Islanders Watch - Tank Commander II

X. Benedict

In my opinion, Islanders are a bottom 5 team. Not many teams got significantly worse this off-season, by that I mean fall to the bottom of the standings worse. However some of the bottom dwellers have taken quality steps in the right direction.

Florida Panthers made a few, not so big name signings and appear to be poised to crawl from the bottom 5. In my mind they filled a few gaps this year and will be a 6-10 team.

Edmonton Oilers have finally addressed some needs, look for them to make a push for the playoffs this year, yes I believe there time had come.

Carolina Hurricanes are a 6-10 team right now but may be unloading some quality players so a potential bottom fiver could be in the making.

Vancouver Canucks will be competing for a playoff spot this year and will not be a bottom 5 team by any means.

Calgary Flames have taken a step in the right direction, I think the last will be close to the bottom again this year.

Winnipeg Jets are a bubble team, there name does not belong in a conversation about who the Isles will finish ahead of.

Nashville predators could be taken down a few pegs from where they finished last year, I don't follow them too much So I could be wrong.

The point I'm trying to make here is the Isles don't have a very balanced roster, they have terrible possession numbers and did little to address any needs they had going into free agency. That's being said Reinhart and Strome could have a positive impact as soon as this year. I'm quite comfortable in saying that they will finish bottom 5 unless one of them has a Calder trophy year, and even then.

P. S

I wrote this on my phone so please save me the grief of pointing out spelling mistakes, I'm sure there are many

Enjoyed this.

In my opinion, Islanders are a bottom 5 team. Not many teams got significantly worse this off-season, by that I mean fall to the bottom of the standings worse. However some of the bottom dwellers have taken quality steps in the right direction.

Florida Panthers made a few, not so big name signings and appear to be poised to crawl from the bottom 5. In my mind they filled a few gaps this year and will be a 6-10 team.

Edmonton Oilers have finally addressed some needs, look for them to make a push for the playoffs this year, yes I believe there time had come.

Carolina Hurricanes are a 6-10 team right now but may be unloading some quality players so a potential bottom fiver could be in the making.

Vancouver Canucks will be competing for a playoff spot this year and will not be a bottom 5 team by any means.

Calgary Flames have taken a step in the right direction, I think the last will be close to the bottom again this year.

Winnipeg Jets are a bubble team, there name does not belong in a conversation about who the Isles will finish ahead of.

Nashville predators could be taken down a few pegs from where they finished last year, I don't follow them too much So I could be wrong.

The point I'm trying to make here is the Isles don't have a very balanced roster, they have terrible possession numbers and did little to address any needs they had going into free agency. That's being said Reinhart and Strome could have a positive impact as soon as this year. I'm quite comfortable in saying that they will finish bottom 5 unless one of them has a Calder trophy year, and even then.

P. S

I wrote this on my phone so please save me the grief of pointing out spelling mistakes, I'm sure there are many

Good analysis.

I've been a Preds season ticket holder for the last 5 years and I'm probably less optimistic about this year's Preds team than in any prior year. I think the departed Barry Trotz is a better coach than Peter Laviolette. And, the team hasn't done a lot other than trade Hornqvist and Spaling for James Neal. Hornqvist is a really underrated player who is likely to score more goals than Neal did in Pittsburgh. Horny plays a "go to the net and get tips and rebounds" sort of game. Not unlike what Moulson does. The one thing that could save the Preds this year is the return of Pekka Rinne in net (he was out pretty much all last year). Probably the only worse team than the Preds in the (loaded) central division is Winnipeg. I think they have a shot at finishing dead last.

The central is so loaded (Blues, Stars, Wild, Hawks, Avs) that the Preds and Jets will lose a lot of divisional games due to strength of competition.

You still grumpy? You're too young to be like this!

Being a Buffalo sports fan in the 90s aged me prematurely. :(

I'm actually pretty happy. The last 8 days have been exciting. Although it's funny how so many fans can be both ecstatic about the Sabres' moves and still confident we'll finish 30th in the league. I doubt we will do that twice in a row, but I'm not convinced McDavid or Eichel is a requirement for us to be contenders in a couple years.

Being a Buffalo sports fan in the 90s aged me prematurely. :(

I'm actually pretty happy. The last 8 days have been exciting. Although it's funny how so many fans can be both ecstatic about the Sabres' moves and still confident we'll finish 30th in the league. I doubt we will do that twice in a row, but I'm not convinced McDavid or Eichel is a requirement for us to be contenders in a couple years.

my gut tells me that Buffalo tanked one season to early. Relying on the Isles is a fool's mission.

my gut tells me that Buffalo tanked one season to early. Relying on the Isles is a fool's mission.

