6/12/14 - WGR Staff Interviews Tim Murray

26CornerBlitz

The GoDD riffs on GM TM's sartorial stylings are very amusing.

I really like that this guy appears to give zero fukcs about anything other than building a great hockey club.

I'm also not kidding when I worry just a bit about him -- his (heart) health, specifically. He's early 50s, workaholic, who travels a lot and probably has a fairly crap diet. He doesn't appear overly heavy, though. So he's got that going for him.

It doesn't seem like he has more than an ounce of sentiment in him. I can't see him getting overly attached to player A or B. I like that he wants internal competition and to get rid of a mentality that any particular player is safe here in their career.

I'm enjoying his tenure so far. He's funny too.

The GoDD riffs on GM TM's sartorial stylings are very amusing.

I really like that this guy appears to give zero fukcs about anything other than building a great hockey club.

I'm also not kidding when I worry just a bit about him -- his (heart) health, specifically. He's early 50s, workaholic, who travels a lot and probably has a fairly crap diet. He doesn't appear overly heavy, though. So he's got that going for him.

OTOH I believe studies have shown that weight is not a good predictor of heart disease. That is, thin people aren't immune. Now I'm really talking out my hat. There is a link though to the study. I'll find it. (No, I won't.)

It doesn't seem like he has more than an ounce of sentiment in him. I can't see him getting overly attached to player A or B. I like that he wants internal competition and to get rid of a mentality that any particular player is safe here in their career.

I'm enjoying his tenure so far. He's funny too.

He *is* funny. The call on lack of sentimentality is spot on.

OTOH I believe studies have shown that weight is not a good predictor of heart disease. That is, thin people aren't immune. Now I'm really talking out my hat. There is a link though to the study. I'll find it. (No, I won't.)

Hmm. I'm not so sure. Having that little paunch potbelly? Significant risk factor for an MI. And a guy in his 50s needs to watch it.

My take away from that is he wants size and referred to guys being Buffalo Sabres size. In talking of Ennis I think he likes enough to sign him long term. But if Tyler doesn't want a long term deal he can say goodbye.

I have nothing bad to say about Tim's appearance. He looks better than me! But I will say he may want to get that Gerd checked out!

I am so glad to have Tim Murray as our GM.

Facilities meddling? Ted Black must be furious.

There is a PissRoomBeerShelf joke here somewhere.

I tease about Murray, but I love it. I am a total Sipowicz myself. I also agree that I hope he stays healthy. A few decades on the road with Timmy Ho's and Slim Jims can catch up to you.....but I firmly believe if he is left alone, he can do in 5 years what Darcy couldn't do in 200.

Nice head of hair on that Sipowicz - I liked Sipowicz. A guy that probably bowls his best game when he's really pissed off.

Oh, and i just wasted one of my 10 Buffalo News stories on "6-fingered family roots for Brazils 6th World Cup." That would piss off Sipowicz all day.

Edited by X. Benedict

There is a PissRoomBeerShelf joke here somewhere.

Nice head of hair on that Sipowicz - I liked Sipowicz. A guy that probably bowls his best game when he's really pissed off.

Oh, and i just wasted one of my 10 Buffalo News stories on "6-fingered family roots for Brazils 6th World Cup." That would piss off Sipowicz all day.

There's any number of ways to get around the story limit ;)

Pretty good presser. Lots of affirmation there of things we already knew or suspected.

• If Ekblad doesn't go #1 and we don't trade down, we take him. We're taking the best player available.

When was this determined?

The first 30 seconds of the press conference.

Yeah, I'm not buying that exchange as anything definitive. It sounds to me that no matter who drops to them - they want everyone to think they could take anyone remaining.

Yeah, I'm not buying that exchange as anything definitive. It sounds to me that no matter who drops to them - they want everyone to think they could take anyone remaining.

Mike Morreale of NHL.com has said it's a "100% lock" and a "no-brainer" that Buffalo takes Ekblad if he's there at two.

This kind of makes me wonder: has GMTM locked in on Reinhart? About the only scenario of a trade up that doesn't result in Ekblad going number one is maybe Vancouver moving up for Reinhart. Edmonton, Calgary, NYI and Toronto will all go Ekblad for sure and Tallon said he won't go any lower than 8.

Yeah, that's not what I want, but I think that's what would probably happen. That said, I think if Ekblad drops to #2, the consideration of trading goes way up. We have the ability and choice to make Edmonton pay dearly for Ekblad and take (presumably the other) Sam at #3. We'd still get a great player that fits our needs, and possibly some sweet haul (probably another 2nd, maybe some more?).

Can't wait to see how it shakes out. I'm still hoping GMTM can break off a trade to collect another first rounder.

I'm just trying to project the top 4 guys into what they might become. It's not perfect because Ekblad probably has the potential to be more physical than Murphy, and Reinhart might be a more natural goal scorer than Oates, but to me...that is the decision process in looking at them.

You're probably more of a natural goal scorer than Adam Oates. GMs didn't hire Adam Oates to score goals (yes he did have one 45 goal season), they hired him to enable other players to score because he could pass a puck cleanly through a cat's butthole. 1079 assists in 1337 games, 6th all time.

For instance, in '92-'93 with the Bruins, he put up 97 assists. He made 26 year old rookie Dimitri Kvartalnov score 30 goals that season (he played a total of 112 games in the NHL before going to Europe) and Joe Juneau score 32 goals (he would never score more than 15 in any other season). Aside fun fact: the Bruins would finish the season on an 8-0-0 tear, then get swept 4-0 by the Buffalo Sabres. Oates would rack up nine assists in those four games, zero goals.

I'm just trying to project the top 4 guys into what they might become. It's not perfect because Ekblad probably has the potential to be more physical than Murphy, and Reinhart might be a more natural goal scorer than Oates, but to me...that is the decision process in looking at them.

Interesting question. I never thought of comparing Reinhart to Oates, but I can see that.

but I tend to think of Reinhart as a Datsyuk in the way of thinking his way through a game, but a bigger frame and not the same kind of skater.

You're probably more of a natural goal scorer than Adam Oates. GMs didn't hire Adam Oates to score goals (yes he did have one 45 goal season), they hired him to enable other players to score because he could pass a puck cleanly through a cat's butthole. 1079 assists in 1337 games, 6th all time.

For instance, in '92-'93 with the Bruins, he put up 97 assists. He made 26 year old rookie Dimitri Kvartalnov score 30 goals that season (he played a total of 112 games in the NHL before going to Europe) and Joe Juneau score 32 goals (he would never score more than 15 in any other season). Aside fun fact: the Bruins would finish the season on an 8-0-0 tear, then get swept 4-0 by the Buffalo Sabres. Oates would rack up nine assists in those four games, zero goals.

Juneau only scored 15 because Lindy had him playing defense first.... ;)

Gilmour.

But the better Reinhart comparison would be Jacques Lemaire and the better Ekblad comparison is Serge Savard.

I know some of you guys are old enough to appreciate that.

Draisaitl has far more skill and far less edge than Holik.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.