Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

How many pieces of the rebuild will have to get shipped out to get somebody to take Phaneuf and his contract off their hands?

At least it's front loaded...kind of. Goes from $8 mil/year to $5.5 mil/year by 2020, or a $500k annual decrease. Still, a $7 mil/year cap hit for him is absurd, I have no idea how they try and unload that. Kessel's even worse, at a cap hit of $8 mil/year and $54 million still owed to him until 2023  :sick:

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/TOR?expand=true&year=2015

They're going to get fleeced on any trade they have involving those players, but ownership sounds determined to rid the ship of the old crew.

blahblahblahblahmurmurmurmurmurmurmurblahblahblah

All I heard was Leafs will suck for longer and in their brilliance they are going to start doing it in the year the top 3 picks in the draft are lottery picks.

I believe this story will earn it's rightful place in the Comedy Hall of Fame as no one outside of Toronto will be able to stop Laffing.

Shanahan and Nonis receive a notice from Toronto's ownership to undergo the Sabre's form of a rebuild, telling them to "scorch the earth and redo everything...taking 3-4 years. "-Hockey Central'

So, looks like the winner of next years CHL/Austin Mathews is Toronto, at least we don't have to worry about McDavid wanting to go to the Laughs seeing as they'll have their own franchise center (Joke...this is a joke)

Short Term, looks like Phaneuf and Kessel will both be traded in the summer, and Nonis will probably be fired.

They're late to the McEichel dance, but they could bring it pretty hard.  Best case scenario: we end up with McEichel and we get to watch the Leafs burn for a few years as we rise out of the hole like the child of Ra's al Ghul.

Worst case scenario: the lottery's fixed and Toronto gets McDavid even before they really start tanking.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Is he good? Any comparison to another player that jumps in your mind? I've known that name for years but know nothing about the player, and don't recall ever noticing him in a game.

Not really. He's pretty quick and tough to get off the puck, I think he's listed around 5'10" 210#. He can be really good when he wants to. Dineen questioned his toughness a while back and really didn't want him around. Well, Bergenheim lasted ad Dineen didn't. Now him and his agent are pissed that he's been getting benched and Gallant has been publicly defending himself by saying Bergenheim will crack the lineup when he decides to play. His upside, he comes up big in the playoffs. You probably remember his name from the 2010-11 playoffs with Tampa, he finished tied for 4th in goals while playing 6-9 games less than everybody else near the top. He also led the Panthers with 6 points in the series against the Devils in 2012. He can probably be had for cheap, might be a good low risk pick-up for a team looking for some playoff spark. 

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-10-18/sports/fl-florida-panthers-news-1019-20131018_1_sean-bergenheim-kevin-dineen-scott-clemmensen

Not really. He's pretty quick and tough to get off the puck, I think he's listed around 5'10" 210#. He can be really good when he wants to. Dineen questioned his toughness a while back and really didn't want him around. Well, Bergenheim lasted ad Dineen didn't. Now him and his agent are pissed that he's been getting benched and Gallant has been publicly defending himself by saying Bergenheim will crack the lineup when he decides to play. His upside, he comes up big in the playoffs. You probably remember his name from the 2010-11 playoffs with Tampa, he finished tied for 4th in goals while playing 6-9 games less than everybody else near the top. He also led the Panthers with 6 points in the series against the Devils in 2012. He can probably be had for cheap, might be a good low risk pick-up for a team looking for some playoff spark. 

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-10-18/sports/fl-florida-panthers-news-1019-20131018_1_sean-bergenheim-kevin-dineen-scott-clemmensen

Ahhh yes I do remember that run with Tampa. Thanks for the info.

Seguin and Eaves leaving the game with injuries within one minute of each other. Kulikov went for a hip check and got Seguin on the knee on his planted leg, didn't look good. Then Eaves gets hit in the side of the head with a puck. He was on the ice for 5 minutes and had to be carried of by a couple of his teammates. He definitely looked concussed.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-it-seguin-leaves-ice-after-low-bridge-hit/

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.