Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Dom was unquestionably the best for a few years, but career-wise, I'll take Brodeur.

Don't forget, Dom couldn't get out of Czechoslovakia until he was 25. He was named the best goalie in the world's 3rd best league 5 straight years and their equivalent of the Hart Trophy winner 3 times.

IMO Brodeur was the best goalie of this era (1980 onward), with Roy 2nd and Dom 3rd.

All he did was win.  He was fantastic from day 1 for almost half his life.

You are out of your mind.  

In the history of the world, it's either Tretiak or Hasek.

In the NHL, it's Hasek.

You are out of your mind.  

In the history of the world, it's either Tretiak or Hasek.

In the NHL, it's Hasek.

I don't buy it.  Hasek was a flash in the pan compared to Brodeur.  21 NHL seasons, 691 wins, 125 shutouts, 17 playoffs, and oh yeah, by the way 3 cups, not to mention 2 gold medals.  Hasek won individual awards for a few years, but Brodeur was a vital part of a successful team for 2 decades.  Brodeur was also the best puck-handling goalie ever, and as a result oponents had to change the way they approached entering the offensive zone, lest Brodeur end up with a shutout and 3 assists.  This allowed New Jersey to perfect the neutral zone trap.  He wasn't just one of the greatest goalies ever, he was practically a 3rd defenseman.  The trapezoids behind the nets only happened because of Brodeur.

Look, I know Dom was untouchable for a few years, but when you look at it objectively from a historical perspective, Brodeur had a far better career and far bigger impact on the game itself.

I don't buy it.  Hasek was a flash in the pan compared to Brodeur.  21 NHL seasons, 691 wins, 125 shutouts, 17 playoffs, and oh yeah, by the way 3 cups, not to mention 2 gold medals.  Hasek won individual awards for a few years, but Brodeur was a vital part of a successful team for 2 decades.  Brodeur was also the best puck-handling goalie ever, and as a result oponents had to change the way they approached entering the offensive zone, lest Brodeur end up with a shutout and 3 assists.  This allowed New Jersey to perfect the neutral zone trap.  He wasn't just one of the greatest goalies ever, he was practically a 3rd defenseman.  The trapezoids behind the nets only happened because of Brodeur.

Look, I know Dom was untouchable for a few years, but when you look at it objectively from a historical perspective, Brodeur had a far better career and far bigger impact on the game itself.

Brodeur didn't have to wait for a wall to come down in order to play in the NHL. 

A lot of numbers here, and you manage to exclude the one that truly matters: career save percentage. Brodeur is at .912 while Hasek is .922--that's a massive difference. Additionally, Hasek's sv% was consistently much higher above the league average than Brodeur's. Hasek was also the first goaltender in decades to win the Hart, and he won two, as compared to Brodeur's zero. Brodeur is an all-time great and his longevity needs to be respected, but he never had to carry a team the way Hasek did. Wins, Cups, shutouts...those are all team stats and a poor way to rank goaltenders. Below is a really good breakdown of the debate:

http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/2009/03/brodeur-roy-and-hasek-debate-rages-on.html

http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/2008/10/save-percentage-vs-league-average.html

A lot of numbers here, and you manage to exclude the one that truly matters: career save percentage. Brodeur is at .912 while Hasek is .922--that's a massive difference. Additionally, Hasek's sv% was consistently much higher above the league average than Brodeur's. Hasek was also the first goaltender in decades to win the Hart, and he won two, as compared to Brodeur's zero. Brodeur is an all-time great and his longevity needs to be respected, but he never had to carry a team the way Hasek did. Wins, Cups, shutouts...those are all team stats and a poor way to rank goaltenders. Below is a really good breakdown of the debate:

http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/2009/03/brodeur-roy-and-hasek-debate-rages-on.html

http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/2008/10/save-percentage-vs-league-average.html

It reminds me of the Pedro Martinez talk in baseball.  He may not have had as long of a career as other guys, but many people will say that Pedro at his peak was the most dominant pitcher that ever lived.

It reminds me of the Pedro Martinez talk in baseball.  He may not have had as long of a career as other guys, but many people will say that Pedro at his peak was the most dominant pitcher that ever lived.

As Jim Rome used to say, he's the baddest 165 lbs man on the planet

I think we'd be remiss to not say that MB played in one of the most prolific defensive systems professional sports has ever seen. His team didn't even try to play offense.

By that standard, having to change the rules to neutralize one player, Rob Ray is in the conversation for best forward in history. ;)

I still hate the trapezoid. Every time I watch a game from back in the day I'm entertained by goalies coming way out to play the puck. The trapezoid is awful. Awful Awful Awful. And if Brodeur really is to blame for it, then he can suck a lemon. 

I still hate the trapezoid. Every time I watch a game from back in the day I'm entertained by goalies coming way out to play the puck. The trapezoid is awful. Awful Awful Awful. And if Brodeur really is to blame for it, then he can suck a lemon. 

I really enjoyed the goalie playing the puck as well, but the best was probably the way Dom Hasek would come full bore out to prevent a breakaway. It was like a train wreck in the slot. Now that was hockey!

It does suck. Why the heck did they make it bigger? Just GET RID OF IT.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.