Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

I remember the feature the Sabres PR team did on the guy, just before the wheels really came off. He just seemed so done with hockey. No desire to play the game. He even told some weird story about how his Mom sort of forced him to stick with the game, even when his interests lay elsewhere.

Just because you're naturally gifted at something does not mean you're going to want to do it for the long haul.

I got this impression too, I stopped making jokes at his expense after I saw that interview. 

I heard the same thing about Paille while he was in Buffalo, he was one of those kids who continued with hockey because he was talented as a kid with it, but his heart want always into it and he continued just because it was expected of him. There are many in the league who go through this.

So you're saying they don't like their jobs but do it anyways because they're expected to? Just like so many other people. Unlike others, though, they're making millions doing what they hate.

So you're saying they don't like their jobs but do it anyways because they're expected to? Just like so many other people. Unlike others, though, they're making millions doing what they hate.

Most people are not so good at something it would feel like a waste if they didn't do it. That's the key. It isn't about doing a job you hate because you can't think of something better or don't have the capital to leave. It's the fact you have the freedom to do whatever you want, but to quit would be to give up millions as well as your best ability. Hard to justify that to oneself/peers/family, especially when your parents sacrificed so much of their lives to pay for equipment or drive you to practice/games.

Was that in a Beyond the Blue and Gold, or is it a random interview? I want to try and find it

Just after the 1 minute mark. Says sport was always top for him, but to play piano he had to go to hockey practice. Music is clearly the guys hobby, but i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't uncommon for hockey players to like hockey but not LOVE it

Just after the 1 minute mark. Says sport was always top for him, but to play piano he had to go to hockey practice. Music is clearly the guys hobby, but i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't uncommon for hockey players to like hockey but not LOVE it

Other way around.  He said he wasn't allowed to go to hockey practice until he practiced his piano.

Other way around.  He said he wasn't allowed to go to hockey practice until he practiced his piano.

That's not what I'm hearing, although I realize English isn't his first language and he might be expressing things in some sort of reverse manner.

Oh, man. I can hear the ambiguity now. I think what he says is: "I always love sports. That was my number one always . . .  {Edited break} But I played piano, and the only way to get to practice was to go -- piano lessons -- was to go play hockey. So, my Mom made me."

I heard him saying that, per his Mom, he stayed with hockey so that he could practice his piano.

The balance of the profile -- his clear devotion to music and the arts -- makes that understanding seem more accurate.

Oh, that and the fact that his play suggested a disaffection with the game.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Most people are not so good at something it would feel like a waste if they didn't do it. That's the key. It isn't about doing a job you hate because you can't think of something better or don't have the capital to leave. It's the fact you have the freedom to do whatever you want, but to quit would be to give up millions as well as your best ability. Hard to justify that to oneself/peers/family, especially when your parents sacrificed so much of their lives to pay for equipment or drive you to practice/games.

Thanks for finding this.

Oh, man. I can hear the ambiguity now. I think what he says is: "I always love sports. That was my number one always . . .  {Edited break} But I played piano, and the only way to get to practice was to go -- piano lessons -- was to go play hockey. So, my Mom made me."

I heard him saying that, per his Mom, he stayed with hockey so that he could practice his piano.

The balance of the profile -- his clear devotion to music and the arts -- makes that understanding seem more accurate.

Oh, that and the fact that his play suggested a disaffection with the game.

That's what I heard, too.  It is, at the very least, susceptible of multiple interpretations.

Edited by Eleven

I'm not sure if its been discussed previously and I apologize if it has but apparently a Dallas radio show had seguin and Benn on yesterday and they were asked about the Sedins. Showing their maturity both waxed poetic about the twins rooming together on the road and they joked about the top bunk bottom bunk sleeping arrangement. They then got into some homophobic suggestions of what might be going on between the brothers. You would think the league would have a better handle on this stuff since they espouse an anti bullying stance for public consumption and for the little kids etc. that follow the league and look up to their star players. Vancouver sports talk 1040 went on about it today interviewing people in the game from around the league who all disagreed with the content of the discussion and the lack of good sense by the Dallas players.

I'm not sure if its been discussed previously and I apologize if it has but apparently a Dallas radio show had seguin and Benn on yesterday and they were asked about the Sedins. Showing their maturity both waxed poetic about the twins rooming together on the road and they joked about the top bunk bottom bunk sleeping arrangement. They then got into some homophobic suggestions of what might be going on between the brothers. You would think the league would have a better handle on this stuff since they espouse an anti bullying stance for public consumption and for the little kids etc. that follow the league and look up to their star players. Vancouver sports talk 1040 went on about it today interviewing people in the game from around the league who all disagreed with the content of the discussion and the lack of good sense by the Dallas players.

I heard the same thing about Paille while he was in Buffalo, he was one of those kids who continued with hockey because he was talented as a kid with it, but his heart want always into it and he continued just because it was expected of him. There are many in the league who go through this.

I have wondered if Hodgson is going through this. He's been Canada's golden boy his entire hockey life, with the textbook bad hockey dad.

This is why Tyler Seguin is not a Boston Bruin

Anybody else catch the Erik Cole (?) interview on NHL network during post game of Stars-Boston game? Said the players are having fun, playing in a great system. Good for Lindy, hope he is having fun. But dam you, why Dallas, I just can't bring myself around for cheering Dallas anything.

Edited by Woods-Racer

I have wondered if Hodgson is going through this. He's been Canada's golden boy his entire hockey life, with the textbook bad hockey dad.

This is why Tyler Seguin is not a Boston Bruin

While the content described is incredibly stupid, I doubt that this is why Tyler Seguin is not a Boston Bruin.

While the content described is incredibly stupid, I doubt that this is why Tyler Seguin is not a Boston Bruin.

The lack of character it illustrates is certainly a part of why. Relevant stuff starts around 5-minute mark.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/9/10/4716102/tyler-seguin-boston-bruins-show-behind-the-b-dallas-stars-loui-eriksson-trade

Edited by dudacek

The lack of character it illustrates is certainly a part of why. Relevant stuff starts around 5-minute mark.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/9/10/4716102/tyler-seguin-boston-bruins-show-behind-the-b-dallas-stars-loui-eriksson-trade

1/3 of Boston's Stanley Cup winning roster would have been jettisoned if character was important to that organization.

Shanahan and Nonis receive a notice from Toronto's ownership to undergo the Sabre's form of a rebuild, telling them to "scorch the earth and redo everything...taking 3-4 years. "-Hockey Central'

So, looks like the winner of next years CHL/Austin Mathews is Toronto, at least we don't have to worry about McDavid wanting to go to the Laughs seeing as they'll have their own franchise center (Joke...this is a joke)

Short Term, looks like Phaneuf and Kessel will both be traded in the summer, and Nonis will probably be fired.

Shanahan and Nonis receive a notice from Toronto's ownership to undergo the Sabre's form of a rebuild, telling them to "scorch the earth and redo everything...taking 3-4 years. "-Hockey Central'

So, looks like the winner of next years CHL/Austin Mathews is Toronto, at least we don't have to worry about McDavid wanting to go to the Laughs seeing as they'll have their own franchise center (Joke...this is a joke)

Short Term, looks like Phaneuf and Kessel will both be traded in the summer, and Nonis will probably be fired.

How many pieces of the rebuild will have to get shipped out to get somebody to take Phaneuf and his contract off their hands?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.