I agree as I feel the Coyotes might be in the running for 1st overall and with Darcy there it might be just our luck they land him. Plus think about it u don't think the NHL wouldn't mind helping out a teams struggling fan base! Something to think about

Good analysis.

I've been a Preds season ticket holder for the last 5 years and I'm probably less optimistic about this year's Preds team than in any prior year. I think the departed Barry Trotz is a better coach than Peter Laviolette. And, the team hasn't done a lot other than trade Hornqvist and Spaling for James Neal. Hornqvist is a really underrated player who is likely to score more goals than Neal did in Pittsburgh. Horny plays a "go to the net and get tips and rebounds" sort of game. Not unlike what Moulson does. The one thing that could save the Preds this year is the return of Pekka Rinne in net (he was out pretty much all last year). Probably the only worse team than the Preds in the (loaded) central division is Winnipeg. I think they have a shot at finishing dead last.

The central is so loaded (Blues, Stars, Wild, Hawks, Avs) that the Preds and Jets will lose a lot of divisional games due to strength of competition.

Valid points you made! I actually live nearby Winnipeg and only catch a couple games a year I watch as many as I can on TV. While you make a good point that they are in a but if not the toughest division, I think that they are too good to finish last. I'm expecting really good years from Schifele and Trouba, hopefully Kane can learn to play a team game too. Pavelec is a shaky goalie at the best of times but I think they will be out of the bottom 5.

Edited by Naulter8

I'd like to see the lottery painstakingly broadcast live. Like, here's each team's allotment of balls. Here's them going into the spinner. Here's each ball selection. Give me video proof.

There's really no reason not to. That could be a half-hour show in itself.

There's really no reason not to. That could be a half-hour show in itself.

If they wanted to get crazy with it, it could be primetime the night before the draft. I'd certainly tune in.

There isn't enough movement to really upset the apple cart, in the Sabres case this year it was #1 or #2.

Edited by Darryl Shannon's +/-

Note: there is only one ball selected.

Yes, but d4rk wants to see each team's allotment of balls added to the mix. Break for commercial, interview a couple of GMs, and there's your half hour.

If they wanted to get crazy with it, it could be primetime the night before the draft. I'd certainly tune in.

There isn't enough movement to really upset the apple cart, in the Sabres case this year it was #1 or #2.

That doesn't give teams enough time to make decisions or trades, though. Remember, there's only one winner. Everyone else has some thinking and/or moving to do.

Edited by Eleven

Yes, but d4rk wants to see each team's allotment of balls added to the mix. Break for commercial, interview a couple of GMs, and there's your half hour.

That doesn't give teams enough time to make decisions or trades, though. Remember, there's only one winner. Everyone else has some thinking and/or moving to do.

You got it. I want to see the process leading up to the selection.

You got it. I want to see the process leading up to the selection.

Start at the first team that missed the playoffs, show everyone their balls, clips of the season, some expert analysis of draft needs, then dump the balls in the hopper and move on the the next team?

Love it.

Start at the first team that missed the playoffs, show everyone their balls, clips of the season, some expert analysis of draft needs, then dump the balls in the hopper and move on the the next team?

Love it.

I mean, if people watch poker on tv this can't be any less entertaining, right?

Trading for the rights to talk to Dan Boyle for a couple of days before everyone else could talk to him too - was Garth really stupid enough to think that would work? Personally I chalk it up to desperation - was the evidence they're looking to upgrade the D. The reality is so far they've only been able to bring in 1 Sabres reject.

I expect other GM's will smell the desperation over the phone and am hoping that any trade he manages to make is for a 6 or a 7 (at best for anyone else) and weakens the current forwards. Here's to keeping fingers crossed.

Trading for the rights to talk to Dan Boyle for a couple of days before everyone else could talk to him too - was Garth really stupid enough to think that would work? Personally I chalk it up to desperation - was the evidence they're looking to upgrade the D. The reality is so far they've only been able to bring in 1 Sabres reject.

I expect other GM's will smell the desperation over the phone and am hoping that any trade he manages to make is for a 6 or a 7 (at best for anyone else) and weakens the current forwards. Here's to keeping fingers crossed.

Chris Butler is available.

Islanders Blue/White scrimmage from the 2014 developement camp is availabe on their website. Ho-Sang has a good game but probably not ready to contribute this season. pretty sure Reinhart is going to step into their line-up though

Reinhart is going to be in the Isle's lineup? Interesting.........

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.