Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

:P

Jokers.

I'll admit i've never seen him play. That said Weber has nearly 300 games to Biega's 1 and Biega didn't see the NHL till he was 26. I'm suspicious of him being decent

Fair suspicion.  I'm here to tell you, having seen him play a bunch in ROC for two years, he's better than Weber at preventing the other team from scoring. Of course they aren't the same type of player.  But it's interesting to see, same draft year, same team, etc, and to look at their careers to date.  Weber breaks through as a stay-at-home and hangs on for dear life, but Biega, being a little undersized and without elite speed, gets his window closed by true elite talent like Pysyk or Risto and becomes career AHL.  Yeah that story is probably a dime a dozen across the league, but B was a favorite while here in ROC.

Why do refs not call gratuitous cross-checks like the one Kunitz gave to OV's gut WELL after the whistle?

This is what leads to unnecessary fights, as it did in that game.

I really thought that the slash JR and Milbury are going off about looked like OV was trying to hit the puck. I thought it was a good no call.

I really thought that the slash JR and Milbury are going off about looked like OV was trying to hit the puck. I thought it was a good no call.

That doesn't really address the issue though.  Game after game, we see a cross-check well after a whistle.  If refs start calling those, there will be less of a need for retaliation.

OMG!  Redwings going against Blackhawks, tied 2-2 going into overtime.

But if you consider is from the point of a "smart" Buffalo fan, here in Hockey Heaven, one of these teams are in hockey hell.  It's just a race towards mediocrity.

Can't win by losing, good teams!

Ha!

The rest of the NHL is pitying you.

These Oilers shootouts are so nerve racking.  They had 9 different players shooting with the game on their stick before one finally scored.  It was just like the one against the Sharks (except the one round in that game where both teams scored.)  Two big points, though.

yup our lead is increasing :D

Whoever said the letang slash exposes the pens like the miller hit is right on.. No way pens beat the laughing ovi anytime this year or in playoffs . Two guys cross checking him while he laughs.. Wow .

Most teams have exposed the Pens at some point. All you need to do is get under their skin just a little bit and then they feel the need to prove they are tough.......... only to find out they're not while self-destructing in the playoffs. That slash was terrible on Ovie's part, but the Pens three times within a minute after that just couldn't contain themselves. It's highly entertaining to watch them implode, they'll just never learn that opposing teams just need to rattle their cage. The Flyers and Islanders do it to them on a regular basis, I can't wait to watch another 1st round exit. 

One of the last things any NHL team team that considers themselves a Stanley Cup contender wants to see is the LA Kings on a 7-3 run holding down the final playoff spot with games in hand. The road to the Stanley Cup gets much harder.

With even hotter Minnesota nipping at their heals. This may very well be the year where it finally catches up to LA. There's a lot of traffic around those last 4 spots in the west. It should be very interesting to watch that down the stretch. I'd imagine that Calgary and Vancouver are the most likely to drop out, but we will see. The trade deadline should be very active out west.

why are some games worth 3 points and others only 2 ??

To keep more teams in the playoff race longer.  It makes it so that it doesn't cost anything to win a minute or two later (OT vs. end of regulation), but it does cost something to lose a minute or two earlier.  So, teams will lock a game down late if it's tied to ensure that they get at least a point. Edmonton was on their heals for the whole third period just playing defense to try and get at least one point.

Why is a strike bad in baseball but good in bowwwlinnngg?

never quite latched onto the comedy here, since a strike is only bad in baseball for 50% of the players involved, while the rest probably appreciate it.

or did they mean a work stoppage?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.