more-or-less in the same place (+/- a few spots). Personally, I don't see how enough has changed on the Island to view them as "substantially improved." Halak is good, but not great. And, he has no defense in front of him. They lost 1st line left wing scoring in Moulson/Vanek, but added some scoring depth with Grabovsky and Kulemin. Strome should get better with experience. I'll assume Tavares has no lingering injury issues and he scores a ton... otherwise, why should they be a lot better?

...I don't think they'll be dead last, but they stand a good chance of being a lottery team.

Unless St. Louis somehow ends up w/ that pick, I hope we don't find out this next lottery.

From the league's standpoint, at least it's 1 more envelope opened than showing it the other way.

It would make sense to start at 5 or so, but I don't know how you fill up the rest of the time. Starting at 5, if the #4 team is announced that means someone made a big jump forward and people get excited because they don't know who and won't until it's announced. Of course, if they put more spots in play in the future it'll be more exciting with this format.

That versus putting the face of your league for the next 15 years in the top market in North America and possibly the world? There is no comparison. Anyone who would seriously argue that a conspiracy wanted him in Pittsburgh over New York, well let's just say I have multiple bridges I'd like to sell to that person. It's nothing more than trying to create a justification in hindsight. Then again, that's pretty much what conspiracy theories are.

Can't you just play along one time?

It would make sense to start at 5 or so, but I don't know how you fill up the rest of the time. Starting at 5, if the #4 team is announced that means someone made a big jump forward and people get excited because they don't know who and won't until it's announced. Of course, if they put more spots in play in the future it'll be more exciting with this format.

And if 5 ends up 5 (as the (old) odds suggest it will) they've just killed all the 'suspense' for teams 6-14.

After reading through this entire thread, I'm really starting to wonder if some of the people here even watch the NHL or now what's going on. Pretty sad actually.

Actually from what I've read on Sabrespace the people that post here are some of the most knowledgable hockey fans I've never met. I learn something new almost every time I stop in. I've played and watched hockey most of my life but every days a new day to learn something and this is the place to get it as far as I'm concerned.

Guest Sloth

If the Sabres and the Isles finish with the two worst records in the league... and we win the lottery.... we get both McDavid and Eichel! :P

Non-Sabres fans would cry fraud if that happened. I'd love it! Buffalo would be beyond scary good.

In my opinion, Islanders are a bottom 5 team. Not many teams got significantly worse this off-season, by that I mean fall to the bottom of the standings worse. However some of the bottom dwellers have taken quality steps in the right direction.

Florida Panthers made a few, not so big name signings and appear to be poised to crawl from the bottom 5. In my mind they filled a few gaps this year and will be a 6-10 team.

Edmonton Oilers have finally addressed some needs, look for them to make a push for the playoffs this year, yes I believe there time had come.

Carolina Hurricanes are a 6-10 team right now but may be unloading some quality players so a potential bottom fiver could be in the making.

Vancouver Canucks will be competing for a playoff spot this year and will not be a bottom 5 team by any means.

Calgary Flames have taken a step in the right direction, I think the last will be close to the bottom again this year.

Winnipeg Jets are a bubble team, there name does not belong in a conversation about who the Isles will finish ahead of.

Nashville predators could be taken down a few pegs from where they finished last year, I don't follow them too much So I could be wrong.

The point I'm trying to make here is the Isles don't have a very balanced roster, they have terrible possession numbers and did little to address any needs they had going into free agency. That's being said Reinhart and Strome could have a positive impact as soon as this year. I'm quite comfortable in saying that they will finish bottom 5 unless one of them has a Calder trophy year, and even then.

P. S

I wrote this on my phone so please save me the grief of pointing out spelling mistakes, I'm sure there are many

In my opinion, Islanders are a bottom 5 team. Not many teams got significantly worse this off-season, by that I mean fall to the bottom of the standings worse. However some of the bottom dwellers have taken quality steps in the right direction.

Florida Panthers made a few, not so big name signings and appear to be poised to crawl from the bottom 5. In my mind they filled a few gaps this year and will be a 6-10 team.

Edmonton Oilers have finally addressed some needs, look for them to make a push for the playoffs this year, yes I believe there time had come.

Carolina Hurricanes are a 6-10 team right now but may be unloading some quality players so a potential bottom fiver could be in the making.

Vancouver Canucks will be competing for a playoff spot this year and will not be a bottom 5 team by any means.

Calgary Flames have taken a step in the right direction, I think the last will be close to the bottom again this year.

Winnipeg Jets are a bubble team, there name does not belong in a conversation about who the Isles will finish ahead of.

Nashville predators could be taken down a few pegs from where they finished last year, I don't follow them too much So I could be wrong.

The point I'm trying to make here is the Isles don't have a very balanced roster, they have terrible possession numbers and did little to address any needs they had going into free agency. That's being said Reinhart and Strome could have a positive impact as soon as this year. I'm quite comfortable in saying that they will finish bottom 5 unless one of them has a Calder trophy year, and even then.

P. S

I wrote this on my phone so please save me the grief of pointing out spelling mistakes, I'm sure there are many

My Bottom five

If Carolina unloads Stahl(s), I think that is a pretty clear statement they are in the McDavid derby.

Ottawa trading Spezza was a clear indicator that they will be competing as well.

The Isles are right there with their blue line

If the Sabres leave Reinhart in the minors and keep the other kids there too, they are competing for McDavid

The Coyotes are dropping forwards to get into the Derby

My Bubble Teams bottom five

Calgary

Edmonton

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.