6/12/14 - WGR Staff Interviews Tim Murray

26CornerBlitz

Man, you are depressing.

I think most people would be proud to show off the city during a great time of year. I like to think Buffalo could hit a home run with this.

Show off to who?

The kids are locked down. The scouts want to see the kids and drink booze. The NHL staff wants to get back to Toronto and New York City.

Again....if anyone can find me 1 Indianapolis Colt who said, "I just had such a great time in this city during the combine.....when the offer came in, it felt so right knowing what a football crazed town this is."

Getting the combine is cool. So is getting a Joe's Crab Shack.

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

Good points on Murray's blunt nature.

The guy's a great judge of hockey talent and a breath of fresh air after Darcy.

But he's not exactly a people person, and it could bite him at some point.

This is why we needed Patty as the third spoke of the wheel with Tim and Craig Patrick.

Good points on Murray's blunt nature.

The guy's a great judge of hockey talent and a breath of fresh air after Darcy.

But he's not exactly a people person, and it could bite him at some point.

This is why we needed Patty as the third spoke of the wheel with Tim and Craig Patrick.

Good point.

I don't care what they say about Patty behind closed doors, he is universally respected and is so cool in public. I am still convinced he never told Murray that Patrick was going to be here until the day of the press conference.

Speaking of Patrick, are he and Ken Sawyer playing Internet Canasta? I am not sure he's set foot in Buffalo since that presser....

Good point.

I don't care what they say about Patty behind closed doors, he is universally respected and is so cool in public. I am still convinced he never told Murray that Patrick was going to be here until the day of the press conference.

Speaking of Patrick, are he and Ken Sawyer playing Internet Canasta? I am not sure he's set foot in Buffalo since that presser....

I have heard everything reported the way you say it, but in the back of my mind I still think it's almost impossible to be fired in the time he was unless you are a gigantic problem. It was so early that it's almost impressive in a way.

Show off to who?

The kids are locked down. The scouts want to see the kids and drink booze. The NHL staff wants to get back to Toronto and New York City.

Again....if anyone can find me 1 Indianapolis Colt who said, "I just had such a great time in this city during the combine.....when the offer came in, it felt so right knowing what a football crazed town this is."

Getting the combine is cool. So is getting a Joe's Crab Shack.

I have no idea what goes on in Indy, but bringing in 17-18 year olds is a very different prospect than bringing in 22-23 year old college seniors.

but you really think it would be 5 days of Hell in Buffalo, huh?

I think Buffalo could deliver a top notch professional experience. Most of the kids enjoy the combine as it is, believe it or not.

I have no idea what goes on in Indy, but bringing in 17-18 year olds is a very different prospect than bringing in 22-23 year old college seniors.

but you really think it would be 5 days of Hell in Buffalo, huh?

I think Buffalo could deliver a top notch professional experience. Most of the kids enjoy the combine as it is, believe it or not.

OK....edumicate me..... what is the typical schedule for an NHL combine participant? What do they do outside of trying to achieve the best possible test scores to enhance their professional value?

Did I say it's hell to be in Buffalo? I said the current NHL scouts and staffers won't be jumping for joy having to catch 2 connecting flights each way as opposed to straight into Toronto, where probably 80% have family and friends within 70KM.

I'm saying Buffalo getting the combine is "cute". We got the sled hockey tourney as well. Some people collect a few Monet and Picasso, some collect every Guy Harvey 1st print T-Shirt. To each their own.

OK....edumicate me..... what is the typical schedule for an NHL combine participant? What do they do outside of trying to achieve the best possible test scores to enhance their professional value?

Did I say it's hell to be in Buffalo? I said the current NHL scouts and staffers won't be jumping for joy having to catch 2 connecting flights each way as opposed to straight into Toronto, where probably 80% have family and friends within 70KM.

I'm saying Buffalo getting the combine is "cute". We got the sled hockey tourney as well. Some people collect a few Monet and Picasso, some collect every Guy Harvey 1st print T-Shirt. To each their own.

Excuse me, Suck, don't want to be here, hate, so on - so you didn't say hell exactly, but it sorta read that way. It is hard to point at anything good around here without ending up sounding like A cheerleader. I want things like this for BuffAlo - but maybe it will be a turd. Fine, then. This has the potential to be a greesy, corn-filled turd. There.

GM TM wants to confer with the owner about a multi-million dollar buyout before cutting the check, and the board is revisiting the meddling narrative?

Wake me up when September ends.

Summer in Bobcaygeon ... AWESOME!!

I'll PM you come Labour Day to see how you are doing. Let us know if the Pickerel are biting hard.

No disrespect to anyone, but I am with PA on this.

I do not want the owner involved at all in hockey related decisions.

Now, I do not know for a fact that he is involved, but it appears from what is known that he is.

All I want him to do is sign cheques.

This has nothing to do with Mr. Pegula. I would say the same thing if Mr. Dressup (or anyone else for that matter) owned the Sabres.

To be fair to the board, it's just PA.

This unrealistic attitude about how money is spent at the corporate level is why this argument is so silly.

With all do respect, this is not corporate america this is a hockey team.

Even Jay frickin' Feaster quit as GM of the Lightning, not long after winning a cup, when the owners stuck their nose in there too much.

Do you think Lombardi (sp?) got approval from the owner(s) of the Kings to bring in Richards, Carter ... I really don't think so.

With all do respect, this is not corporate america this is a hockey team.

