Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Not even the most ardent tank supporters wants help sucking for five more years.

Exactly. This wouldn't help the current tank but that's not even why I don't want it. He's a bad long-term move. By the time the playoffs matter he will be more of a nobody and cost a shitload. No thanks. I don't even understand how somebody could want this other than "oh I saw him on TV during the playoffs he must still be great!"

The Kings are likely clearing cap space for someone... they need defense help in the worst way.

They have to be praying somebody picks him up, because simply stashing him in the AHL probably isn't enough cap savings to add a significant defender. 

But what the hell, may as well have some fun with it: FIRE UP THE TYLER MYERS TRADE RUMOR MACHINE!!!  :ph34r:

I wouldn;t mind picking Richards up. We will have the space for a few more years and then we can just buy him out and because of recapture penalties we would get more cap space that way (as his salary is less than his contract). Win Win.

Not to mention, in 5 years the cap will probably be 80+, so he won't be chewing up too much of it. 

He has never performed that well in LA, compared to Philly (points-wise). Maybe a change would work

Edited by ThirtyEight

Why would you? What is the point in that move? If we waive him how do we have any clue that somebody else will claim him? We're the first in line so we couldn't know for certain, and if he's terrible here too there would likely be less teams in line. No.

They all make waiver claims at the same time. So in that scenario where multiple teams make claims, they would know which other teams put in a claim. But yeah, making the claim once doesn't guarantee they'd make one again later.

Edit: I get the feeling that this will be one of those cases where he clears and then someone winds up working out a trade where they can dump a little money back on LA in exchange for Richards.

Edited by shrader

Link for the Richards story:

http://www.tsn.ca/kings-place-c-richards-on-waivers-1.191995

A member of Cup-winning teams with the Kings in both 2012 and last season, Richards is in the seventh year of a 12-year deal that comes with an annual cap hit of $5.75 million per season. He's being paid $7 million this season, with $6 million, $5.5 million, $4.5 million, $3 million and $3 million in each year.
Edited by biodork

Does the cap penalty transfer to us if he retires as a Sabre, or does it still screw LA?

I'm not really that interested.  Maybe I would be if his contract were 2-3 years.  Or if his cap hit were less than $4M or so.

Being in 30th place, we also get first crack, correct?

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I hope GMTM is smart enough not to think like this.

How so?

You have to factor projected growth into long-term deals. With the American economy just picking back up fairly nicely, and because of the amount of trade between Canada and USA, that will pick up the Canadian economy over the next year or so. The cap has generally gone up $4-6 million per year, so even with the cap eventually hitting some plateau setting an estimate at $2 million a year with an improving economy seems like a fairly restrained guess

Does the cap penalty transfer to us if he retires as a Sabre, or does it still screw LA?

I'm not really that interested.  Maybe I would be if his contract were 2-3 years.  Or if his cap hit were less than $4M or so.

Being in 30th place, we also get first crack, correct?

It screws Philly and LA, and yes we get first refusal. Richards cap hit with LA (including this year) was 23 mil and he earnt 29.6 mil (6.6mil excess). With Philly he earnt 17.4 mil and his cap hit was 17.25

Edited by ThirtyEight

How so?

You have to factor projected growth into long-term deals. With the American economy just picking back up fairly nicely, and because of the amount of trade between Canada and USA, that will pick up the Canadian economy over the next year or so. The cap has generally gone up $4-6 million per year, so even with the cap eventually hitting some plateau setting an estimate at $2 million a year with an improving economy seems like a fairly restrained guess

Maybe factor it into long-term deals of key players, sure. But you can't rely on it to excuse bad moves now. That's how you end up in cap hell.

And what economy is improving? The Canadian dollar has a bigger impact on the cap than the U.S. dollar and the dollar above the border isn't doing so hot...

Edited by Tank

Maybe factor it into long-term deals of key players, sure. But you can't rely on it to excuse bad moves now. That's how you end up in cap hell.

And what economy is improving? The Canadian dollar has a bigger impact on the cap than the U.S. dollar and the dollar above the border isn't doing so hot...

Risk-Reward. The fact is Richards has been an assistant captain to a team that has won a cup in 2/3 years he has been there. The American economy is improving. Over the next year that will mean it can buy more stuff from Canada, and as the USA-Canada trade a ton of stuff that will make a large impact on Canada's economy, helping to pick it up. I.e. things might not look too hot north of the border atm, but in a few years they will. 

Dion Phaneuf is oddly not at Leafs practice today.

No clue where to put this since we've never had a Sabres practice thread but:

Zemgus, Zadorov and Neuvirth all missing from practice.

Zemgus for obvious reasons.

Gorges & Deslauriers collide at the boards. Gorges shaken up, teammates help him to the bench. #Sabres

Edited by Tank

Dion Phaneuf is oddly not at Leafs practice today.

No clue where to put this since we've never had a Sabres practice thread but:

Zemgus, Zadorov and Neuvirth all missing from practice.

Zemgus for obvious reasons.

I wonder if Zadorov went to visit family and can't get back because of the weather? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.