6/12/14 - WGR Staff Interviews Tim Murray

26CornerBlitz

Not sure why I feel the need but there is no proof that he is meddling, just being kept informed.

but clearly the point being made is being informed is beyond the pale and meddling and unforgivable. just cut the check you rich old white man cut the check and shut yo mouth.......

I may have paraphrased the points being made

but clearly the point being made is being informed is beyond the pale and meddling and unforgivable. just cut the check you rich old white man cut the check and shut yo mouth.......

You're coming around! I just want him to behave the way any of us would. I thought he was a fan like we are. I thought he'd pull up in a pickup truck, with his shitkickers on, right out of the oil field, fire Lindy and Darcy and give some marching orders. Money's not an object? Great. Winning the Cup is all that matters. It gave us chills. Keys? These are keys to an 18-wheeler. I don't know how to drive one of those. Here, you hockey guys take the wheel. I'll be in 310. Yes, I was dreaming. Pegula wants his name in the pantheon on owners — Ilitch, Rooney, Kraft. All for the glorification of his massive ego. It's a shame really. We had the perfect situation within our grasp. Too bad Terry was a phony baloney almost from day one.

I'm not sure where the expectation that an owner exercise no oversight role in what he owns comes from, but it is an unrealistic expectation.

When has Pegula ever said he's not going to watch over his investment? Involved ownership is a good thing.

The GM makes every decision with the owner's permission and budget perimeters. Is it really that hard to understand?

Edited by X. Benedict

You're coming around! I just want him to behave the way any of us would. I thought he was a fan like we are. I thought he'd pull up in a pickup truck, with his shitkickers on, right out of the oil field, fire Lindy and Darcy and give some marching orders. Money's not an object? Great. Winning the Cup is all that matters. It gave us chills. Keys? These are keys to an 18-wheeler. I don't know how to drive one of those. Here, you hockey guys take the wheel. I'll be in 310. Yes, I was dreaming. Pegula wants his name in the pantheon on owners — Ilitch, Rooney, Kraft. All for the glorification of his massive ego. It's a shame really. We had the perfect situation within our grasp. Too bad Terry was a phony baloney almost from day one.

Again, speak for yourself. If I were an owner, I wouldn't Jerry Jones it up. However, you better believe I'd be involved to the extent I'd want to know what the plan is, and have it explained how each individual move helps execute that plan (for the significant moves, anyway). I wouldn't just hire an executive and proceed to pretend he's infallible. Under your criteria, I'd be meddling, even if I don't override him a single time.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Nonsense.

I'm not sure where the expectation that an owner exercise no oversight role in what he owns comes from, but it is an unrealistic expectation.

When has Pegula ever said he's not going to watch over his investment? Involved ownership is a good thing.

The GM makes every decision with the owner's permission and budget perimeters. Is it really that hard to understand?

It comes from someone who has no experience in or understanding of private-sector realities.

I quote: The Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win the Stanley Cup. If that's the real credo of the franchise, then it's not about Terry having fun with his toy, or getting into the real estate development business, or growing hockey in the U.S.

There's no reason the franchise shouldn't operate on that strict premise. Yes, it would be near-revolutionary in sports to have an ego-less owner who sits in the stands and does little else.

Clearly, I am delusional. Starting that day, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence was to do lots of things, hopefully win a Stanley Cup, led by Terry Pegula.

So PA no likey Harbor Center?

Weird that someone with your imagination can't see how this can't better the position the hockey side of the organization.

I can think of 4 ways off the top of my head.

1. Combine hosting - (for the DRAFT)

2. thereby exposing an entire generation of free agents to Buffalo as a destination

3. Training facility/ D-camp facility

4. Video and analytic center.

You can't see any symbiosis here? Really? You can't?

Weird that someone with your imagination can't see how this can't better the position the hockey side of the organization.

2. thereby exposing an entire generation of free agents to Buffalo as a destination

How many big time free agents have the Indianapolis Colts signed the past 20 years?..........and the NFL doesn't put you on a bike until you puke....

How many big time free agents have the Indianapolis Colts signed the past 20 years?..........and the NFL doesn't put you on a bike until you puke....

How many have they aggressively pursued? Junior Irsay's briefcase of treats notwithstanding, they aren't the kind of team that throws big contracts at UFAs, innit?