Even Jay frickin' Feaster quit as GM of the Lightning, not long after winning a cup, when the owners stuck their nose in there too much.

Do you think Lombardi (sp?) got approval from the owner(s) of the Kings to bring in Richards, Carter ... I really don't think so.

I GUARANTEE the Kings ownership was informed before those moves were made. Guarantee it.

I GUARANTEE the Kings ownership was informed before those moves were made. Guarantee it.

Wow!! You guarantee it, in caps too.

I didn't realize you were part of the Kings executive and / or ownership group.

Either that, or you are one of the Kings Insiderrrrrs ..........

When will see your name engraved on the cup .........

:P

EDIT TO ADD:

Upon rereading of your post the key word would be informed.

I agree they were informed. I don't think they needed the owners direct approval. That's my point.

Damn French Canadian keyboard switch.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Absolutely. Anschutz is famous for being reclusive, but for also asking his GM's a million questions. That doesn't mean he stands in the way, it just means he wants to be informed about what's happening.

Wow!! You guarantee it, in caps too.

I didn't realize you were part of the Kings executive and / or ownership group.

Either that, or you are one of the Kings Insiderrrrrs ..........

When will see your name engraved on the cup .........

:P

EDIT TO ADD:

Upon rereading of your post the key word would be informed.

I agree they were informed. I don`t think they needed the owners direct approval. That`s my point.

Informing the owner and gaining his approval is the same thing.

"Hey Terry, I'm going to do this."

"If you think that is best then okay."

The fabrication of some wild scenario where Timmy has to go up to Terry's office and give him a five hour powerpoint presentation on why they should buy out Leino is ridiculous.

While I believe there are varying degrees of owner involvement, I think in the early stages of an owner/GM relationship there is going to be a lot more communication until each person earns the others trust. Tim is probably still feeling Terry out as an owner and Terry wants to understand Tim's decision making process. As this relationship moves forward and Tim's decisions start delivering results I would expect that Terry will pull back.

But this is just like any other employee in any other job. The guy responsible for writing your checks is always going to be scrutinizing you when you're the "new guy". Tim is the "new guy" and he is going to have to play the game.

Absolutely. Anschutz is famous for being reclusive, but for also asking his GM's a million questions. That doesn't mean he stands in the way, it just means he wants to be informed about what's happening.

When an owner stops wanting to be informed is when I start becoming concerned. The owner of a company should always want to know what is going on below him.

Owners being involved / informed does not = owners deciding / meddling.

If GM Murray has to go to Mr. Pegula and say ... "It is best for the Sabres that we buyout Ville, is that OK with you chief?"

IMO, GM Murray will not be GM Murray for very long.

If, on the other hand, he goes and says the exact same thing, but without the question at the end all is good.

Owners being involved / informed does not = owners deciding / meddling.

If GM Murray has to go to Mr. Pegula and say ... "It is best for the Sabres that we buyout Ville, is that OK with you chief?"

IMO, GM Murray will not be GM Murray for very long.

If, on the other hand, he goes and says the exact same thing, but without the question at the end all is good.

What a bunch of nit-picking silliness.

GM TM wants to confer with the owner about a multi-million dollar buyout before cutting the check, and the board is revisiting the meddling narrative?

Wake me up when September ends.

You can hardly blame fans for being suspicious of the competency of Sabres' management/ownership. They have kind of shot themselves in the figurative foot over the last few years in that regard, even as recently as the disastrously managed departure of PLF

You can hardly blame fans for being suspicious of the competency of Sabres' management/ownership. They have kind of shot themselves in the figurative foot over the last few years in that regard, even as recently as the disastrously managed departure of PLF

The gaffes and blunders of ownership is something I think every fan will readily acknowledge at least on some level, but this wishing and hoping that Pegula would just sit in Florida and stroke checks when told while totally divorcing himself from the day to day operations of the team is silly. It's beyond ludicrous.

Excuse me, Suck, don't want to be here, hate, so on - so you didn't say hell exactly, but it sorta read that way. It is hard to point at anything good around here without ending up sounding like A cheerleader. I want things like this for BuffAlo - but maybe it will be a turd. Fine, then. This has the potential to be a greesy, corn-filled turd. There.

So what is the schedule for the combine participants?

How is this any better for Buffalo than landing a weekend Shower Curtain Ring Salesman Convention with 1,000 coming into town?

It does sound like cheerleading to me when people equate it with some huge competitive advantage because guys will be burning their agents phone lines up when they hit free agency so they can come to Buffalo.

And if it's going to be a corn-filled turd....I hope you got that corn from one of Buffalo's Amazing Food Trucks!

So what is the schedule for the combine participants?

How is this any better for Buffalo than landing a weekend Shower Curtain Ring Salesman Convention with 1,000 coming into town?

It does sound like cheerleading to me when people equate it with some huge competitive advantage because guys will be burning their agents phone lines up when they hit free agency so they can come to Buffalo.

And if it's going to be a corn-filled turd....I hope you got that corn from one of Buffalo's Amazing Food Trucks!

I guess it doesn't seem controversial to me that hosting a big NHL event like the combine (and hopefully the draft at some point) is likely to help the status of Buffalo as a hockey destination down the road. On a tangible level, the players and agents all get to see new and presumably state-of-the-art hockey facilities -- and if the city does a good job in putting its best foot forward, they get to see that Buffalo is a nice place. On an intangible level, it bolsters Buffalo's status as a hockey town.

Hard to see any downside here, and there is some upside.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.