6/12/14 - WGR Staff Interviews Tim Murray

26CornerBlitz

The maximum salary for an NLL player with the franchise tag is $34,000. If Pegula spent that amount every hour, eight hours a day, every day, until he lived to be 100 years old, he still wouldn't have spent all of his money.

So maybe they had that conversation once. "Wait, you're telling me I just spent two and a half orders of magnitude more money on Ville Leino than on the one of the best lacrosse players and beloved Buffalo sports figures of all time? Never stop paying that guy. Then when he retires, pay him some more. Pay all of friends whatever too."

... And the Bills with Ralph Wilson pretty much out of the picture the last few years. If — and it's a huge if — the Bills franchise is on an uptick, who's to say it's not because the owner was no longer as involved/as meddling?

In what way are the Bills on an uptick?

"If Leino is a great player, it's because of the coaching he got from Rolston."

... And the Bills with Ralph Wilson pretty much out of the picture the last few years. If — and it's a huge if — the Bills franchise is on an uptick, who's to say it's not because the owner was no longer as involved/as meddling?

Here's the thing: Wilson meddling was well known, not an Internet poster's crusade ;)

In what way are the Bills on an uptick?

"If Leino is a great player, it's because of the coaching he got from Rolston."

The Bills are always on the uptick when there are no games to actually play. How else does a significant portion of the fan base fool themselves into thinking this is the year they make the playoffs despite the decade and a half of futility? We fool ourselves into believing that a couple of free agent pick ups and draft picks have improved the team by leaps and bounds and ignore the fact that the rest of the league also had the same ability to improve their clubs.

It's certainly possible. Maybe I can even find an example. How about the Bandits? Terry owns them, no? Does he involve himself in player personnel decisions? Strategic decisions about the direction of the franchise? I highly doubt it. Does Steve Dietrich huddle with Terry to talk about the future of John Tavares? I highly doubt it.

The Bandits?! Dude.

(And I take that exasperated tone with all due respect to those who enjoy those games.)

I'm pretty sure: The scenario you imagine is not one that has ever existed, nor will it.

PAngloss out.

:w00t:

The Bandits?! Dude.

(And I take that exasperated tone with all due respect to those who enjoy those games.)

I'm pretty sure: The scenario you imagine is not one that has ever existed, nor will it.

:w00t:

Pegula called them the Bisons when he bought them. That should say it all.

Why can't we get an indoor soccer team back here? How much could that possibly cost? You can convert a rink in Harbor Center for practice just as easily. It might actually be a good business move.

I will say that, with GMTM able to proceed with the buyout as he stated, my confidence in the Sabres' team leadership moved a few notches upward.

And this buyout couldn't have been too easy to swallow. It would rankle the snot out of me to have to pay someone so much money for a six year vacation. I'd be tempted to keep him on the payroll just to fetch equipment from the back or top up my coffee, if I were owner.

I will say that, with GMTM able to proceed with the buyout as he stated, my confidence in the Sabres' team leadership moved a few notches upward.

And this buyout couldn't have been too easy to swallow. It would rankle the snot out of me to have to pay someone so much money for a six year vacation. I'd be tempted to keep him on the payroll just to fetch equipment from the back or top up my coffee, if I were owner.

Assign him to the ECHL.

So... if terry being TMs boss should not have meetings and wield power over decisions... does that mean the head amatuer scout makes the call on draft picks? How about the head pro scout on free agent signings? I mean after all TM hired them or kept them to do a job and he should back off and let them do it right! Right?

Right? ###### Yeah!

Here's the thing: Wilson meddling was well known, not an Internet poster's crusade ;)

Didn't you ever wonder why several GMs gave Murray that advice about dealing with Pegula? Pegula's meddling is also well known — everywhere except in here, I sometimes think.

Edited by PASabreFan

Didn't you ever wonder why several GMs gave Murray that advice about dealing with Pegula? Pegula's meddling is also well known — everywhere except in here, I sometimes think.

That wasn't about Pegula. That was about every GM giving him a universal truth. The reason Murray said was probably because it was his reason for cutting Lafontaine out of a mediated dialogue with the owner.

Can I see the link you are referencing/

I'm not referencing a link.

That wasn't about Pegula. That was about every GM giving him a universal truth. The reason Murray said was probably because it was his reason for cutting Lafontaine out of a mediated dialogue with the owner.

Yeah, sure. How many other universal truths did they feel the need to share? All woman are psychos? A done bun can't be undone? You can't go home again? You can't pop an English muffin and make it land in the other slot?

Yeah, sure. How many other universal truths did they feel the need to share? All woman are psychos? A done bun can't be undone? You can't go home again? You can't pop an English muffin and make it land in the other slot?

He said it the day after Lafontaine left. Do the math. Every GM talks to the owner. Murray was going to get it right from the start.

He wasn't going to report to Patty.

He said it the day after Lafontaine left. Do the math. Every GM talks to the owner. Murray was going to get it right from the start.

He wasn't going to report to Patty.

We've done the math.....

Pegula is batsh!t crazy and likes to pet the bunny.

Anyone willing to give me even money on Battista being on stage at the draft for the Sabres' first pick?

Not possible to see the links between the synapses without a microscopic brain scan. :rolleyes:

Are you saying I imagined that Murray said it?

We've done the math.....

Pegula is batsh!t crazy and likes to pet the bunny.

Anyone willing to give me even money on Battista being on stage at the draft for the Sabres' first pick?

The choreography is always intriguing. I heard that Ted Black is going to blow a tranquilizer dart into Lloyd Bentsen's neck from stage right, then rush in during the commotion and stand next to Terry for the money shot.

Can I see the link you are referencing/
He said it the day after Lafontaine left. Do the math. Every GM talks to the owner. Murray was going to get it right from the start. He wasn't going to report to Patty.
Are you saying I imagined that Murray said it?

I'd say you're putting a stank and a spin on what GM TM said to suit your narrative.

We need a transcript of that interview.

My recollection of what GM TM said was that several other GMs impressed on him the importance of maintaining a free and open line of communication with the owner. Not a free and open line of communication with that P.I.A. meddlesome nincompoop Pegula (as you believe all other GMs know him to be (seriously)), but with owners in general.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.