Again, speak for yourself. If I were an owner, I wouldn't Jerry Jones it up. However, you better believe I'd be involved to the extent I'd want to know what the plan is, and have it explained how each individual move helps execute that plan (for the significant moves, anyway). I wouldn't just hire an executive and proceed to pretend he's infallible. Under your criteria, I'd be meddling, even if I don't override him a single time.

Agree with this 100%. The last owner was accused of being absentee and (I think rightly) hurting a team by allowing key components to reach UFA and/or arbitration. Now we are complaining because the owner is investing 100+ million into an area that was ignored for the better part of 25 years and may have pushed to sign Ehrhoff, Leino and trade for Regehr when it appeared the team needed a little push to make noise in the playoffs? Hindsight is always 20/20. I'll continue to preach that I'll always support the owner who appears to be trying to the best of their abilities to help the community and build a winner. The same could not be said about the Bills for the past 15 years.

I know nothing of the Colts. But I think the NFL is so different these days. Very few NFL players choose to root down and make Buffalo a long term home these days. Reuben did.....not sure I can name many others.

I think Pegula has kept his promise to improve everything outside of the roster: buying the Amerks, hiring more scouting, Harbor Center, yes, the locker room too.

I see it as Malcolm Gladwell's tipping point. Continue to do the things that might make Buffalo the right environment, a hockey destination, and maybe, just maybe, things will reach a critical mass and lead to success, and hopefully sustained success.

Not buying it? Well that's fine. But I don't think the guy is sparing expense trying.

The only free agent you might need is one. But creating an infrastructure that can support the team in any number of ways sounds like good practice to me.

I think Pegula has the right GM in Murray, and this will be Murray's roster in a year's time, with Murray's moves, and Murray's trades, and Murray's free agents.

No, the owner has a large oversight role to play. Oversight. Set the mission — and I think Terry did that pretty well. Then, unless you have special expertise to contribute to the accomplishment of that mission, you step back. Way back. But you still oversee. Terry, of course, has to decide when it's time to fire the GM. Even at that, I'd like to see a Scotty Bowman type helping him out with that decision.

This is the ultimate non-story.

Who said there was a story?

As I've said before, I think the Harbor Center is only something like 15% about the Sabres. Sure, it could help with recruiting down the road. But, boy, that's weak sauce if you're relying on that to turn the franchise around. 1 - 3 - 4... you didn't need the HarborCenter for those.

It comes from someone who has no experience in or understanding of private-sector realities.

I think the private sector reality here is that Terry would get fired for his performance if he weren't the owner. There's no high falootin' justification for what he's doing, except that he raped the land, hit the jackpot and is jerking around with our team, one he allegedly is a fan of. It's amateur hour, big time. I take it you think OSP was a great owner too. Bought dirt cheap and sold high. Private sector hero! Greed is good! Innit wonderful?!

I think the private sector reality here is that Terry would get fired for his performance if he weren't the owner. There's no high falootin' justification for what he's doing, except that he raped the land, hit the jackpot and is jerking around with our team, one he allegedly is a fan of. It's amateur hour, big time. I take it you think OSP was a great owner too. Bought dirt cheap and sold high. Private sector hero! Greed is good! Innit wonderful?!

As the Keeper of the Grand Narrative - I expect we'll be hearing about this at every opportunity. Not a little over the top, is it? :lol:

How many have they aggressively pursued? Junior Irsay's briefcase of treats notwithstanding, they aren't the kind of team that throws big contracts at UFAs, innit?

If anyone thinks having a scouting combine here is going to matter when it comes to players....that's crazy. These will be 17 year old kids locked in a hotel for 3 days, and then getting poked and prodded by everyone, asked the same questions about growing up in a 1 parent home and alcoholic father and if that effects their play, biked until they puke......and then, maybe in 8 years when their entry deals and RFA time expires, they are going to look back and say..."That was one hell of a time in a great city!!!"???

I think the reason you see extra scrutiny about some of these things from some posters is because we are led to believe Pegula could take a dump and you could sell it on Ebay for 100K.

