Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

It's looking very much like the Sabres/Pens game will indeed have great meaning to the Pens, so this is a good thing for us wanting 30th place. But how sweet would it be if Buffalo has it locked up before then, and could potentially knock Pittsburgh out of the playoffs on the last day!!! 

What'd he do?

I can't find a clip of it, but there was a delayed penalty on the Pens, Kunitz finally touches the puck right at the Flyers blue line, and one-times it at the Flyers empty net just for shits and giggles; there was also a few Flyers players near the net. He misses, then just skates away like nothing happened. Scrum ensues, and Giroux is the only one who gets a minor for roughing/ 

I can't find a clip of it, but there was a delayed penalty on the Pens, Kunitz finally touches the puck right at the Flyers blue line, and one-times it at the Flyers empty net just for shits and giggles; there was also a few Flyers players near the net. He misses, then just skates away like nothing happened. Scrum ensues, and Giroux is the only one who gets a minor for roughing/

Ah, thanks. Pittsburgh is not a good hockey team.

Ah, thanks. Pittsburgh is not a good hockey team.

It's shocking how mediocre they are (tons of injury problems this year, but that has really just exacerbated their problems, not really caused them). Other than drafting Crosby and Malkin, I can't think of a single thing that organization has done particularly well. Hitching their wagon to Fleury (who has a good year, but still), inability to draft and develop basically any real help for their stud centers, poor trades (two 2nds for Douglas Murray as a deadline deal...good lord), Dan Bylsma...just bad decisions. They're the antithesis of how I want the Sabres to be run.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

It's shocking how mediocre they are (tons of injury problems this year, but that has really just exacerbated their problems, not really caused them). Other than drafting Crosby and Malkin, I can't think of a single thing that organization has done particularly well. Hitching their wagon to Fleury (who has a good year, but still), inability to draft and develop basically any real help for their stud centers, poor trades (two 2nds for Douglas Murray as a deadline deal...good lord), Dan Bylsma...just bad decisions. They're the antithesis of how I want the Sabres to be run.

That Despres trade was brutal.

It's like they're irrationally in "win now" mode. I mean it means sense on the one hand because you should always be a contender with Crosby and Malkin, but it seems to be propelling them to make bad trades regularly. Meanwhile, if they just a bit more patient, not only could they capitalize on Crosby and Malkin...but they could do it long-term, rather than on a year-by-year basis.

Boston, Detroit and Pittsburgh all have 95 points and have played 79 games.

IF Ottawa can win today (against the leafs) they will have 94 points in 79 games.

They also have a game against Pittsburgh coming up. Interesting times.

The race in the Eastern is fantastic.  It really is.

EDIT:  Filly looked like they were playing for their lives today, even with nothing to play for.  They just hate the Penguins that much.

Edited by Eleven

I just watched it ten times. I can't see the net moving. So either there was a huge gash in the net and the puck found it perfectly. Or it went wide. Or I watched it on my phone at 3am and I'm not seeing what I think I'm seeing.

It made no sense to me.  It was a downright steal for Anaheim both in cap hit and talent returning.  Just baffling that Rutherford would make that deal.  I know he has two or three associate general manager's under him, but man that was an epic fail move. 

Not sure he's an idiot.  He used the NHL's poor officiating to his team's advantage.  He negated a power play for the Flyers and got Voracek to sit for ten minutes.

My thoughts exactly. So, now not only after a big hit do you have to fight, but when someone shoots the puck at your net?

How fragile are these guys egos?

With that said, Kunitz still has a face made for punching.

With that said, Kunitz still has a face made for punching.

He really does though.

I just realized he's 35 turning 36 in September; his goal total is down from 35 to 17, his lowest total and first non-20-goal season since 2009 when he only played 50 games. He's a UFA after next season, it will almost certainly be his last in a Pens uniform.

Besides Kunitz's struggles, the entire Pens teams with the exception of Hornqvist, Malkin, Crosby, and Letang aren't producing any offense. Though it should be mentioned Sutter is having a solid year at 19 goals, and 31 points, career highs (1 assist off for points). Pitt could have a really interesting offseason this year. 

Edited by WildComrade

I think they could..as technically anything that happened after that , if it was good, did not happen right?

They could, and they should (assuming they have undisputable video evidence), but it's the NHL, will they?

Would this be the first time in North American sports, that a major sport has reversed a game winner with a replay days after the completion of the game?

If the NHL is looking at the replay, I'm going to assume that they are willing to reverse the call, or else why bother reviewing it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.