The combine is a nice excuse to use the facility for a week if they get it. The teams are going to HATE it. 70% of the scouts and administration are just going to fly into Toronto anyway and take a 3 hour ride and bridge wait on a Blue Bus. Either that or have a 13 hour flight from Calgary through Detroit on a puddle jumper. Then instead of having the choice of 30, 4 and 5 star hotels within 3 miles....you have a Marriott, Hampton Inn, and Adam's Mark.

The league will save money and the Sabres will make money. That's the only reason to be happy.

If anyone thinks having a scouting combine here is going to matter when it comes to players....that's crazy. These will be 17 year old kids locked in a hotel for 3 days, and then getting poked and prodded by everyone, asked the same questions about growing up in a 1 parent home and alcoholic father and if that effects their play, biked until they puke......and then, maybe in 8 years when their entry deals and RFA time expires, they are going to look back and say..."That was one hell of a time in a great city!!!"???

I think the reason you see extra scrutiny about some of these things from some posters is because we are led to believe Pegula could take a dump and you could sell it on Ebay for 100K.

The combine is a nice excuse to use the facility for a week if they get it. The teams are going to HATE it. 70% of the scouts and administration are just going to fly into Toronto anyway and take a 3 hour ride and bridge wait on a Blue Bus. Either that or have a 13 hour flight from Calgary through Detroit on a puddle jumper. Then instead of having the choice of 30, 4 and 5 star hotels within 3 miles....you have a Marriott, Hampton Inn, and Adam's Mark.

The league will save money and the Sabres will make money. That's the only reason to be happy.

I have a funny feeling the combine being as rigorous as it is will be drastically changed in the next 5-10 years. If you are pushing almost every single kid to puke riding the bike, some day there will be a heart issue that pops. And truthfully....I'm not sure how much any of it matters.

I'm disappointed in your use of "innit" right here. Not your best work. Step it up! :)

I beg to differ. As Ali G teaches us, "innit?" isn't a mere abbreviation of "isn't it?" -- it's a substitute for "right?" or, if you prefer, "you feel me?"

You can use it in place of "isn't it?" if you like, but that's just boring -- like a Pommer slapper from above and outside the faceoff circle into the crest on the goalie's jersey. The right usage kinda surprises you -- think Connolly in 2005-06 before Schaefer went all mountain-vs-red-viper on him.

I would say you're missing the point, but I don't think you are. I think you're intentionally talking past it in order to promote your fear-and-loathing-of-the-wealthy agenda.

In other words: obtuse.

I have a funny feeling the combine being as rigorous as it is will be drastically changed in the next 5-10 years. If you are pushing almost every single kid to puke riding the bike, some day there will be a heart issue that pops. And truthfully....I'm not sure how much any of it matters.

A test like that doesn't matter. It's a snapshot in time. You can probably get more info from actual medical scans and tests as to fitness potential. I think it's barbaric myself. I'm much more concerned about balance, fluidity, and frame an physique. Even Bennett not doing a pullup....look at him....can he put on 12-15 lbs of lean mass the next 4 years? Ok...non-issue. If not, then maybe you shy away a little.

I will say that there is one issue where I almost wish Pegula would meddle a little with Murray. I love that Murray is honest and old school, but he is almost too honest. As a fan who wants to hear bare bones talk and appreciates it, it's great. But Murray can have a negative effect on his own players. Just in this GR talk alone...."Myers isn't "the next" guy." Yeah....I've known that from day 1 and admire Murray's vision, but these guys are all not mental warriors. I despise the calculated and delayed stammering from the previous GM, but even in giving honest analysis, you should protect your guys' psyches a little. On the UFAs...."We have no interest. Maybe down the road there could be something." I get it. No world beaters for sure....but what happens when you try and sign guys and you don't get them, and a guy like D'Agostini who busted his hump all season and at least has enough talent to skate in the NHL sees this? Ted Nolan would probably love him back and he'd be a good example of how to do things....but he now knows his GM pretty much sees him as worthless. Maybe you take a 2 way on a contender as the season approaches instead of coming back to Buffalo where you know you aren't valued up top.

Murray can tone it down just a tad. Maybe he can't. It's actually an admirable quality of honesty to me, but I have suffered from it in my business life. When you are too honest and want to give people the best shot, it can actually offend them. A little Pegula love here can actually come in handy.

Man, you are depressing.

I think most people would be proud to show off the city during a great time of year. I like to think Buffalo could hit a home run with this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.